Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Intel vs AMD
Intel vs AMD by Deltron

Today I will be answering one of the most controversial speculations in the computing field. One that has lasted many several years, and one that will remain for generations. Intel or AMD? Now, how can you really say that one is better than the other? You can state that Intel has a greater market share than AMD or you can say that AMD has a better value at certain price points. The reality is that the technology of both microprocessor companies are constantly changing. You can never say that company is terrible and the other excels, or vice versa.

Leapfrogging
Whether it is in the field of computer parts, cars, skateboards, or even food, companies are always trying to find an edge where they can out compete their competitors. A great example of this is the ongoing rivalry between Intel and AMD.

For example, an AMD Phenom II X6 1090T has six processing cores. Yes, that's right, six. The price of this is around one-third the cost of an Intel's six-core processor. Crazy right?

On the other hand, let's take a look at i7 930. Being a quad-core processor, this supports triple channel DDR3 memory, which is more than any other manufacturer in the market. Having these features, this is one of the highest performing quad-core processors available.

AMD and Intel are both unique in their very own ways. In this case, AMD offers a six-core processor that is very affordable. But Intel has features that no other manufacturer on the market has. Depending on your needs, your choice should be a little bit clearer now.

Factors
Not as it used to be, there are many features and factors when comparing Intel and AMD processors.

How efficient is the overall architecture of the processor? AMD's six core processor is unlocked, which translates to it being much easier to overclock than Intel's quad-core. Another thing you have to factor in is the ecosystem. What if you want to build a gaming rig and you can't decide whether you want to run SLI with dual-graphic cards from nVidia, or Crossfire with two graphic cards from ATI? Intel offers a variety of motherboards, one such as the Sabertooth X68, you are able to run either one. This way you can upgrade to whatever dual-GPU platform you want to run in the future. Where as with AMD, most of the motherboards only support Crossfire. You can decide to run a ATI graphics-based high end GPU heavy horsepower setup, where AMD will be your best bet.

AMD Processors
AMD consists of their three main processor ranges: high end, middle end, and low end. Each category contains three processors. The high end category has the AMD Phenom II X6, X4, and X2. Their X6 (the six representing the six cores) is meant for very high and optimized performance. The X4 is equipped with four cores, hence the number 4, and is designed to run exceptional multimedia alongside advanced applications. The X2 with, yes you guessed it, two cores has an overall good quality at a very affordable price. This is your economical way out.

The middle class of the AMD processors consists of the AMD Phenom II x3, AMD Turion II, and Turion Ultra. The X3, a triple-core, is a great and affordable alternative with 64 bit capability. This processor is specifically created to perform efficiently, and an economical price. Both Turion processors work well, and needless to say, are very affordable.

The lowest class of AMD's lineup processors include the Sempron, Athlon Neo, and Neo X2. Sempron is one of the most popular options for mobility, at a very low price. Some of its main capabilities include Internet browsing, running basic applications, and email. Both the Neo and Neo X2 have a very small amount of processing power, and is mostly found in laptops. Because of its integrated graphics card, both the Neo and Neo X2 offer decent multimedia capabilities.

Intel Processors
Very similar to AMD, Intel has three classes of processors: high end, middle end, and basic end. The high end of the Intel line consists of the i series, i3, i5, and the i7. The i7 has Hyper Threading, Turbo Boost technologies, and is avaliable in 2, 4, or 6 core processors. The i5 also has Hyper Threading and Turbo Boost, but has less cache memory than the i7 processors. The i3 has most of the features of the i5 and i7 but does not include Turbo Boost technology; a great affordable processor.

Turbo Boost Technology - Intel has optimized Intel® Turbo Boost Technology to provide even more performance when needed on the latest-generation Intel® microarchitecture code name Sandy Bridge. Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 automatically allows processor cores to run faster than the base operating frequency if it's operating below power, current, and temperature specification limits.

Learn more here:
http://www.intel.com/technology/turboboost/index.htm

Hyper-Threading Technlogy
- Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology (Intel® HT Technology)¹ uses processor resources more efficiently, enabling multiple threads to run on each core. Intel® HT Technology increases processor throughput, improving overall performance on threaded software. Intel HT Technology is available on Previous Generation Intel® Core™ processors, 2nd generation Intel® Core™ processor family, and Intel® Xeon® processor family.

Learn more here:
http://www.intel.com/technology/platform.../index.htm

AMD vs. Intel Processors

Here's a comparison of some AMD and Intel processors from here.

Intel is a big name today and it is clearly visible that Intel has dominated the market in the war between AMD vs Intel processors. And that is because of its high efficient products and the high sale figures. However, it's not like AMD doesn't do good business. It definitely does and has to offer high performance with economical prices. If you are left wondering as to which is better - AMD or Intel, let's do a comparison of Intel and AMD processors.

High End Processors

Intel Core i7 and AMD Phenom II X6
When it comes to the high end processors, Intel has its Intel core i7 and the AMD is armored with the Phenom II X6. Intel's Core i series of processors are the newest and is of the latest technology. The Intel i7 offers 2, 4 or 6 core and is of a 64-bit processor. It comes with Hyper Threading, it is a technology which boosts the performance of your system. It also comes with Turbo Boost Technology which increases the overall performance and takes into consideration number of active cores, power consumption, processor temperature etc. On the other hand AMDs Phenom II X6 is its first six-core processor, for optimized and highest level of performance.

Intel Core i5 and AMD Phenom II X4
Intel's Core i5 built on the same line of that of Core i7, is one level down of the Core i7. It is also a 64-bit processor and of 2 or 4 core capacity. The i5 also comes with Hyper Threading and Turbo Boost Technology, but then has lesser cache memory. AMD's Phenom II X4 is amongst the latest AMD processors. It consists of quad-core Phenom II X6 chips which are built to exceptional quality multimedia use and advanced applications.

Intel Core i3 and AMD Phenom II X3 & X2
Intel's Core i3 processor is relatively an economical processor in its class. It is one level down of the Core i5 processor. As compared to other Core 2 processors, it of course has an upper hand. It comes with Hyper Threading, but then does not include the Turbo Boost technology. Its counterpart from AMD, the Phenom II X3 & X2 is said to be of a 3 or 2 core capacity. It is a great value for money with great overall performance and is very economical.

Mid-Range Processors

Intel Core 2 Duo and AMD Phenom II X3 & Phenom II X4
Intel's Core 2 Duo has the reputation of being amongst the most sold processors because of it efficiency and value for money price tag. Its efficiency lies in its two processing cores which enhances the video, gaming and image output. AMD's Phenom I X3 & X4 forayed into consumer class processors with these. They are triple and quad core processors along with 64-bit computing capabilities.

Intel Pentium Dual Core and AMD Turion II / Ultra
Intel's Dual Core is a predecessor of the Core 2 Duo chipset. It is based on the Core micro-architecture. It offers decent multimedia output. AMD's Turion II and Turion II Ultra did good business for AMD, reason being their excellent multimedia output as compared to Dual Core as they mostly come with AMD or ATI graphics and are economically priced.

Basic Processors

Intel Centrino/Centrino Duo and AMD Sempron
Intel and AMD processor comparison doesn't end only until here, but the differences can also be made in smaller processors class. Centrino processors from Intel were the best for mobile-computing. Best for small laptops within its class. Equivalent to the Centrino from Intel, the Sempron processor is found in few low budget laptops and desktop. These processors are for some basic computing uses like internet browsing, basic office work, email etc.

Intel Atom and AMD Athlon Neo / Neo X2
Most found in netbooks and nettops. Intel's Atom processor was designed to keep in mind the power consumption and the price. As compared to other processors from Intel, it has got lesser processing power. It has been made for the most basic computer use. Athlon Neo and Neo X2 are equivalent to the Atom processor which are found in netbooks and nettops. Since they integrate themselves with ATI graphics, they also give decent multimedia output.

So which do I choose?

I've probably made this guide a lot more intricate and complicated than it really should be, so I'll try to sum this up in a nutshell. The processor you choose should come down to what you need in a PC. Do you want to work around a budget, or maybe run some average applications? At certain price points, AMD is your best bet without a doubt. Do you want to build a wicked PC with the choice of SLI or Crossfire in the future? Intel is your processor.

Hopefully this tutorial/guide has helped you out on your choice between the two major processor companies. Remember, base your decision on your needs, and not the common stereotypes that are always thrown out there. Again, if you have any further queries, please post them below and I will answer them to my best ability. Enjoy everyone. Smile
Nice and detailed explanation of the two manufacturers Smile
I have an AMD Phenom X4 9850 Quad Core Processor on one of my machines, but i've been using Intel for a few of my older XP machines. Both are good, but like all computer parts, it depends on what you want to use the computer for in the end. That's what it comes down to really. Good detailed explanation by the way Smile

Quote:Intel vs AMD by Deltron

It wasn't really written by you though. Most of it was copied out from that one website you got the information from. But if you're going to compare the two, I would suggest gathering up information from more sources than just this one, and possibly a few reviews as well. This wouldn't really be the best research done for the information you've gathered for that one reason.
I'm planning on adding much more. Thanks for the feedback.
You should add credits to the sources as well at the bottom of your post just to make things clear. They are only in some of the links for now
(03-17-2011, 07:06 PM)Infinity Wrote: You should add credits to the sources as well at the bottom of your post just to make things clear. They are only in some of the links for now

Will do. Oui
I didn't know about Intel's Sabertooth X68, that's pretty epic. Great guide so far.
By the way, I searched "Sabertooth X68" on Google and this guide was the 5th entry, lol.
That's pretty informative. I've always preferred Intel over AMD, but now that I'm getting a backup laptop, I guess AMD will do great for it.
Quote:My religion tells me that God made the universe. My science tells me how.

[Image: 034_p16.jpg]
Totally agree. I'm running an i7 860 build right now. If you want the best you have to pay for it. I'm going to be upgrading to a sandybridge build soon though.
I have an AMD Athlon II, would that be middle end or low end? There's a Athlon Neo under low end but mines not a neo. All in all it's not a bad processor speed wise. It's 2.1 GHz btw.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AMD vs Intel: Which Processor Is Best In 2022? tk-hassan 0 593 01-25-2022, 11:47 PM
Last Post: tk-hassan
  AMD Phenom II X6 1090t vs Intel i7 FiLTHY 11 3,512 09-07-2011, 11:21 AM
Last Post: FileX
  AMD Bulldozer Codad Law 0 732 06-18-2011, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Codad Law
  Quick AMD Question Xzotic 6 930 03-20-2011, 08:50 AM
Last Post: Mous
  Intel VS AMD º¤øĐőŘđĘø¤º 37 6,167 09-01-2010, 08:29 AM
Last Post: Lazydude2000