Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Solved] How to calculate my max FPS?
I've been wondering what is the highest FPS my monitor can achieve so I've done some googling, but I'm still confused.

Basically what I've come to understand is your monitor's refresh rate is limited by your lowest spec.

My refresh rate is at 75 Hertz.
My response time is 20 ms, so if I do 1000/20=50 then it's saying my highest FPS should be 50 (I think).
I've also read that having Vsync can lower your FPS so I've turned that off, unless specified by an application.

I've been using a program called Fraps to monitor my FPS while playing games but I'm pretty sure that monitors what my GPU is outputting, not my monitor because I've seen it reach 300+.
I've also been using this performance tool from microsoft. On that I only top 60, which is showing me my FPS of my monitor, I'm assuming.

But why am I topped at 60, when my response time shows it should be limited to 50?
Even if I'm wrong with that then why is it capped at 60, when my refresh rate is 75 Hertz?

Answer:
You are correct about Fraps.

Response times doesn't have anything to do with max FPS, just the time it takes for the pixel to change colors. The greater the response time, the more ghosting there will be.

The refresh rate is basically what determines the FPS; this is a basic explanation as I am pretty sure it's a bit more technically complicated than that. Every 1Hz is data being transmitted from the video to the monitor per second. Technically speaking 75Hz means 75 times data is being sent to the screen or 75FPS. However, while there are some monitors that allow you to select 75Hz, some of them have internal electronics which converts any non-60Hz signal into a 60Hz signal which effectively eliminates the benefits of 75Hz.

Also be aware that a few games limits the FPS. For example, I've read somewhere that the Sims 2 limited FPS to 30, then again is more than 30FPS necessary for a game like that?
I would actually love to be able to answer that. However It's nearly 3AM and sir, you have actually mindfucked me right now.

Actually, I think that the human eye can only see 50 FPS (Possibly 60, I've forgotten the exact facts on that). So perhaps some of the monitoring programs you're using cap out at 60. I know that using fraps I've seen it hit over 250 FPS though. Still though, that's a contradiction to your post, like I said, you've mindfucked me right now.
(03-21-2011, 07:46 PM)Splodge0007 Wrote: I would actually love to be able to answer that. However It's nearly 3AM and sir, you have actually mindfucked me right now.

Actually, I think that the human eye can only see 50 FPS (Possibly 60, I've forgotten the exact facts on that). So perhaps some of the monitoring programs you're using cap out at 60. I know that using fraps I've seen it hit over 250 FPS though. Still though, that's a contradiction to your post, like I said, you've mindfucked me right now.

Kinda proud that I mindfucked you but kinda disappointed because I kinda wanted an answer, hahahahaha. I also read that the human eye maxes out at around 60 but someone else said it was higher and we don't realize it or something. I don't know, I'll probably do a lot more research and end up creating a guide, lol.
Well maybe tomorrow I'll re-read it with a fresh mind and be able to input a more constructive answer, or at least try too lol.
(03-21-2011, 07:56 PM)Splodge0007 Wrote: Well maybe tomorrow I'll re-read it with a fresh mind and be able to input a more constructive answer, or at least try too lol.

Sounds good
I asked this on Tom's Hardware and got an answer.

Answer:
You are correct about Fraps.

Response times doesn't have anything to do with max FPS, just the time it takes for the pixel to change colors. The greater the response time, the more ghosting there will be.

The refresh rate is basically what determines the FPS; this is a basic explanation as I am pretty sure it's a bit more technically complicated than that. Every 1Hz is data being transmitted from the video to the monitor per second. Technically speaking 75Hz means 75 times data is being sent to the screen or 75FPS. However, while there are some monitors that allow you to select 75Hz, some of them have internal electronics which converts any non-60Hz signal into a 60Hz signal which effectively eliminates the benefits of 75Hz.

Also be aware that a few games limits the FPS. For example, I've read somewhere that the Sims 2 limited FPS to 30, then again is more than 30FPS necessary for a game like that?
I have terrible FPS that's why my steam account is completely useless lol
(05-17-2011, 05:02 PM)Boomer Wrote: I have terrible FPS that's why my steam account is completely useless lol

Wanna share that account with me Big Grin <333
I am deeply confused...
[Image: blackghost1.png]
I would actually love to be able to answer that. However It's nearly 3AM and sir, you have actually mindfucked me right now.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  System Notification Color Text Changed???!!! (Solved :) :P ) Resistance 9 2,380 03-05-2011, 06:06 PM
Last Post: Impuhlsive
  [Solved] Download whole Facebook album Solidify 2 952 12-20-2010, 09:05 PM
Last Post: Solidify
  (SOLVED) (KILL THREAD) Resistance 17 5,160 10-09-2010, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Resistance
  Raise FPS in Starcraft 2? nevets04 15 7,616 07-04-2010, 08:45 AM
Last Post: Secret
  Something happening with fps ingame Eternity :) 10 2,174 06-08-2010, 08:48 AM
Last Post: Tobz