Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Netbook HDD physically damaged.[HDD Beeping]
I have an Acer Aspire One, which accidentally fell from my desk, resulting to my HDD beeping. It beeps constantly and stops after 1-2 minutes.
The HDD I'm using is a Seagate Momentus 5400.6 320 GB.
Here's a picture of it : Also it is not recognized by the BIOS
I tried the freezer trick but it didn't work.(It was still beeping.)
What should I do?

Thanks Smile
EDIT : Just saw that this is the wrong section. Sorry. Sad If a moderator can move it to the right one(Hardware) please do it and sorry again.
Bump I guess?
Your hard drive is frozen.

As unorthodox as it may sound, give it a light smack and then try hooking it back up.

If what Deltron says doesn't work you may be out of luck. Bad thing about laptops is you can't really replace the parts, unless you are willing to pay more than the computer is worth...
Those who want to live, let them fight, and those who do not want to fight in this world of eternal struggle do not deserve to live.
-Adolf Hitler

A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on.
-JFK

Yeah, beeping isn't really a good thing when it comes to computer hardware. It's the same thing with RAM issues, if you hear any beeping noises on boot, you might have to check your RAM and replace them with new RAM in the slots. Next time, try to be more careful. Hard drives do not like being dropped or bumped/tipped over/etc. It can also lead to corrupt sectors on your HDD as well.
Thank you everyone guys! Your answers were really helpful. Smile
(03-09-2011, 02:08 AM)aggouras Wrote: Thank you everyone guys! Your answers were really helpful. Smile

When you say the freezer trick, do you mean you put it in a freezer? I'm sorry I've never heard of this method. If that is the case then you would have just damaged your computer more. Just saying.
Those who want to live, let them fight, and those who do not want to fight in this world of eternal struggle do not deserve to live.
-Adolf Hitler

-JFK

(03-09-2011, 08:27 PM)Codad Law Wrote: When you say the freezer trick, do you mean you put it in a freezer? I'm sorry I've never heard of this method. If that is the case then you would have just damaged your computer more. Just saying.
No I wrapped well the HD on a small towel, then in a plastic bag which has a line that closes and I put it into the freezer for less that an hour.
But nevermind, I might get a a new PC(this time a desktop).
Yeah never put anything in the freezer... That would make it 100X worse... idk who told you that o.o
-Adolf Hitler

-JFK

(03-10-2011, 03:04 PM)Codad Law Wrote: Yeah never put anything in the freezer... That would make it 100X worse... idk who told you that o.o

It has worked for some, I don't know the reasoning behind it, but it's about half myth, half reality. I used to have to put my PS1 in the freezer from it overheating during gameplay lol, and it would work and cool down a lot faster than just leaving it off. That's different than a hard drive of course, but just another story of mine related to freezers. I wouldn't put it directly on the ice or whatever you have in your freezer though, I used to just put it up on the ice rack/shelf so that it wouldn't have to sit on anything that could get it wet.

I've never tried freezing a hard drive though...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why does my netbook lag after 5 minutes of gameplay? d1ey0u 5 1,804 05-23-2019, 02:55 AM
Last Post: JabirSheikh
  Can't boot MSI Wind U100 Netbook radushewici 2 1,744 05-23-2019, 02:53 AM
Last Post: JabirSheikh
  The Great Laptop vs Netbook Debate Omniscient 124 44,659 07-06-2012, 05:10 PM
Last Post: Business.Gov
  Speeding up Netbook Echelonex 11 3,533 07-31-2011, 02:34 PM
Last Post: Viruz
  Replacing internal HDD i/o error Annuit Coeptis 7 2,718 06-04-2011, 09:30 AM
Last Post: Annuit Coeptis