Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going Windows To Ubuntu!
Hey guys, i just wanted some tips for making the transition from windows
to ubuntu, also any program's that may help me make that transition as
smooth as possible.

I installed VMware and installed the latest version of ubuntu and have been playing around on it for a bit, seems like a really good operating system, very powerful, durable and easy to use.

I currently use windows xp and want to move over to ubuntu,

Thank you for any/all suggestions!
I love ubuntu and windows id just start off easy
Now tell me, what's your reasoning behind switching? What are you getting from Ubuntu that makes up for the lack of support with so many programs; I'm hoping you're not just one of those people who installs it because they think it's 'cool'.
Quaero gloria stellarum.
I recommend installing Ubuntu beside Windows just in you want to move back to Windows XP every now and then.

There are two main ways to install Ubuntu on a Windows box:
1. You can use the Windows installer (Wubi) which install Ubuntu on a partition and puts in a Ubuntu option the Windows OS selection menu.
2. You can download the Ubuntu iso image, mount it on a USB or blank CD and install it from there. You will need to boot from CD/USB which means you'll need to mess with the BIOS. This replaces the Windows OS selection menu with grub and adds a Window option to it.

I personally like option two because I get a sexy purple OS selection menu but you'll need to tweak it a bit unless you want it to launch Ubuntu by default.

(04-05-2012, 06:39 PM)Alreiger Wrote: Now tell me, what's your reasoning behind switching? What are you getting from Ubuntu that makes up for the lack of support with so many programs; I'm hoping you're not just one of those people who installs it because they think it's 'cool'.

You're aware there are programs which is share-ware on Windows but freeware on Ubuntu right? An example is XChat an IRC client.
No i'm not switching because i think its 'cool', its because my system is aging and
i do alot of stuff on the computer, mainly surf the internet, update blogs etc..
and wanted something that would give me a better performance for free.

Also, Infinityco, thank you for the generous feedback Smile i'll mount it on a spare USB
and we'll go from there.
(04-05-2012, 06:40 PM)Infinity∞ Wrote: I You're aware there are programs which is share-ware on Windows but freeware on Ubuntu right? An example is XChat an IRC client.
There's also a large pile of programs and games that don't provide support for Ubuntu and aren't compatible with Wine.

@OP: That I can understand, I have it installed along side Windows 7 for when this computer is almost out of here, it's having trouble keeping up with W7. ;_;
Quaero gloria stellarum.
Thanks,

I've worked with Windows (Windows XP,Vista & 7) and also worked with windows
server 2003 & server 2008, wanted to learn ubuntu and linux because i wanted
to get into server administration.
(04-06-2012, 09:04 PM)4Y4T3M Wrote: Thanks,

I've worked with Windows (Windows XP,Vista & 7) and also worked with windows
server 2003 & server 2008, wanted to learn ubuntu and linux because i wanted
to get into server administration.

I highly recommend any type of *nix OS on a server because most exploits are for Windows servers.

I use to play on a counter-strike 1.6 server and it would be constantly attack with Windows exploits. Too bad the server owner never listened to me.
Good system administrators can easily patch-up and vulnerabilities and have
good security in-place to protect themselves from hackers.
Linux to be learn, windows to be use without learn.
AmenSan
flickr®