Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Code Reader [TuT]
If you are having trouble with your check engine light and don't want to spend hundreds of dollars figuring out your problem, you might want to continue reading.

Code readers come in many shapes and sizes and vary in price. Some are available at very cheap prices. Below is an image of a standard code reader.

It is a safe bet to assume that every part on your car is monitored by an electronic system. The code reader will read all electronic systems and return any errors. This will give you an idea of where your problem lies. (Note: The code reader may not always tell you what the exact problem is.)

Now that you get the gist of things I will guide you through a more detailed tutorial that includes pictures.

1. Check Engine Light
This indicates a problem. It may indicate problems that you can not see, hear, smell, feel, etc. It is always in your best interest to have this looked into and I will show you how to do it yourself.
[Image: IMG_0094.jpg]

2. The Code Reader
This tool will help you identify any malfunctions your ECU (Electronic Control Unit) has come across. It will go through the electronic system checking for any malfunction codes that may be transmitted.
[Image: IMG_0096.jpg]

3. The "D" Plug"
This is the plug that you will insert the male connection of your code reader to. It is usually located on the driver's side.
[Image: IMG_0095.jpg]

4. Using Your Code Reader
  1. When you are ready to use your code reader be sure that your ignition is turned slightly so that only the electronics kick on. Do not run your engine during this process. Also, you should not turn the code reader on either as it will power itself up upon connection. Go ahead and insert your code reader into the "D" plug.
    [Image: IMG_0097.jpg]

2. Allow your code reader to communicate with your vehicles electronics unit. Be patient as this process will not take long. An indication that this process is taking place with appear on the reader.
    [Image: IMG_0100.jpg]

3. When your code reader has finished reading through the electronics system it will either show you the number of codes that were found or it will show that there are no codes. If your check engine light was on you will get error codes without a doubt.
    [Image: IMG_0101.jpg]

4. Use the operator buttons on your code reader to view your error codes. Write your codes down or have your handbook ready when you do this.
    [Image: IMG_0102.jpg]

5. Checking Your Codes
Read through the list of codes in your handbook to diagnose your problem. A short description of the problem will be given. You may decide to buy new parts are have the problem reviewed further at an auto store or your dealership.
[Image: codes.jpg]

I hope you all enjoy reading my first major tutorial! Smile
[Image: arch2.png]
Yeah engine check light tools are great. I don't need one though for a Dodge. There is a trick I will post as a new thread.
Superman I am here to rescue you.
This is Support Forums not Support PMs.  Do not PM me for support unless it's private and site related.
(10-19-2009, 08:33 AM)Omniscient Wrote: Yeah engine check light tools are great. I don't need one though for a Dodge. There is a trick I will post as a new thread.

Cool, my little brother has a dodge. I'd like to see what your little trick is.
BUMP

Tutorial completed