Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Antivirus working properly? [Test]
Here's a simple method to test most AV's for proper functionality. You should be able to check if it's responding properly by this one simple solution below:

Copy this into a notepad editor:
Code:
X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Before saving it, make sure that the file is exactly 68 bytes in size, it should be by default since the text is exactly 68 characters long and contains only printable ASCII encoded characters.

Save, and before too long you'll notice a virus warning. I actually ran a few tests, and Microsoft Security Essentials was the quickest to respond to the file. That proves one thing for performance on that little tool by Microsoft, Bitdefender seemed to have almost an instant reaction as well.

I typed this out into Notepad++ and it almost hung the application as soon as I pressed the save button lol. It was unresponsive for maybe 2 seconds before the text file was deleted from my desktop by the AV.
I tried with avira and it was pretty fast. Smile

(08-11-2011, 04:39 AM)H4CKCID_BURN Wrote: I tried with avira and it was pretty fast. Smile

Then your AV seems to be working like it should Smile
AVG didn't do crap, I really didn't expect it to either :l
Finally some solid proof that AVG sucks! lol

AVG should detect the file, however from what i'm reading, it only detects the file when you put a scan on it. If that were a real virus, the damage would have already been done.
This is eicar test file, isn't it?
"$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE"

Yeah, but AVG apparently doesn't scan it in realtime. It's the lazy couch potatoe of all the AV's i've ever seen.
I would try those tips that you had shared. Sometimes, there are antivirus scanners which are not working properly. With the tool that you had shared, we could test now if the antivirus software will work or not.
can a mac get a virus
I have seen and tried it before,my Antivirus Kaspersky detected the very second I done,

Quote:File-->save
[Image: Z95Xp.png]
That's pretty cool, I just tested this out and my anti virus is working just fine. Thanks Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best Free Antivirus? Jet 53 17,421 03-19-2012, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Existence
  Best/Good antivirus? Lеgеnd 18 4,353 12-14-2011, 04:40 AM
Last Post: prince_of_persia