Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Debate team
(03-11-2011, 10:13 PM)Infinity Wrote: Fate vs. Free Will, we can make it an intellectual and insightful topic Smile
0_o holy crap dude..... thats kinda scary. I was talking about this in class today. I have to write an essay on it too. Its due Tuesday. its about romeo and juilet. How the fudge did this happen. i just find it so weird. Any chance your in the ninth grade?
lol nope... I'm 28. But I was watching the Matrix last weekend and the idea occurred to me. I just found it intriguing Smile Maybe Free will is just a false image or an illusion behind our destined fate?

I also came up with the idea that, no matter which road you take in life, (your chance at a minor act of free will,) you'll always end up at the same final destination, fate.

Kind of like GPS Smile you can take multiple routes, but you're still heading for the same destination.

That's just my intro to the topic though. Choose it for the debate or not, I just found it interesting to think about.
(03-11-2011, 10:38 PM)Infinity Wrote: lol nope... I'm 28. But I was watching the Matrix last weekend and the idea occurred to me. I just found it intriguing Smile Maybe Free will is just a false image or an illusion behind our destined fate?

I also came up with the idea that, no matter which road you take in life, (your chance at a minor act of free will,) you'll always end up at the same final destination, fate.

Kind of like GPS Smile you can take multiple routes, but you're still heading for the same destination.

That's just my intro to the topic though. Choose it for the debate or not, I just found it interesting to think about.
Yes i think i am going to take your idea. I will write my essay for my side of the debate. This will help me in many ways. 1# i get to debate 2# i get a chance to write my essay 3# have people judge and help me with it. So yea this seems like a good idea. i will post the topic tomorrow and shoot omni a pm, to see what he thinks.
Why ask for a debate team, when we can just ask for a debate thread?
(03-11-2011, 11:13 PM)Epicly Wrote: Why ask for a debate team, when we can just ask for a debate thread?

That's what he's doing, read a few of the previous posts. He's starting a debate thread on Fate vs. Free will
(03-11-2011, 11:13 PM)Epicly Wrote: Why ask for a debate team, when we can just ask for a debate thread?

Having a debate team or separate section or w/e would probably be more organized than just a thread.

I like this idea a lot. If a separate forum was made for debates I think it would be very active.
We can do...

Abortion
Thoughts on the proposed mosque at the World Trader Center site
Legalization
Current involvment in Libya
Education reform
Euthanasia
Legalization (Cannibis)

Just throwing stuff off my head. There's plenty of sites and such where you can find really good topics.
To All who are interested beta week #1 is open:
http://www.supportforums.net/showthread.php?tid=16831
Come on guys all ready got some good responses.
I love debates, but i'm unsure if arguing over the internet is a good idea..
One day, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.
(03-12-2011, 11:33 AM)Ambition Wrote: I love debates, but i'm unsure if arguing over the internet is a good idea..

You can refrain from arguments, and still maintain a good discussion for others to see a bigger picture from the topic on the debate. Even though it's a debate, it might open people's minds to thinking differently about certain aspects of the debate topic at hand.

Arguments, for me would be making illogical statements towards another person based on emotional distress. Arguments only ever begin when someone gets frustrated really.

Debates, are only discussions really. Because even though someone may win a debate, most of the time, based on the topic, there is still a discussion to be made. It's based on how effectively you can support your own theories and statements, to make them seem like fact. Scientists have to do it all the time when they come up with new ideas because society is unwilling to change. Take Gallileo and the debate between believing in the geocentric model of the galaxy and the heliocentric model.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HJT Team and SF Kewlz 10 2,164 05-31-2012, 10:15 PM
Last Post: ven0m
  [Suggestion] Debate Section Hуѕтєяιa X™ 8 2,229 06-05-2011, 06:06 AM
Last Post: Hуѕтєяιa X™
  A Debate Section. Pineapple 26 5,232 11-24-2010, 03:33 PM
Last Post: Lord_Scorch
  Welcome Jay, to the Staff team. Sam 53 17,025 10-28-2010, 02:23 AM
Last Post: Magiic™
  HJT Team Suggestion Infinity∞ 54 9,082 04-19-2010, 04:19 AM
Last Post: Quintus