Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[TUT] Securing Your Email Address
I have for years now setup a complex system of securing my email address. While it's one thing to protect against viruses and phishing. It's entirely different to protect your email address.

Many advise to use different passwords for your many accounts. This is good advise but it lacks one basic fact. If they get your email you are owned. Some of us have used the same email for dozens maybe even hundreds of sites. You could have a different password for them all but if your email account is compromised you'll be vulnerable on them all.

Most sites allow a password reset or password forgotten feature attached to your email. Any entry into your email will leave you completely open. For this reason I am going to show you a method to protect your email account.

One problem is people using a gmail, msn or yahoo email address. These large providers which offer free services often do not work well with you for recovering stolen accounts. They provide no phone contact and often don't have any information on file to check the truth on who owns the account. And by the time you do recover your account the damage may already have been done.

Here is the method I have used for years.

1. Setup a Gmail account.
2. Register a domain. I recommend Namecheap but many use Godaddy as well. For security minded individuals I recommend Moniker.
3. Host the domain somewhere that will allow email forwards. Namecheap comes with this feature free with registration.
4. Setup an email on your domain that will forward to your new Gmail account.
5g. Never publish your Gmail account email.

How does this protect you? Well for starters you will be publishing your domain email address. This can't be brute forced. It's not a pop3 box so there is no login password.

The Gmail account is never published. So no one knows to brute force it. It's also considered disposable for that reason. If it does get stolen you don't care.

So what happens in my security setup when your email is compromised? You simply change the forward to a new Gmail account. The hacker is instantly prevented from causing any new damage.

I have used this for years very successfully. It cuts down on spam and has done well imho to prevent compromised security. I even take it a step further and use multiple forwards and email address.

When you own the domain you have more control. You can login to Namecheap and simply alter the forward so that any email the hacker might be intercepting gets stopped.

Enjoy.
Superman I am here to rescue you.
This is Support Forums not Support PMs.  Do not PM me for support unless it's private and site related.
I have never thought about this, thank you for the tip.

I currently don't own a domain but i'll get hold of one very soon just for the fact that this seems too good to miss out on. I'm all for security.
[Image: 3326yvl.jpg]

Simple and straight to the Point, Thanks Omni this is really helpful information.
Never got the idea to do it that way.
Do you know any ways of securing an email address that people might know about?
[Image: 531hf7.jpg]
(10-20-2009, 09:27 AM)Conspiracy Wrote: Do you know any ways of securing an email address that people might know about?

Did you not read the tutorial?
Superman I am here to rescue you.
This is Support Forums not Support PMs.  Do not PM me for support unless it's private and site related.
Very nice tutorial Omni, i would +Rep you, but you don't care about reps so there is no point.. Very nice tutorial tho, i'll be sure to bookmark this page. Smile
FREE PSN CARDS, XBOX LIVE, GAMES + MORE VIEW THREAD Here Yeye
Thanks for the tutorial, and also i think this is the first ever tut i've seen from you.
I once gain access to a girls myspace, and repeatedly fudged with her profile day after day, i would post stuff like "change your password" lol i even posted a tut on how to change your password on her profile. I had access to everything she had saved in firefox. I messed with them all, she never once changed her passwords.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.
Nice tut. I've never thought about it before. Definitely something to consider when I get a domain.

Thanks Omni.
Hmmm yeah great idea, I'll have to use this if I ever get a paid domain. Sucks that you can't do this with free hosting. >.>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What Can Someone Do With Your IP Address and How to Prevent? tk-hassan 0 1,102 08-23-2020, 11:57 PM
Last Post: tk-hassan
  Hide your mac address with this. Black Shadow 19 7,842 07-11-2013, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Connected
  [TUT]Removing Vista Security 2011[/TUT] Brandenx781 8 6,945 03-10-2012, 02:59 PM
Last Post: Alreiger
  [TuT] How to do a quick secondary scan for Spyware [TuT] Cyber-Security 1 1,049 07-20-2011, 07:45 AM
Last Post: Drakon
  [Tutorial] Securing Radmin on your computer. Codine 3 1,464 04-07-2010, 11:57 PM
Last Post: Carb0n F1ber