Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Anyone on meds?
I currently take a couple chill pills as I like to call them. First I take Lamictal which is a mood stabilizer but it was originally designed to control seizures and then I take Wellbutrin which is for depression. Between the two I am very relaxed and my anxiety level is very low. I started taking them about 2 years ago after trying for 2 years with various formulas (prozac and such).

I also sometimes down an Ambien which really knocks you out.

Here I am after I took one.
[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODbPomOHdE8[/yt]

I have a prescription for them all btw.
Superman I am here to rescue you.
This is Support Forums not Support PMs.  Do not PM me for support unless it's private and site related.
Are you depressed, Omniscient? If so, do enlighten us as to why. I'd like to help, if that's possible.
Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out.
Well...I am bipolar..or some variant. The shrinks can't seem to decide. Wouldn't you be bummed out too if your life consisted of sitting around answering forums post? I also sit home taking care of my 4 kids which is very stressful too.

And don't be too fooled. I take a low dose of both meds. I used to have serious mood swings and anxiety. The meds are more for that than depression.
This is Support Forums not Support PMs.  Do not PM me for support unless it's private and site related.
(10-19-2009, 12:01 AM)Omniscient Wrote: Well...I am bipolar..or some variant. The shrinks can't seem to decide. Wouldn't you be bummed out too if your life consisted of sitting around answering forums post? I also sit home taking care of my 4 kids which is very stressful too.

And don't be too fooled. I take a low dose of both meds. I used to have serious mood swings and anxiety. The meds are more for that than depression.

That's unfortunate. Think of the bright side: you have a wife and kids whom I'm sure love you very much. Personally, I wouldn't mind posting on forums all day as it's what I enjoy, but that's based on one's opinion.
It could be worse, so for the sake of the people who have it bad, let's make the most of what we have.
I hope everything goes well for you, Omniscient.
Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out.
@Omni:
With my experience with treating bipolar patients, a typical bipolar is either mostly manic, mostly depressive or both but you don't look or act like any of those though tbh. Lamictal is the standard treatment for mood disorder and/or bipolar 1 (if recall that correctly) if that's how they diagnosed your disorder to be.

Bipolar 1 is the most difficult (in my part) to treat since they have mixed moods and then large bouts of major depression after some manic episodes. Sometimes there are these manic episodes when sometimes the patient has hallucinations or delusions or both.

Wellbutrin is another antidepressant, I don't encounter that much use of it here tbh, all I know is that it treats seasonal mood disorders and some form of depression.

At least your not taking Lithium, those are for the severe bipolar cases that are highly unstable, they have some serious side effects and you have to monitor your lithium blood levels, since ODs can have serious repercussions on your well-being.

Well kids really change your world, as one would say. My brother has 2 of his own, good thing they're 7 and 11 years of age now, easier to manage, just give em TV, a Computer or a book, then they're all set. Big Grin

What do you do (non pharmacologic) when you're dealing with stress when you're in between taking your meds Omni?

@topic:
Personally I have no known disorder of any sort (I should since I need to nurse people back to health. lol), I just have migraine mostly (treated with distraction and pain killers) and myopia (glasses and contacts). Was diagnosed with click murmur (mitral valve prolapse) but meh, was just 15% backflow and not really a serious case of mitral valve regurgitation and doesn't require valvuloplasty. Smile
[Image: wa3bbk.jpg]
Help us help you...
(10-19-2009, 12:01 AM)Omniscient Wrote: Well...I am bipolar..or some variant. The shrinks can't seem to decide. Wouldn't you be bummed out too if your life consisted of sitting around answering forums post? I also sit home taking care of my 4 kids which is very stressful too.

I find that a little amusing.
Only because i also am diagnosed bipolar.
I take Valium or diazapam normally. But to be honest its prob been a year since i took any. I really really wanna beat it through my own mind. Largely it works actually.
The Rules!
FTW Forum <-- Home of the Damned! --> Join me On MM

(10-19-2009, 02:54 AM)DAMINK™ Wrote: I find that a little amusing.
Only because i also am diagnosed bipolar.
I take Valium or diazapam normally. But to be honest its prob been a year since i took any. I really really wanna beat it through my own mind. Largely it works actually.

I agree with willpower usage when dealing with personal problems, especially psychological, when you will it, it can happen, but it does tend to drain you sometimes, and those are the times that a little medicine can help. Don't you get tired fighting it yourself DAMINK? Did you get to go to the doctor often to follow up?
(10-19-2009, 03:09 AM)n1tr0b Wrote: Anyone got good advice for asthma??

What type of asthma are you said to have according to your physician? Have you checked with your doctor? I personally would suggest you keep your meds handy, and keep away from your allergens (things that trigger your asthmatic attack, like pollen, fur, dust, etc.). If your doctor says you need to nebulize, please do so at the set times. It is a bit hard to medicate oneself, since it is an unnatural and alienating routine that really doesn't fit into our daily activities of living, but the good thing about people is that we can adapt to it.

Have a nice day.

Blackhat
Help us help you...
(10-19-2009, 03:20 AM)S0rath 0f the Black Sun Wrote: I agree with willpower usage when dealing with personal problems, especially psychological, when you will it, it can happen, but it does tend to drain you sometimes, and those are the times that a little medicine can help. Don't you get tired fighting it yourself DAMINK? Did you get to go to the doctor often to follow up?

It is very draining and i do suffer all the "typical" symptoms. Loads of anger build up until a explosion of sorts normally and then followed up by depression. But knowing its coming is my weapon. Sure i cant stop it always but i am aware its me and not my wife or family.
As for going back to the doctor. No i have not for a while actually. A few years ago yea i had to go all the time to make sure i was not on too big a dose of lithium but i pulled myself off them mainly because of the side effects. Sure they worked great but i felt like i always needed a crap. Sorry but its the truth. 24/7 i felt like i needed to go to the loo. Could not deal with it. Also when i did not take them i felt the strength of my anger build to higher levels than i could deal with.
It felt to me anyway that the pills took away my ability to deal with or counter the problem if you will. If i kept taking them i felt i risked becoming a fruit loop. And i am better than that and proved as much Smile
Since then i have got married. I have had 2 kids and 2 more coming. I have a successful job where at the time i was on meds i could not work as i was too up and down.
Dunno i feel its a success but every day is a new one.
Wow that was a long post.
The Rules!
FTW Forum <-- Home of the Damned! --> Join me On MM

(10-19-2009, 03:34 AM)DAMINK™ Wrote: It is very draining and i do suffer all the "typical" symptoms. Loads of anger build up until a explosion of sorts normally and then followed up by depression. But knowing its coming is my weapon. Sure i cant stop it always but i am aware its me and not my wife or family.
As for going back to the doctor. No i have not for a while actually. A few years ago yea i had to go all the time to make sure i was not on too big a dose of lithium but i pulled myself off them mainly because of the side effects. Sure they worked great but i felt like i always needed a crap. Sorry but its the truth. 24/7 i felt like i needed to go to the loo. Could not deal with it. Also when i did not take them i felt the strength of my anger build to higher levels than i could deal with.
It felt to me anyway that the pills took away my ability to deal with or counter the problem if you will. If i kept taking them i felt i risked becoming a fruit loop. And i am better than that and proved as much Smile
Since then i have got married. I have had 2 kids and 2 more coming. I have a successful job where at the time i was on meds i could not work as i was too up and down.
Dunno i feel its a success but every day is a new one.
Wow that was a long post.

Wow, at least your fighting it good. I suggest seeing another doctor or therapist so you can get a second opinion and some methods to deal with your bipolar mood swings non-pharmacologically if you're having trouble with the lithium. I can understand how the lithium affects you, a lot of my patients say it kinda breaks them from their routine, with your case it's the loo, one of my patients felt he was always hungry when he took his lithium. Everyday is a new challenge especially with your condition. I think you should get a new therapist or doctor to see you and you should tell him this time how meds affect you and show that you really need a strong alternative.

Grats on the 2 on the way. Twins? How has been work since now that you've stopped medicating?
Help us help you...
Quote:I take Valium or diazapam normally.

I have V's around too for when I explode. Come in handy sometimes.

Quote:Loads of anger build up until a explosion of sorts normally and then followed up by depression.

I don't need a "build up". I can be totally chill one minute then go berserk the next. Or at least that's how I used to be.

Quote:Sure i cant stop it always but i am aware its me and not my wife or family.

And this is why it's good idea to be medicated. I can certainly deal with being a loon and bipolar but imho it's not fair to your family. They are the ones that truly suffer. My relationship with my wife is awesome now. And oddly in a twist she turned out to be more nuts than me. After I was relaxed with my meds I realized how depressed she was and at times very angry. So I finally told he go to my shrink. She was diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety and takes a stronger dose of Wellbutrin than me. Now she is great and we get along amazingly.