Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Infections?
Moral of the story?

Combofix can do good and bad things.

End of argument.
Thanks for the support. I just finished doing this procedure on HF.
(10-06-2009, 04:09 AM)Carb0n F1ber Wrote: Sorry, but you are wrong... ComboFix does not give you an option to change/choose anything.. Hence, even an inexperienced PC user cannot do any possible damage to his computer...

It runs the tests, repairs the needed file, and then gives you a detailed log... That's it.. Probably the warning is "NOT" to use the tool unless asked to by a helper. Meaning, this tool might/may do more damage than good to a computer which is not infected, or one which would not require a cleaning...

In my case, all system32 and windows files were patched and corrupted by injecting them with the Virut virus... So Dr. Web "cured" the files, and ComboFix "fixed" them...

What you stated goes true for HijackThis, which gives you an option to "Fix".. An inexperienced user can do damage to his computer if he chooses to "Fix" the wrong entry listed by HijackThis...

That's right, what I should have said, is that the warning is about maybe inexperienced users, not using this application, on their own, unless they are advised to do so, by an experienced helper.
(10-06-2009, 12:22 PM)Soldier of Fortune Wrote: He was not wrong, YOU are. ComboFix, although better and better thus safer to use among computer illiterate users, still isn't quite safe and it's still not advised to be kept on or used on clean machines. Google, if you don't trust me...multiple things can happen. Why do you think that HijackThis teachers and helpers strongly forbid the use of such programs that scan, copy and fix sensible computer files? Is it because they're stupid? Because they want to act like they're smart and rest of us guys stupid? Or because they're just aware of possible problems which could, and DID, happen?

It's people like you who fudge up their machines and then blame the ASAP team for even making or suggesting such programs.

Sometimes, my mate, it's better to just listen to what smarter suggest, than to improvise and cry later. Better safe than sorry! And that's what you should keep in your head, if not the rest.

This is why I suggested in my reply to this thread, that I believed that the original thread, should have naybe included a warning about this application, even if only a suggestion to refer to what they have to say about this tool here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix...e-combofix

I heard about this application quite a while ago and also heard quite a few other people saying that it could be quite dangrous to your PC, if not used properly.

It was never my intention to be the catalyst of an argument though and I regret that a little.
(10-06-2009, 03:27 PM)HaruhiSuzumiya Wrote: Moral of the story?

Combofix can do good and bad things.

End of argument.

I second that!
[Image: SF1d.gif]

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance - Confucius
------------------------------------------------------------------
Dope as post! I agree with everything you have written.
Good solid info in a structured way. Hope to see some more of your posts, keep it up!
good post..tanks..
[Image: awilfmasig.png]

Welcome back, awil. You last visited: 07-16-2011, 10:16 AM
Current time: 09-30-2012, 05:52 PM