Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What operating system uses the least cpu?
I just installed XP on an old obsolete computer so that I could use it as a media server and torrent downloader and stuff. It has a pretty low quality cpu so I chose XP for the low system requirements and the windows networking capabilities, but now that I think about it I might be able to do the same things with this computer using a linux distro.

Can anyone recommend a linux os that has bare minimum cpu requirements and fancy networking capabilities compatible with windows computers on a windows network?
dam small linux i believe was good but most linux's dont use alot
http://www.slitaz.org/en/
Fact, not opinion.
I would imagine a linux os like centos would use the less cpu.
[Image: blazin.gif]
Yes you may try the linux mint it's light and fast.
The reason I ask is because I have a very low quality computer that I want to keep on my network for doing menial tasks. These are the three things that I want this computer to do:

-download/seed torrents all day long
-stream video over a network seamlessly
-Password protect shared files on a network so that only certain people can access certain folders + read only
-make use of the optical drive for burning, ripping dvds and cds. (the computer has a nice optical drive I don't want to go to waste)
-also needs to be able to play all video types

If there is a linux distro that can do all of that on a network of windows computers I would be super happy.
damn small linux or puppy linux are good small distros.
i believe puppy is a lot better than dsl though.
I use Puppy Linux on my sister's old computer for her. She only uses it for web browsing and email, and she loves it. I just have it boot from a USB driver for her, and it still runs fast. Definitely my choice over Damn Small Linux.
Ever heard of ReactOS?

Also, it doesn't depend on the OS as much. There's a factor of being 64 bit or 32 bit as well.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  which operating system is better? addneybain 1 425 07-04-2010, 11:49 PM
Last Post: allenrocnhi
  Best Operating system- Ubuntu Linux annemarie 0 308 01-10-2010, 09:59 PM
Last Post: annemarie