Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Frostwire
Has anyone tried Frostwire? I have it downloaded and running on my Mandriva box right now. Just wondering is it worth setting it up on someone's machine..G4143
Slackware 13/ArchLinux - C/Assem/Python
(10-17-2009, 09:29 AM)g4143 Wrote: Has anyone tried Frostwire? I have it downloaded and running on my Mandriva box right now. Just wondering is it worth setting it up on someone's machine..G4143

Yes, I've been using it for a few years. It's essentially limewire pro, except it's free.

You just have to be cautious of viruses ect.
[Image: MreGSXsigcopy.png]

(10-17-2009, 09:33 AM)MreGSX Wrote: Yes, I've been using it for a few years. It's essentially limewire pro, except it's free.

Thanks for the reply...I'm checking out the products for my sister whose in the process of switching from XP to Linux. I have it running but - I use products like this so infrequently that I'm a complete newbie...G4143
(10-17-2009, 09:33 AM)MreGSX Wrote: Yes, I've been using it for a few years. It's essentially limewire pro, except it's free.

I agree with MreGSX.
I have used it for a long time too. It works just fine.
Support the best of ideas ----->

- http://www.vinceking69.blogspot.com -
I recomend buying it. I used to use it for simple transfer through friends. My machine started to have dormat virus sending via computers. (On windows) and i don't download illegal files.

So Imho, don't bother. Torrents are safer.
(10-17-2009, 10:05 AM)p0w3r0fchr1st Wrote: I agree with MreGSX.
I have used it for a long time too. It works just fine.

Yeah I'm starting to figure out where everything is and for open source its not bad...not bad at all.
This is where Java is really nice, just grab the tar ball and unpack and it works - well if you have the proper Java version...which I do...G4143
Well I've been playing with frostwire and I found one thing that's really annoying...Its doesn't shut down when you close the app...Well I tried googling around and all it is, is a setting, just tools>options>systemTray and select "shut down immediately"...Besides that one thing I really like this app..
or you could just right click on the system tray icon and choose exit Tongue
Support the best of ideas ----->

- http://www.vinceking69.blogspot.com -
I would just download U-torrent or Vuze, and search for torrents. You can use "Frostwire" as a bit-torrent client, but I've never tried it.
If you're not sure how to optimize it for fast downloads have a look on youtube, there is a heap of tutorials showing how to do so for all different bit-torrent clients, you could also read this:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/...-speed.htm

I have used it in the past, it's similar to limewire but better.