Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Basics of latin
Well im going to make a thread on pretty much everything covered in Latin 1. This is going to take me a long time. So I am going to just start off with the basics of the grammar and the first declension. If you need any help with anything please just ask. I am very skilled in Latin, well at least Latin 1.

Latin is known as the dead language. It is known as this becuase no country speaks this as a primary language, but Latin has influenced many languages such as Spanish.

So were did Latin Come from?

Well Latin came from Rome, witch was a city in Italy in from around 700bc to 200 ad. Its something close to that.

Some basics of Latin grammar. Well in Latin there is no word order. So i can say "bike rode I" or anything else. The reason for this is becuase in latin everything has a ending. Nouns have endings called Declensions. Verbs have endings called personal endings. Also every verb has 4 principle parts. But for now I am just going to do the first declension and some things with verbs.

The first declension in Latin is associated with feminine. ( there are some exceptions).

So here are the endings and across from it is its case. I will explain cases later.
Singular:
  • a Nominative
  • ae Genitive
  • ae Dative
  • am Accusative
  • a Ablative

Plural:
  • ae Nominative
  • arum Genitive
  • is Dative
  • as Accusative
  • is Ablative

So in the lists above we have to things. One is the endings, the other is the cases.

So now I am going to do a very brief over view of each.
Nominative:
This case is used to show who is performing the action.
Example: ( english) The girl carries water.
( Latin) Puella portat aquam
See the yellow, this signifies that the words are the same. portat is the verb, and water is the direct object ( accusative case)
remember these are brief.
Genative: This case is used mainly to show possession. Also know as ownership if you learned it that way. An example in English is " That is my bike "

Well thats as far as i got tonight. I will keep the is updated pretty much daily. Hope you guys like it.
I would leave out the fact that first declension is associated with feminine, because there are many cases where it is not, and that just confuses people.
Basically associated gender with the Latin declensions can be very confusing as you move on further into the topic.
(03-26-2011, 10:06 AM)r0yaL Wrote: I would leave out the fact that first declension is associated with feminine, because there are many cases where it is not, and that just confuses people.
Basically associated gender with the Latin declensions can be very confusing as you move on further into the topic.

Actually there are very few exception. With the 2+3 declension that is very different. But as for first is mainly used with feminine words.
I can't wait to see the thread grow overtime. Good luck.
Next I would suggest adding verbs, and how to conjugate them.
Yeah, this is pretty similar to Spanish. I had a latin teacher for my Spanish teacher, she was a real pain in the ass. Ha.
[Image: freshprincesig.png]
I hate foreign languages, english for the win.
OP is not updating the thread, it should be closed.
Care to talk? Add me on MSN or PM me.
  • r0yal@hackforums.net
(04-06-2011, 04:57 PM)r0yaL Wrote: OP is not updating the thread, it should be closed.

I am not becuase it is dead, if I got enough feed back I would update it. Either way I am super busy. I may update it one day.