Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
.Net Coding Challenge #1
(04-16-2011, 02:26 PM)Infinity Wrote: No, I guess i'm the odd one out lol. What if there is a word like "Great" would it cut out at "eat" since e is the first vowel?

Edit: downloading your project to see for myself.

Hmm it came out as "eat-gray"??

Yea but you would pronounce it "ate-gray".

Chinese -> inese-chay
Starter -> arter-stay
Flash -> ash-flay
etc..
(04-16-2011, 02:31 PM)KoBE Wrote: Yea but you would pronounce it "ate-gray".

Chinese -> inese-chay
Starter -> arter-stay
Flash -> ash-flay
etc..

KoBE, I am just putting it out there that this long lost forgotten trashy language is useless completely. Make better contests... For real.
No one has use for these stupid apps we made.
[Image: t5BWm.png]
(04-16-2011, 03:03 PM)The High Roller Wrote: KoBE, I am just putting it out there that this long lost forgotten trashy language is useless completely. Make better contests... For real.

Then you missed the whole point of this contest. The point is to create more activity within this section. The contest part is more or less a test of coding skill. Coding something you've never done before helps you gain knowledge in areas you were previously not as skilled in.

For example:
Instead of complaining you could be taking note to the way I coded this compared to the way you did. Look at areas of your program that aren't as complete and try to improve on it. Look at how I used arrays to get a better understanding of how to use them.

The High Roller Wrote:Make better contests... For real.

Just because you did not like this challenge doesn't mean others didn't. Even if you don't have any use for the app itself, you can still learn from the functionality of it and possibly incorporate the same ideas in future projects. So if you insist on being pessimistic then go ahead. But trashing this contest is not helping anything. Including the coding section.
(04-16-2011, 02:26 PM)Infinity Wrote: Update: basically what i've got is that if it's "Keep" the first vowel is "e" so it would be "eep" ... add "ay" onto the end, which makes it "eep-ay" and since the first letter that was cut out was a "K" that would make it "eep-kay"? Is that all there is in pig latin? "crwth" with no vowels came out as "h-ay" for me. which means nothing was appended to the "ay" but it still took the last letter as "h" even though "t" isn't a vowel.

I fixed the VB code. I didn't test to make sure my "no vowel" catch worked. I fixed the code now, so it will give a message stating there are no vowels.

And you are correct about keep -> eep-kay.
(04-16-2011, 03:26 PM)KoBE Wrote: Then you missed the whole point of this contest. The point is to create more activity within this section. The contest part is more or less a test of coding skill. Coding something you've never done before helps you gain knowledge in areas you were previously not as skilled in.

For example:
Instead of complaining you could be taking note to the way I coded this compared to the way you did. Look at areas of your program that aren't as complete and try to improve on it. Look at how I used arrays to get a better understanding of how to use them.

The High Roller Wrote:Make better contests... For real.

Just because you did not like this challenge doesn't mean others didn't. Even if you don't have any use for the app itself, you can still learn from the functionality of it and possibly incorporate the same ideas in future projects. So if you insist on being pessimistic then go ahead. But trashing this contest is not helping anything. Including the coding section.
(04-16-2011, 02:26 PM)Infinity Wrote: Update: basically what i've got is that if it's "Keep" the first vowel is "e" so it would be "eep" ... add "ay" onto the end, which makes it "eep-ay" and since the first letter that was cut out was a "K" that would make it "eep-kay"? Is that all there is in pig latin? "crwth" with no vowels came out as "h-ay" for me. which means nothing was appended to the "ay" but it still took the last letter as "h" even though "t" isn't a vowel.

I fixed the VB code. I didn't test to make sure my "no vowel" catch worked. I fixed the code now, so it will give a message stating there are no vowels.

And you are correct about keep -> eep-kay.

I had not said anything about disliking the challenge. I am telling you that you should have made a challenge for any application that people might actually find somewhat helpful. Knowing a language no one speaks, helps no one.
[Image: t5BWm.png]
I'm working on this project currently. I'm just about done and i'll submit my application later.
(04-16-2011, 05:18 PM)Infinity Wrote: I'm working on this project currently. I'm just about done and i'll submit my application later.

Sweet. Can't wait to see how you do it.
(04-16-2011, 05:38 PM)KoBE Wrote: Sweet. Can't wait to see how you do it.

I started out by using a string array for the values of the vowels as a,e,i,o,u, and y since you added that as well. But I forgot to use and append the ay and way with the "-" which messed things up when I tried to convert back to english from piglatin. But I had to use a similar loop for searching and adding the code to each word by splitting them and putting them back together in the converted output text field. I noticed on some online piglatin converters that if there was no vowels in the word, that it would still convert it, but it would only move the first word to the end and apply "ay" to it. So thats what i'm trying to work on right now, unless that is improper piglatin, or I give up on going back through all of my code.

I actually ended up deleting a lot of my code and re-doing it, but I did use a method of trimming characters off from the end, by using if then statements to determine whether it was a -way or -ay suffix that I would need to remove.
(04-16-2011, 10:25 PM)Infinity Wrote: So thats what i'm trying to work on right now, unless that is improper piglatin

As far as I know there isn't 'proper' pig latin. The hypen definitely makes it easier to convert back to English though. And as far as words with no vowels.. if it doesn't have a vowel, then it isn't a word right? Atleast that's what I was always taught. That's why 'y' is considered a vowel sometimes.
(04-16-2011, 10:32 PM)KoBE Wrote: As far as I know there isn't 'proper' pig latin. The hypen definitely makes it easier to convert back to English though. And as far as words with no vowels.. if it doesn't have a vowel, then it isn't a word right? Atleast that's what I was always taught. That's why 'y' is considered a vowel sometimes.

Actually no "Crwth" is actually a word (English), it's a Greek stringed instrument. It's a very uncommon word for the english definition though. And I actually started to think that it was impossible to convert back to English without the hyphen.... After I did ALL of the code for converting the English to piglatin and making all of my functions. Mostly because if you have a word like "great"

That would be "eatgray" without hyphens, but how do you know back to English that it's not "tgrea". I know it would seem logical that it isn't, but you can't really write a function for that to determine it. Whereas in your code, you had it take the text in between the "-" and the "ay" to bring it back to the front, and you just took away those extra letters and the dash.
(04-16-2011, 10:45 PM)Infinity Wrote: Whereas in your code, you had it take the text in between the "-" and the "ay" to bring it back to the front, and you just took away those extra letters and the dash.

Yea, with out the dash it's almost impossible to know whether you took two characters from the front or just one. Also even with the dash... if you have a word like "work" it would be ork-way... but converting back it would be ork. Because ork translated to pig latin would be ork-way as well. This challenge definitely has some holes in it. But it still helps stimulate your programming/logic skills.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Code Challenge - Created by Ace AceInfinity 5 1,447 04-24-2012, 10:27 AM
Last Post: AceInfinity
  Help with coding jerrojack 1 747 12-29-2011, 03:27 AM
  Coding-Central.net - Coding, cracking and webmastering. w00pz 5 2,002 09-02-2011, 01:43 PM
  Help Coding A Downloader? Fragma 9 2,768 08-25-2011, 06:10 PM
Last Post: LiveModz
  .Net Coding Challenge #5 iCrack 18 4,695 05-21-2011, 12:49 AM
Last Post: thanasis2028