Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 4.71 Average
Spriting A Rocket Launcher At 400% Speed (Pixel artists wanted for a Yoshi game!)
[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et_ardDMPHs[/yt]

As some of you may have noticed by my sig, I'm looking for pixel artists to sprite weapons for a game I'm working on in GameMaker 7. (I know, I know, not a really professional tool. I've seen professional works made with it though.)

The game itself is inspired by Soldat. It will be a side-scrolling platform shooter kind of game. Imagine it kind of like Smash Bros. mixed with Soldat (which in itself is kind of like a 2d version of Unreal Tournament). The game is populated entirely by Yoshis. You basically run around picking up weapons as they spawn, and beat the shiz out of eachother. (really, what more is there to multiplayer games?)

I do not have plans on it being online multiplayer, because I don't have that kind of experience yet. I've dabbled in online play a little, but it was a simple game with up, down, left, right movement. If I get this done though, online play might turn out to be a priority. For now, split screen multiplayer is the top priority and singleplayer modes being second.

Now, to the weapons part. I'm looking for pixel artists who want to have a weapon in the game. Any weapon you desire! I'm trying to load this game with weapons. Any weapons. Rifles, handguns, shotguns, machine guns, grenades, throwing knives, lasers, flaming chainsaw launchers, I don't care!

[Image: weaponsampleg19.png]
-- The weapon must be able to fit in the hands of Yoshi (as shown, Yoshi can grip the gun with at least one hand, two handed weapons are acceptable)

-- You'll notice that the gun itself is almost as big as Yoshi. (this is okay! It looks funny and is recommended)

-- Please try to keep the gun smaller than Yoshi (unless you want to make something huge like an RPG)

-- Create any gun you want! AK47s, Sawed-off shotguns, Desert Eagles, M4s, P90s, RPGs, whatever you feel like trying. Try to make it semi-realistic. It's okay to be a little silly when it comes to weapon-to-Yoshi proportion.

-- Melee weapons are also acceptable! (baseball bats, crowbars, chainsaws, giant wacky anime swords)

-- Thrown weapons would be nice! (Molotov cocktails, mines, throwing knives)

-- Ask me before making any special guns (like Portal guns, gravity guns, anything else that's crazy) I'm not really aiming to be that silly.

-- Credit will be given in text form unless you desire a special credit (ask me about logos, website links, etc. placed in the credits), please try and put your name on the weapon sprite sheet! (original Yoshi sprite by Shyguy Grey)

Thanks to anyone who's interested in working on this spriting project.

HERE IS A GOOD PLACE TO GET REFERENCE RENDERS OF GUNS AND OTHER WEAPONS
Here is another good place with references, the Combat Arms website!

WEAPONS ALREADY DONE:
Glock 19
AK47
Micro Uzi (2)
M-16
Mines
Energy Sword
RPG
Combat Knife
Minigun
AUG A1 Assault Rifle

PS: Sorry about not having a link to the Yoshi sprite sheet. I have it saved to a different computer. I'll upload it later!
[Image: 3djdbar2notglowing.png]
Very nice video.. I wish i could do something simular to that, i'll be sure to send some graphics people here for you ^__^
FREE PSN CARDS, XBOX LIVE, GAMES + MORE VIEW THREAD Here Yeye
Awesome, thanks. It's actually easy when you have a good reference. I always thought I was horrid when it came to spriting.
I personally think it's brilliant, I look forward to your game, I'm dying to test it out. Smile
FREE PSN CARDS, XBOX LIVE, GAMES + MORE VIEW THREAD Here Yeye
(10-25-2009, 08:57 AM)Codine Wrote: Very nice video.. I wish i could do something simular to that, i'll be sure to send some graphics people here for you ^__^

Its not very hard acctualy. It just takes loads of time.
[Image: Nyan.jpg]
I spent the last 20 minutes spriting an animated minigun. I think it turned out pretty good: [Image: 2cxswu8.gif]
On this grey background it looks like the gun is shaking but if you look at it on a lighter background it looks like it's spinning.

EDIT: We also have our first submitted sprite (from someone other than me!). My best friend Kensuga sprited this one: [Image: 263x5dw.png] (the only mistake with this is the small preview is an older un-textured version of the sprite. The big one is the final one)
I might give this a try although I haven't really done a lot of spriting in the past...

Edit:
Alrighty This is what I came up with. A katana with red to match his boots! lmao
I made one version sheathed and on unsheathed. I don't really like the way the sheath
turned out but its not horrible I guess. Anyway... here it is hope you like.
[Image: yoshi.jpg]
[Image: NewPeacesig.png]
Peace hath more tests of manhood then battle hath ever known.
Nice katanas s9. Tho I dont really like the end of em.
[Image: Nyan.jpg]
This looks interesting. I'll give it a shot later when I'm on windows.
[Image: mint.png]
(10-27-2009, 01:11 AM)s9TeeN Wrote: I might give this a try although I haven't really done a lot of spriting in the past...

Edit:
Alrighty This is what I came up with. A katana with red to match his boots! lmao
I made one version sheathed and on unsheathed. I don't really like the way the sheath
turned out but its not horrible I guess. Anyway... here it is hope you like.

Cool. I hope you don't mind, I modified it a little bit to help it look a little sharper on both bright and dark backgrounds and this is what I came up with:

[Image: x57dhv.png]

Also: A couple days ago I began working on the game's engine. I'm about to implement Yoshi's double jump (also known as a "flutter"). After I do that, I should be able to start on the weapons system. (picking up weapons, using them, determining how they affect your speed and jump height, and damage)

EDIT: The forums won't let me edit the first post, so I can't add your katana to the list of weapons done, but I am going to use it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Some random pixel art by me TalishHF 19 2,282 01-14-2012, 08:26 AM
Last Post: Fragma
  Calling all able Graphic artists. Teruko 10 1,715 07-27-2011, 10:14 AM
Last Post: Teruko
  Outstanding Artists: 8*B1t Eve 9 2,452 08-27-2010, 07:23 PM
Last Post: bkotz
  A Quick Yoshi Cartoon Based On A Doodle (XCF file for GIMP included) JDBar 8 3,534 12-27-2009, 06:33 PM
Last Post: Jordan L.