Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Duplicate File Finder
(01-04-2012, 04:01 PM)Yellows Wrote:
Well, does it only compare files that are the same size or similar sizes?
If similar, you could change it to the same to make it even quicker, correct?

I explained that, it compares files of similar sizes to narrow it's search, which speeds things up, then takes those similarly sized files and compares each to check for comparable MD5 hashes, to return them in the printed results.

It is quicker for that reason.
(01-04-2012, 04:10 PM)AceInfinity Wrote: I explained that, it compares files of similar sizes to narrow it's search, which speeds things up, then takes those similarly sized files and compares each to check for comparable MD5 hashes, to return them in the printed results.

It is quicker for that reason.

What I am trying to ask is:
Why does it search for similar file sizes when, if two file sizes are not the exact same size, it can't be the same file?

(01-04-2012, 04:12 PM)Yellows Wrote:

What I am trying to ask is:
Why does it search for similar file sizes when, if two file sizes are not the exact same size, it can't be the same file?

Answer: To narrow the search.

For example if you have files in a directory as the following:
-File1 (10GB)
-File2 (11GB)
-File3 (3.05Kb)
-File4 (3.21Kb)
-File5 (3.25Kb)
-File6 (3.35Kb)
-File7 (3.05Kb)

If you're comparing for similar MD5 hashes, to compare File5 to all files including File1 and File2 would be senseless because obviously they aren't going to be the same file, they have GB's more data than the file in comparison itself. So if you were to compare File5 to File3 through to File7, then that would speed things up because you're not comparing the file to every other file to check for the same MD5 hash, but only a select few now.
Yes, but it is also sensible to believe that the only files that could possibly be identical are File7 and File3, no other files could possibly be the same as another.
Why even do the search on the others?

But that's what i'm trying to say lol, I though you weren't understanding the method of narrowing a search, but this is what my script does with the comparison operation here $b <=> $a from my hash array.
Wait, so File4 and File5 wouldn't be scanned against each other?
If not, what we've said is completely worthless as I've understood what you're saying, LOL.

(01-04-2012, 04:40 PM)Yellows Wrote:
Wait, so File4 and File5 wouldn't be scanned against each other?
If not, what we've said is completely worthless as I've understood what you're saying, LOL.

I wouldn't say completely worthless as it did raise some discussion on how my script works. I haven't had that before because the perl section here is virtually dead anyway. But yes, that's what the comparison method does.

Otherwise I would have to try and set a range to look for in similar filesizes, which wouldn't do any benefit anyway because it's a waste of lines in my code, and any file off by a byte can change the MD5 even if it's a few added null bytes.
No, but have you tried getting banned yet?
I do not know the code, thats why I use duplicate files deleter, its very easy to use and very helpful too to find duplicated files.
I highly recommend to use duplicate files deleter. Here's the link: http://DuplicateFilesDeleter.com

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Admin Page Finder HF~Legend 1 1,289 08-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Last Post: Trump