Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dropped a screw in my notebook
I was disassembling the cpu fan to clean it and I dropped a screw. I started to disassemble the whole notebook to find it but I got to the point where I didn't know how to continue so I put everything back together and now its running like that from yesterday. What are the possible dangers of the screw being inside?
Verum quaere et insaniam inveni
I can't imagine a screw floating around in your notebook could be a good thing. Where did you purchase the notebook? Can you bring it to have it taken out?
If you google your laptop's model, you can usually find a guide on full disassembly, in the form of a manual.
(08-04-2011, 07:13 AM)Treblez Wrote: I was disassembling the cpu fan to clean it and I dropped a screw. I started to disassemble the whole notebook to find it but I got to the point where I didn't know how to continue so I put everything back together and now its running like that from yesterday. What are the possible dangers of the screw being inside?

If it happens to be in the wrong place, it can get caught up in the fan depending on the size of the screw, which can't be a really good thing, otherwise I don't think it would do much to be honest. Unless it's long enough to touch 2 parts of the circuit board in a place where it can short anything by coincidence, then it will just sit there.
(08-06-2011, 04:59 PM)Ace Wrote: If it happens to be in the wrong place, it can get caught up in the fan depending on the size of the screw, which can't be a really good thing, otherwise I don't think it would do much to be honest. Unless it's long enough to touch 2 parts of the circuit board in a place where it can short anything by coincidence, then it will just sit there.
there is only one fan as far as i can see - the CPU fan. on the video card there is no fan. the CPU fan is on the surface so to speak and I removed everything there and its not there. so it cant get caught in a fan. guess I will take to someone to repair it
Verum quaere et insaniam inveni
I've had a similar problem some time ago. I've lost one in my desktop, it got stuck somewhere, then I've just shaked my desktop around and suddenly it was fixed Tongue
(08-07-2011, 12:54 AM)Treblez Wrote: guess I will take to someone to repair it

Probably a good idea because a screw inside the laptop could possibly cause a short circuit, which would be a very expensive accident.
If it sits on the right spot, it may be able to pass current between a couple of resistors, circuts or capacitors.

Also the possibility (as stated above), that it could flick off the fan.

Really low possibility of this happening at all tbh. If your worried about it, use a magnet to get it out (magnetic tipped screw driver will do).

DO NOT USE A MAGNET IF ITS NEAR YOUR HDD. It will cause issues.
It's better to get screwed than to get nailed.
(08-18-2011, 02:16 AM)Extasey Wrote: If it sits on the right spot, it may be able to pass current between a couple of resistors, circuts or capacitors.

Also the possibility (as stated above), that it could flick off the fan.

Really low possibility of this happening at all tbh. If your worried about it, use a magnet to get it out (magnetic tipped screw driver will do).

DO NOT USE A MAGNET IF ITS NEAR YOUR HDD. It will cause issues.

Resistors maybe, but for that to do any damage it would have to connect and make a parallel circuit with what it's joining to for it to do any damage, and it would have to be where a change in current or voltage could blow something out. Capacitors, no, capacitors on a motherboard are usually right up against the board itself, with no metal exposed at all to where the current actually flows through it to store voltage.

(08-18-2011, 03:42 AM)Mono Wrote: It's better to get screwed than to get nailed.

I don't know what you meant by this at all...