Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Moderate Difficulty] Math Challenge for the Week - Surprise Included!
Lets educate some people. If anyone can solve this with working I will give them a surprise.

I know the answer and process so all working must be shown to ensure you didn't just cheat.

Graph the following showing all important features (y intercept, x intercept [if any], asymptotes, stationary points and any points of inflexion).
Graph equation: http://i56.tinypic.com/wu5e6f.jpg

Forum version: y = 1/x^2-3

I will post the answer on Saturday. Good luck.
Are you looking for a response like this:
or something else? (it's a relatively low-res image, but the graph I drew might be considered a 'spoiler')

Also, I wasn't sure to what degree you would categorize cheating. I assume you mean no calculators, etc; showing mostly manual derivation?
[Image: il0Uxa.png]
Deltron, I think you misinterpreted his equation... in LaTeX it would be \frac{1}{x^2-3} where subtracting a three is part of the denominator.
Looks good ZedNull, did you include stationary points and any points of inflexion? Graph is pretty much right though. (from what I can make out.) What did you say the vertical asymptotes were?
I'd like to know what the surprise is.
Ok we are done, the surprise is ZedNull can choose my user title for a few months Smile

ZedNull PM me what you want. I will try and do an easier question next time Tongue

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Helping with any math class below Pre-Calc King_Cooper 1 1,112 05-29-2012, 10:20 PM
Last Post: Deity
  Math help please msn 1 1,110 03-24-2012, 11:17 AM
Last Post: Haxalot
  Helping with Math Homework wale 0 813 08-20-2011, 04:55 PM
Last Post: wale
  Philosophical Math elvinguitar 7 2,741 04-28-2011, 06:01 PM
Last Post: elvinguitar
  Math homework on the internet rooneyful 4 1,936 04-03-2011, 04:08 AM
Last Post: rooneyful