Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with replacing hdd.
I recently ordered an hdd online to replace the one in my laptop however I am getting a recurring error every time I try to install Windows on it.

I get this error:

Quote:"Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.

If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer.

Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred. "

These are the things that I have done as trouble shooting:
  1. Ran full diagnostic on hdd using geek squad MRI diagnostic boot disc (it passed all the tests)
  2. Used ubuntu live cd to format hdd to ntfs
  3. used ubuntu live cd to install linux on hdd (I got the same I/O error)

I don't know what else to do. Is this just a bad hdd?
Hmm if it passed all the tests thins is unlikely to be the problem. Reset the bios, set the boot order to cd then hdd. Also what size is the hdd? Because I remember having an error where my hdd had to be segmented as it was too large for the os to handle (bizarre I know)

Let me know how you get on or PM me for more help if you need go.
Okay I reset the bios and I changed the boot order but it did not work. I am starting to doubt that it is my hdd because I tried booting with my hdd that works and it didn't work then either. Then I tried booting the disc from another computer and it worked just fine. Now I am starting to think that it is my optical drive.

But the weird thing is that my optical drive works whenever I use it to view files on a disc or I use it to play a DVD. Why wouldn't I be able to use it to boot from disc?

My new hdd is 160GB by the way.
You could have a bad motherboard. Look into getting a new one as your hard drive seems to NOT be the problem.
(05-31-2011, 12:22 AM)Dustin™ Wrote: You could have a bad motherboard. Look into getting a new one as your hard drive seems to NOT be the problem.

Ugh, for a laptop? Definitely not. Not even for a desktop. I'd rather not spend any money.
I hate BIOS. That's why I use EFI, check next time when you buy a laptop!:O
I decided to make a new windows 7 disc and that fixed the problem. I can't imagine why it was the disc since the disc had worked on other computers, but no matter. The problem was fixed.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Insall OS on brand new blank HDD problem |Z3R0| 5 1,072 09-25-2011, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Tony Montana
  Windows 7 from Ext. HDD ProspectDotNet 19 3,919 10-09-2009, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Ovchik