Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How to change your fuel pump [Full Tut]
Hey guys, another tutorial. I wish i had found something like this when i changed mine lol. So, i thought i would post one.

The first part is for trucks only.

Well i'm not going to get into to much detail on how to tell if your fuel pump is out.
Basicly, lay under your vehicle with your hand on the fuel tank. Have a friend turn the key if you feel vibration or noise within the fuel tank, it's not your fuel pump. If you are stranded with your fuel pump out, have a friend hit the fuel tank with a hammer as hard as he can while you turn the key. Your vehicle should turn on and run for a block or two. Then repeat the process.

Steps To Changing Your Fuel Pump

1.Get under your truck, there should be about eight bolts holding on your bed. Take them all out with an air ratchet.

2.Once you have all the bolts removed, There is a neck from your gas tank that ends at your box, that's where you put fuel in at. Un bolt that from the outside, on the inside there is a ground wire, take that off. Look around for your tail light harness. Un-plug it.

3.Once the above steps are completed have a friend helpl you pick up your box and turn it sideways, so you can see your fuel tank. Rest the box on something sturdy.

4. Now to the tricky part. Depending on you can have a friend help you pick up the bed and turn it sideways so you can see the gas tank. Now, depending on the type of vehicle, this part is going to be a bitch to do. On your fuel tank there will be a circle or square. On this there should be multiple lines going to and from it. A couple inches from the base of them, should be a place where you can crack (open) the lines. Looses all the bolts and completely detach the lines.

5.Heres the hard part. Back to the module (shaped thing on your tank). There should be tabbed looking things, you will have to bend them in order to detach the module. On a chevy truck you bend two up and two down. On a ford truck you bend them all up. Once they are bent twist the module untill it comes loose. Try not to drop debris in your tank. A little bit is ok, your filter will take care of that. But if theres to much it will get clogged.

6.Once you have the module out it will look like a curvy pipe with a bunch of crap on it lol, this is called your sending unit. I highly recommend bringing the whole component to a mechanic to have it tested. It will save you a headache later.

7. After testing, on the very bottom of the sending unit there is a cylinder. Completely replace this part with the new one.

8.Now, put the whole unit back into your fuel tank. And bend the tabs in an opposite direction from witch you initially did to secure it. Re-attatch the lines. And put your box back on. Be careful not to cross thread your bolts.

I have looked into it, and on some older model trucks there is a hatch in the bad of your truck that once removed gives you access to the fuel module.

For A Car

On a car, you will do the same steps as stated above, except you will need to drop your gas tank. To do this, jack up your car and place it securely on jack stands. From there precede to loosen all the bolts on your tank and harness. While doing this, be sure to pull the positive battery cable. Repeat the above process.

It has also been brought to my attention that on some models of cars if you remove the seat, there is a plate witch once removed gives you access to the gas tank, I will thank caspur for that one.

This is only for vehicles with the pump in the gas tank.
I think that about covers everything. Enjoy.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.
/off topic
Might needa' fix number 8 bud.
And the lyrics in your sig, great song. Smile
[Image: arch2.png]
Yep, thanks. I didn't even see that. And yeah, it is a great song lol
Why would you take the bed off of a truck to change the fuel pump? Why not just drop the tank? I changed my fuel module on my 98 dodge ram 1500 and it seems like dropping the tank would be easier. I didn't need jacks or nothing just got under the truck dropped the tank, disconnected the fuel lines and wiring and dragged the tank out, change the module, push it back under there get a jack, jack it up and reconnect everything and bolt it back up. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with what your saying just seems like a lot of work but, I've never tried it I could be wrong.

And on some cars (like my 99 Eclipse) you can change the fuel pump by removing the back seat and unbolting a plate. Just a little info so you don't go dropping the tank if you don't have to.

Thanks for the tut.
[Image: casper2fin3.png]

Will Trade Demonoid invite for torrentkids. PM mE
That is also an option, but from personal expierence there is usually gas in the tank. And i have done it both ways, i just find removing the bed much much easier. And i will add that to the car section, i have never come across a car like that before. And thanks.
LOl, right after this was posted my friend need help changing his fuel pump.
Would be awesome if you had pictures.

Non the less, good tutorial!
Its a unique tutorial, I have never such a tut around net. Thankx for the sharing
Thanks for the suggestions, i have some pictures from when i changed my friends. I will post them and find some arount the internet.

@immi, is the unique part good?
Nice tutorial. I will print this out and change my fuel pump Big Grin It would be nice if you could upload some pictures if you got any Smile Thanks for sharing this Thumbsup
[Image: theblackmarketwqryt.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Options When Purchasing a Replacement Diesel Fuel Pump Or Diesel Injector ldtest Bench 0 838 08-05-2013, 04:40 AM
Last Post: ldtest Bench
  How to remove oil from your radiator! [Full tut] ktmrider530 9 13,329 02-19-2012, 03:31 AM
Last Post: ktmrider530
  99 eclipse feul pump junk dsm 8 1,580 11-21-2011, 12:11 AM
Last Post: martinnman
  Power/fuel problem? Extasey 17 3,278 12-12-2009, 02:45 AM
Last Post: Extasey
  How to install a lift kit.[Full Tut] ktmrider530 19 4,391 12-07-2009, 08:29 PM
Last Post: WMM