Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Email Notification for Emotional Support
I'm suggesting we add an optional prefix option for Emotional Support called [SUPPORT NEEDED] and [CLOSED] as an example. And if the support was given, you can change it to [CLOSED] but you are asked add a closing post. Like how the situation went, what you will do in the future, etc. And if it still at [SUPPORT NEEDED] after a couple of days and e-mail will go out saying "Did you get your support?" so people can close the post.

I'm asking this, because me and many others do enjoy listening to how people's situation turned out..but they never post about it. This will encourage it.
(05-03-2011, 04:51 PM)Laugh Wrote: I'm suggesting we add an optional prefix option for Emotional Support called [SUPPORT NEEDED] and [CLOSED] as an example. And if the support was given, you can change it to [CLOSED] but you are asked add a closing post. Like how the situation went, what you will do in the future, etc. And if it still at [SUPPORT NEEDED] after a couple of days and e-mail will go out saying "Did you get your support?" so people can close the post.

I'm asking this, because me and many others do enjoy listening to how people's situation turned out..but they never post about it. This will encourage it.

Brilliant idea. This can be implemented in the other support forums too if people need to ask for help.

But the problem is that a lot of those people are either Support Feather junkies or one time question askers.
They come, they ask, they go. Or so I've noticed :/
I don't think it would be a good idea, it's not really needed. I'd say this would be better suited in any of the computer support areas, where the problem is truly fixed.

For emotional support, maybe the person thinks they don't need any further support, but someone else has an idea of something else to say that does turn out to benefit the original poster of the thread, even when they think they couldn't have recieved any more help from members on SF. There's always that chance where someone might come out with something good to say that makes the original poster change his mind or try to take a different approach on implementing or considering the posted advice or tips given.

Either way, it's always nice to get a comment that says "well I understand how you feel, but I hope things will sort themselves out soon for you Smile". Or maybe someone else has gone through the same thing, and has a post to share on the subject. It could be possible that the original poster would be interested in the fact that other people deal with the same thing, or learning how they cope with the subject.

In addition, why stop the activity within the thread at any given point? SF is a growing community still.
(05-03-2011, 09:00 PM)Infinity Wrote: I don't think it would be a good idea, it's not really needed. I'd say this would be better suited in any of the computer support areas, where the problem is truly fixed.

For emotional support, maybe the person thinks they don't need any further support, but someone else has an idea of something else to say that does turn out to benefit the original poster of the thread, even when they think they couldn't have recieved any more help from members on SF. There's always that chance where someone might come out with something good to say that makes the original poster change his mind or try to take a different approach on implementing or considering the posted advice or tips given.

Either way, it's always nice to get a comment that says "well I understand how you feel, but I hope things will sort themselves out soon for you Smile". Or maybe someone else has gone through the same thing, and has a post to share on the subject. It could be possible that the original poster would be interested in the fact that other people deal with the same thing, or learning how they cope with the subject.

In addition, why stop the activity within the thread at any given point? SF is a growing community still.

It actually IS needed. It would clarify more things between users and keep them up to date with the situation whether it is fixed or still needs work on. Do you not have a soul Infinity? I mean really, just say that its an alright idea Roflmao.
[Image: t5BWm.png]
It's not an alright Idea, we still should encourage activity here. If people are going to contribute to a thread, i'm sure the prefix won't stop them anyway. If they can't read the thread to check whether the original poster has said that it was all the help he/she needed that shouldn't be the original posters fault. Like I said it would benefit more in a technical area of the forum where problems can be affirmed as being solved 100%.

If someone has depression, the depression won't end, it's still there, it may feel better from day to day, and worse on the odd day, but there's no surefire cure for it. Typically psychologists say that a person with depression will experience it worse the next time they go into a depressed state because of the psychological effect it has on the persons mind of feeling that they failed at something (causing them to go back to being depressed). This would only make the person believe even more that whatever they do can't solve anything because they will always end up in the same hole they began in. Emotional support is different, so i'd never agree with this suggestion.

Maybe for the computer support areas of the forum as i've stated. Hijackthis team has their mods to close the forum as Quintus does when a thread is solved. For any computer support forum, people could have a prefix.

If the persons problem happens to change because the situation is unpredictable, what if they encounter something else after they have confirmed it as "No more help needed"? They will only end up changing the prefix again and asking for more help, whereas in the computer support area, if it's solved, it's solved, and any further problems are a new problem in most cases.

In sum, I'd have to say that for anyone who needs help it would be nice to have continuous support while you're trying to solve a problem, and/or even after the problem has been solved, for motivation to keep it going. Whether the problem is solved or not. Without prefixes it would be easier to update your thread with newer events as well.

It's just not a good idea, I can provide more of my reasons for why I think it wouldn't suit the Emotional support section, but I have thought of how this could benefit any general computer problem area of the forum, (Other than malware that the HJ squad deals with). Hardware problems, program issues, compatibility, custom builds, error messages, etc..
(05-03-2011, 09:00 PM)Infinity Wrote: I don't think it would be a good idea, it's not really needed. I'd say this would be better suited in any of the computer support areas, where the problem is truly fixed.

Well that's why it is optional for threads like "how do I go about kissing this girl?" If he ended up doing it using SF's advice he can post and close the thread. That is what I'm referring to.

(05-03-2011, 09:26 PM)The High Roller Wrote: It actually IS needed. It would clarify more things between users and keep them up to date with the situation whether it is fixed or still needs work on. Do you not have a soul Infinity? I mean really, just say that its an alright idea Roflmao.

It is not needed, just an idea. That was just rude, he has his opinion.

(05-03-2011, 10:04 PM)Infinity Wrote: It's not an alright Idea, we still should encourage activity here. If people are going to contribute to a thread, i'm sure the prefix won't stop them anyway. If they can't read the thread to check whether the original poster has said that it was all the help he/she needed that shouldn't be the original posters fault. Like I said it would benefit more in a technical area of the forum where problems can be affirmed as being solved 100%.

If someone has depression, the depression won't end, it's still there, it may feel better from day to day, and worse on the odd day, but there's no surefire cure for it. Typically psychologists say that a person with depression will experience it worse the next time they go into a depressed state because of the psychological effect it has on the persons mind of feeling that they failed at something (causing them to go back to being depressed). This would only make the person believe even more that whatever they do can't solve anything because they will always end up in the same hole they began in. Emotional support is different, so i'd never agree with this suggestion.

Maybe for the computer support areas of the forum as i've stated. Hijackthis team has their mods to close the forum as Quintus does when a thread is solved. For any computer support forum, people could have a prefix.

If the persons problem happens to change because the situation is unpredictable, what if they encounter something else after they have confirmed it as "No more help needed"? They will only end up changing the prefix again and asking for more help, whereas in the computer support area, if it's solved, it's solved, and any further problems are a new problem in most cases.

In sum, I'd have to say that for anyone who needs help it would be nice to have continuous support while you're trying to solve a problem, and/or even after the problem has been solved, for motivation to keep it going. Whether the problem is solved or not. Without prefixes it would be easier to update your thread with newer events as well.

It's just not a good idea, I can provide more of my reasons for why I think it wouldn't suit the Emotional support section, but I have thought of how this could benefit any general computer problem area of the forum, (Other than malware that the HJ squad deals with). Hardware problems, program issues, compatibility, custom builds, error messages, etc..

I understand what you mean about depression, but that is why it's optional for other types of things like the computer section you said.
Optional might be okay then. For people who don't want any further help in an emotional support thread, they can use the prefixes. Otherwise they can keep it out.

Maybe then the prefixes would be something like "Help" "Closed" and "Open Discussion" ?
Yeah, more options the better.
(05-03-2011, 04:51 PM)Laugh Wrote: I'm suggesting we add an optional prefix option for Emotional Support called [SUPPORT NEEDED] and [CLOSED] as an example. And if the support was given, you can change it to [CLOSED] but you are asked add a closing post. Like how the situation went, what you will do in the future, etc. And if it still at [SUPPORT NEEDED] after a couple of days and e-mail will go out saying "Did you get your support?" so people can close the post.

Great idea mate. I would definitely love to see that in SF.
As for the thread prefixes, this is support forums so all sections for support should get them?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Email Design Best Practices: How to Design the Perfect Email Newsletter atekur1234 0 825 03-13-2017, 12:26 AM
Last Post: atekur1234
  Email Design Best Practices: How to Design the Perfect Email Newsletter atekur1234 0 778 03-13-2017, 12:24 AM
Last Post: atekur1234
  Bad image notification Brandon 6 1,228 12-01-2010, 01:46 PM
Last Post: Skill
  Notification: SF Theme Glitch... Resistance 4 1,164 11-25-2010, 04:15 PM
Last Post: MarkW7
  [Suggestion] Emotional 'Support' Reality 7 1,446 10-02-2010, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Omniscient