Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linux Mint 10 Freezes?
Being that i'm not as computer literate in Linux, as I am in Windows. I'm in need of some help.

I'm currently dual booting with Linux Mint 10 on the same Hard Drive as my Windows OS. I've saved up 100GB just for the heck of it since I have a 2TB Hard drive that it's partitioned on.

When running Mint 10, after a while everything freezes and I can't even open a command line or kill X with the commands Ctrl + Alt + F2 or Ctrl + Alt + Backspace. Everything just goes unresponsive, including my mouse. I've checked my CPU usage and it averages at around 1-5% on idle with no extra processes running.

I've used "Top" to check which processes take up the most percentage, and usually while having Chromium open with my music player, it's in and around 33-35%. My GPU core temp seems to average at around 50-55 degrees C and the slow rate is at 101 degrees C I believe.

My fan doesn't kick in anytime before it freezes and i've never seen it go up higher than 60 degrees C at all, so it doesn't restart or do any of that.

I'm not sure what could be causing this freeze, but even if I leave my Linux machine on in idle with no processes running, after about 10-15 minutes it freezes for no apparent reason.
I would still like some help on the issue if anyone has any personal advice that they could share with me from experience. I've tried a few different things, but haven't found the source of the problem yet. My GPU Core temp should be fine, I still have lots of CPU percentage left out of the 100, I only use 2% of my RAM on idle with nothing extra running, and when I have 3 or 4 multiple programs open and windows, it maxes out at around 10% at the most for usage.

My file system is above sufficient to hold another... 100GB worth of data.

However, it's been up for an uptime of 2 hours and 40 minutes so far without any freezing Smile so i'm not sure what's going on now..

UPDATE: Just when I got my hopes up, at 3hours and 41seconds of uptime according to my conky it froze. Mouse and keyboard completely wiped out like usual. Here's some of the other stats that I wrote down at the time of the freeze.

~CPU: 24%
~GPU Core Temp: 55 degrees Celcius (It was higher then that before without a freeze so I don't see that this is the problem, It was ranging between 54 and 60 throughout the full 3 hours of use before the freeze)
~RAM: 9%

I was ONLY running Chromium at the time. Which I had been running for almost the full 3 hours of system uptime without any problems.

Any help on this would be highly appreciated, i'm confused at this point.

UPDATE:

Here's something I took a look at from a command in my terminal:

Infinity ~ $sensors
w83627dhg-isa-0260
Adapter: ISA adapter
Vcore: +1.05 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +1.74 V)
in1: +1.84 V (min = +1.60 V, max = +1.74 V) ALARM
AVCC: +3.38 V (min = +2.98 V, max = +3.63 V)
VCC: +3.38 V (min = +2.98 V, max = +3.63 V)
in4: +1.62 V (min = +0.32 V, max = +1.25 V) ALARM
in5: +0.95 V (min = +0.15 V, max = +1.64 V)
in6: +0.82 V (min = +1.41 V, max = +0.05 V) ALARM
3VSB: +3.38 V (min = +2.98 V, max = +3.63 V)
Vbat: +3.38 V (min = +2.70 V, max = +3.30 V) ALARM
fan1: 0 RPM (min = 1054 RPM, div = 128) ALARM
fan2: 1654 RPM (min = 883 RPM, div = 8)
fan3: 958 RPM (min = 5113 RPM, div = 8) ALARM
fan4: 0 RPM (min = 1318 RPM, div = 128) ALARM
fan5: 0 RPM (min = 2636 RPM, div = 128) ALARM
temp1: +98.0°C (high = -21.0°C, hyst = +48.0°C) ALARM sensor = thermistor
temp2: +30.0°C (high = +80.0°C, hyst = +75.0°C) sensor = transistor
temp3: +98.0°C (high = +80.0°C, hyst = +75.0°C) ALARM sensor = thermistor
cpu0_vid: +0.375 V
No one at all can help with this issue? :S lol

I tried letting my system cool down overnight, and ran the Windows OS on the other partition on my hard drive instead of booting up Linux, and after a few hours the heatsinks that had the most heat when I was running on Linux felt like they were heating up to the exact same temp when I was running Windows for a few hours.

I can have my Windows OS on for an entire day without having to deal with any freezing issues like i've been experiencing in Linux, I don't understand what's going on. I've tried to narrow it down to a minimal number of problems that could be causing all the conflict when I run Linux, but no avail.

It doesn't make sense. I would appreciate some help though instead of replying to my own posts within my own thread Smile
I think it is a software issue rather than a hardware one from what you are saying. I've never used Mint or had a freezing issue, have you tried posting on ubuntuforums.org? Only thing I can think of is a re-install (new partition and see if the issue occurs on there, if not then you may have to).
Are you using compiz? If so, remove it.
Code:
sudo aptitude remove compiz compiz-core

I assume this is the Gnome version.
(04-03-2011, 01:45 PM)Solidus Wrote: Are you using compiz? If so, remove it.
Code:
sudo aptitude remove compiz compiz-core

I assume this is the Gnome version.

Yeah, I wasn't using the fluxbox. I tested it out but went back to the gnome. I'm not sure, I'm trying to reformat and install Mint on a partition again to see if that helps, and i'll see about compiz.
When you're done, install these,
http://code.google.com/p/ailurus/downloa...eb&can=1&q=

It's not the latest version, but it is the latest to feature a memory booster.

http://ubuntu-tweak.com/
Use this to remove startup entries and remove junk.
(04-03-2011, 03:02 PM)Solidus Wrote: When you're done, install these,
http://code.google.com/p/ailurus/downloa...eb&can=1&q=

It's not the latest version, but it is the latest to feature a memory booster.

http://ubuntu-tweak.com/
Use this to remove startup entries and remove junk.

Hmm, i'll try doing that. Thanks for all of the help Smile I'll post with an update on how my system runs on Linux after doing those two things.

Edit: Do you use PulseAudio btw? I've heard some things about people removing that.

Update: I lowered my Swap to Disk setting in Ailurus... I already find it to be an amazing program by the looks of it. We'll see if any of the settings work to stop my freezing.
No I don't. Pulseaudio interrupts with my preferred volume manager.
Does the Ailurus version you downloaded have the memory booster?
(04-04-2011, 04:52 PM)Solidus Wrote: No I don't. Pulseaudio interrupts with my preferred volume manager.
Does the Ailurus version you downloaded have the memory booster?

Is it called MemoryBooster in any of the settings?

In System Settings at the top in the menu I have a "Memory" option in the list on the left. But the only option within that area is to "Change the tendency of swapping memory to disk. I have it set to 0, "Swap little mem to disk".

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linux Mint Sound Problem ZeroBit 0 784 01-11-2016, 09:51 AM
Last Post: ZeroBit
  Burning Linux Mint to USB Drive. BreShiE 8 4,684 06-22-2012, 04:34 PM
Last Post: eiqhtworks
  Installing Linux Mint Debian- advice? iDiDiT 3 1,987 01-07-2012, 10:25 PM
Last Post: AceInfinity
  Help Bridging on Linux Mint 11 BreShiE 0 2,088 10-03-2011, 05:54 PM
Last Post: BreShiE
  Linux Mint Installation Problem BreShiE 21 6,672 08-18-2011, 07:13 PM
Last Post: danny0085