Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Favourite Hacking/Security/Fraud Movie?
(07-24-2011, 05:56 AM)Evil Stewie Wrote: Operation Takedown, mostly because its based on a true story and most of the hacking in that movie is possible. And it doesn't have all those fancy screen graphics that Hackers got.Tho, Hackers is a lovable movie, it got an atmosphere that no other hacker movie got. And Angelina Jolie's boobs is on screen
Yh I agree.
I tend to dislike most movies that have anything to do with hacking or programming, because for whatever reason they NEVER hire someone who actually know what they're talking about to help with the scripting.

Like for instance, the new Tron...
At first, when the kid sits down at the computer in the arcade, he types in "whoami", and when I saw that I was like "ZOMG FINALLY! Finally a movie where they will type stuff that actually exists and makes sense...".
Then he tries to log in as root... doesn't work. Great, still off to a good start.
Then he tries to log in as backdoor.... lolwut? Why the fudge would anyone make a user named 'backdoor'? Things are getting weird...
Then he's logged in. Wait... you mean to tell me there was actually a user named backdoor? And it had no password? LOL!
I mean, I guess that could be true... but it's like they were trying to say he used some sort of backdoor to hack into the system.

And that's actually a pretty bad example, cuz they actually used real commands and stuff. A lot of times I see movies where they're trying to rob a bank or something and there's always that one guy that's got a laptop and he's like "Ok I'm hacking into the mainframe... OH crap, THERE ARE 5 LEVELS OF SECURITY! Ok ok, no problem... I can bypass them... crap! I'm stuck on the 5th layer, there is a password! Let me see if I can crack it......... GOT IT! I'm in!", and then all of a sudden he's got access to all of their files, and their security cameras, and control the temperature of people's pools and stuff xD

Ok enough ranting xD
In my personal opinion, Hackers was one of the worse movie's of all times.

I mean, I feel as myself of somewhat a "hacker", (I don't have a big ego on myself). But that movie basically makes fun of hackers, they dress up weird, they are weird, the whole movie is just odd, and I feel very very offended by it tbh.

Honestly, I think the show "Flash Point", is one of the best shows, idk about movies though.
Legitimate Marketer | Exchanger | Middle Man | RAT Expert
Operation Takedown and Die Hard 4 have to be my personal favourites. I agree with Deceive about the film Hackers.

It's hard to pick a favourite really.. Operation Takedown more realistic as it's based on a true story, and Die Hard 4 is the complete opposite, but still has a good story line & lots of action.
(07-31-2011, 07:20 PM)Terridax Wrote: I tend to dislike most movies that have anything to do with hacking or programming, because for whatever reason they NEVER hire someone who actually know what they're talking about to help with the scripting.

Like for instance, the new Tron...
At first, when the kid sits down at the computer in the arcade, he types in "whoami", and when I saw that I was like "ZOMG FINALLY! Finally a movie where they will type stuff that actually exists and makes sense...".
Then he tries to log in as root... doesn't work. Great, still off to a good start.
Then he tries to log in as backdoor.... lolwut? Why the fudge would anyone make a user named 'backdoor'? Things are getting weird...
Then he's logged in. Wait... you mean to tell me there was actually a user named backdoor? And it had no password? LOL!
I mean, I guess that could be true... but it's like they were trying to say he used some sort of backdoor to hack into the system.

And that's actually a pretty bad example, cuz they actually used real commands and stuff. A lot of times I see movies where they're trying to rob a bank or something and there's always that one guy that's got a laptop and he's like "Ok I'm hacking into the mainframe... OH crap, THERE ARE 5 LEVELS OF SECURITY! Ok ok, no problem... I can bypass them... crap! I'm stuck on the 5th layer, there is a password! Let me see if I can crack it......... GOT IT! I'm in!", and then all of a sudden he's got access to all of their files, and their security cameras, and control the temperature of people's pools and stuff xD

Ok enough ranting xD

I totally get you. Some of the things that I see are downright ridiculous. That is ridiculous though, and kind of funny about the backdoor thing. It is like the person had the smarts to change the password to the root account but they had the stupidity to make a username called backdoor.
I am always surprised about how fast they can 'hack the mainframe'. They will sit down at the computer (or not even sit down) and they will start mashing the keyboard and bypassed a few seconds later. In real life it would involve perhaps inserting a cd, restarting the computer, lots of waiting etc. But no, all it take is a bit of button mashing.

My most favourite movie ever which also happens to feature hackers in it is The Matrix. I love that movie incredibly but I still notice the things that you are talking about. Like the misconception that every hacker has a cocoon of monitors around them like in the matrix.
[Image: matrix001.jpg]

But trinity uses nmap in the matrix so that makes it a little better.
[Image: trinity-nmapscreen-hd-cropscale-418x250.jpg]

Every hacker always hacks in command line. ALWAYS. There is never any gui on anything they use. (Of course, why would they? That would be easy.)
I am astonished no one has mentioned Sneakers yet, by far best hacking movie I've seen, followed by Hackers.
[Image: Sig2.jpg]
I agree, OP. Catch me if you can is an excellent film.
I just love Die hard. As i am a great fan of Bruce Willis

Online Diploma
I'd also say Die Hard4. It was plain epic and I can even imagine it happening.
This has to be either Hackers or The Matrix. Both great movies. I haven't seen either in forever though.
[Image: swaganomics.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Favourite Movies of All Time? Fragma 17 3,861 01-07-2015, 01:44 AM
Last Post: Kunika
  What is your favorite movie? killermanjaro65 20 3,293 04-05-2014, 04:36 PM
Last Post: Brooke
  The "Last Movie You Watched" Thread Ignite. 42 9,104 04-05-2014, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Brooke
  21 Jump street movie rid47 8 1,723 08-05-2013, 07:28 AM
Last Post: Uzi
  Your last movie? Meat 25 5,422 08-05-2013, 07:26 AM