Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Drivers are, and How to Update Them
A lot people on here have computer problems, and then get the simple response "Update your drivers", and the person receiving the information is like, "o.O What Brah?!?".

So what is a driver?
A driver is a file on a Windows-based personal computer that controls an internal or external device, such as a modem, video card, scanner or printer. Windows uses a driver to help the computer communicate with various gadgets attached to it.

Why I may need to update my Driver/s?
Windows 95/98/ME/XP/Vista as well as Windows NT/2000 Professional come with built-in drivers and often will automatically install a driver when a new device is added if the driver is already in the Windows driver library on the machine.
Occasionally, the system won’t recognize a new device and so you need to install a driver manually from a floppy disk or CD or DVD or from the Internet.
It’s always better to use a driver provided by the maker of the device rather than use the built-in Windows driver. It is usually more up-to-date and better written.
You should update a driver if a device is working strangely, too. The odd behavior can be attributed to a bug in the existing driver.
*For Windows 7 see below*

How to Update a Driver?

Simple software that can usually update your software are, Driver Detective, Or Driver Detective Trial Version.

However sometimes these software's cannot do the job or just do not cut it.

For Windows 7

Please see the official Microsoft write up, located here.

Thanks everybody,
Diesel.
Thanks for this great tutorial.
(05-22-2011, 01:52 PM):( Wrote: Thanks for this great tutorial.

I am glad you liked it Big Grin
Looks to me like a ripped guide. You should at least give credits where It's due.

As for the definition of a driver, It's actually a piece of software in which allows the CPU to communicate to the device via the kernel.
(05-22-2011, 09:15 PM)Splodge0007 Wrote: Looks to me like a ripped guide. You should at least give credits where It's due.

As for the definition of a driver, It's actually a piece of software in which allows the CPU to communicate to the device via the kernel.

Credits at the bottom.
by the way, it's really easy to update drivers in windows 7. i only update mines using windows update and the device manager. Confusedmile:

anyway, thanks for this. Big Grin
[Image: ic4Itm.png]
Those driver programs never work. Just goto a manafactur of computer website and download drivers there.
Thanks for the help man!
[Image: blackghost1.png]
(05-29-2011, 09:51 PM)Black Ghost Wrote: Thanks for the help man!

No problem man.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can't install ati drivers in Windows server 2003 Blackheim 3 2,388 12-25-2010, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Blackheim
  Need drivers... myposbussie 4 1,014 10-22-2010, 08:25 AM
Last Post: cheeseburger
  Need RAID controller drivers? myposbussie 1 880 04-06-2010, 07:49 AM
Last Post: Shadaw
  Need OpenGL Drivers for this laptop Mozz 3 799 02-15-2010, 08:35 AM
Last Post: ELY_M
  Mega Thread [DRIVERS] rated 24 3,188 11-28-2009, 10:52 PM
Last Post: d0noo7