Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Debate team
(03-11-2011, 11:49 PM)Nemmyy Wrote: Having a debate team or separate section or w/e would probably be more organized than just a thread.

I like this idea a lot. If a separate forum was made for debates I think it would be very active.

Sorry my bad, I meant to say debate forum, as in category.
A debate category wouldn't be such a bad idea by any means.
Like marketing? join www.marketforums.org My user: Weeds
(03-12-2011, 01:31 PM)Infinity Wrote: You can refrain from arguments, and still maintain a good discussion for others to see a bigger picture from the topic on the debate. Even though it's a debate, it might open people's minds to thinking differently about certain aspects of the debate topic at hand.

Arguments, for me would be making illogical statements towards another person based on emotional distress. Arguments only ever begin when someone gets frustrated really.

Debates, are only discussions really. Because even though someone may win a debate, most of the time, based on the topic, there is still a discussion to be made. It's based on how effectively you can support your own theories and statements, to make them seem like fact. Scientists have to do it all the time when they come up with new ideas because society is unwilling to change. Take Gallileo and the debate between believing in the geocentric model of the galaxy and the heliocentric model.

I personally think you're wrong about the term "argument". You're using in in the sense of which there is a dilemma or some kind of ill-tension between two parties when that isn't always the case. You can argue a point in a civil and non-malicious way. Although I see where you're coming from, the word can also be used simply as a synonym of the word "debate".

To debate your opinions = To argue your opinions.

Anyway, my point in my first post was that I made the assumption that debates aren't always the best ideas on message boards. There are often very ignorant one-sided arguments that occur which never lead to anything good. Take the debate section @ HF for example.

Anyway, I guess I am still in favor of a debate section if it were to be moderated very closely. I LOVE debating and discussing in an appropriate manner, and my only hope would be that it would be a civil section if the debate forum is to be created.
One day, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.
I was about to post a similar topic but found this. I'm in favor of a debate section. I'd even volunteer moderating it if need be.
(03-21-2011, 07:01 PM)Solidify Wrote: I was about to post a similar topic but found this. I'm in favor of a debate section. I'd even volunteer moderating it if need be.

Same here
(03-21-2011, 07:01 PM)Solidify Wrote: I was about to post a similar topic but found this. I'm in favor of a debate section. I'd even volunteer moderating it if need be.

Can you re-post this on my new thread please, along with you Nemmy.
(03-21-2011, 07:34 PM)RDCA Wrote: Can you re-post this on my new thread please, along with you Nemmy.

What's wrong with this one?
(03-21-2011, 07:40 PM)Solidify Wrote: What's wrong with this one?
This one is almost 2-3 weeks old, also if omni views a thread it would be my new one, so we would have a better chance of getting a section just for debating.
(03-21-2011, 07:55 PM)RDCA Wrote: This one is almost 2-3 weeks old, also if omni views a thread it would be my new one, so we would have a better chance of getting a section just for debating.

He'll most likely get annoyed if we create a new thread about the same thing, especially when there's still an active one. If we keep this active long enough maybe he'll make some changes.
A debate section had been previously requested in 2009 by iHeartWindows, 2010 by Pineapple and as a "logic" section by Lord Scorch. There was a concern that debates could cause arguments, result in bad feelings spilling into the community, and distract from the main purpose of being a support community.

Suggesting debate "behaviour" seems to me a better idea, although I don't think there should be an official group since some opinions would seem to be "endorsed" as official, compared to others. I agree that there should be guidelines to ensure respectful debating, and that certain inflammatory topics (although potentially entertaining) should be avoided until a culture of debating has been established.

There is no need for a section until a certain number of weeks/threads has been accumulated. Members' posts in those threads will be the best evidence of whether this community is ready to regularly debate. At the end of each week, a summary and outcome of the debate can be posted to close the thread.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HJT Team and SF Kewlz 10 2,171 05-31-2012, 10:15 PM
Last Post: ven0m
  [Suggestion] Debate Section Hуѕтєяιa X™ 8 2,231 06-05-2011, 06:06 AM
Last Post: Hуѕтєяιa X™
  A Debate Section. Pineapple 26 5,235 11-24-2010, 03:33 PM
Last Post: Lord_Scorch
  Welcome Jay, to the Staff team. Sam 53 17,044 10-28-2010, 02:23 AM
Last Post: Magiic™
  HJT Team Suggestion Infinity∞ 54 9,107 04-19-2010, 04:19 AM
Last Post: Quintus