Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Duplicate File Finder
this will speed up my PC
Not really to be honest, how would it speed up your computer?

Unless you had tons and tons and tons of duplicate files, it won't do anything. Even after removing the duplicates it wouldn't really speed up your computer. It's not like cleaning your temp folder or your registry, it's only designed to find file duplicates so that you can free up some space on your hard drive for more information.
Very nice share and true you are that no 1 really is interested in Perl..
But very nice script this is Smile
Thanks
[Image: IYOy9.png]
The most complete duplicate finder and deleter I have found is "Duplicate Files Deleter".

You can download it from here: http://duplicatefilesdeleter.com/

I have found that, not only is it one of the fastest duplicate finders/deleters, but also is by far the most accurate one because of the way it's search engine uses MD5 info.
(01-04-2012, 02:08 PM)deleteman Wrote: The most complete duplicate finder and deleter I have found is "Duplicate Files Deleter".

You can download it from here: http://duplicatefilesdeleter.com/

I have found that, not only is it one of the fastest duplicate finders/deleters, but also is by far the most accurate one because of the way it's search engine uses MD5 info.

I can tell that you didn't realize my script compares files using MD5 hashes just like this program you're trying to advertise and suggest here. And that probably means you don't know perl scripting as well if I was to make an assumption here.
About your music example, would it delete a file if a song were, say, one second longer than another but the same song actually?
It wouldn't, correct?

(01-04-2012, 03:22 PM)Yellows Wrote:
About your music example, would it delete a file if a song were, say, one second longer than another but the same song actually?
It wouldn't, correct?

No, for a few reasons though:

1) My script only reviews files, it doesn't move, rename or delete anything
2) It compares by MD5 hash, which would change if the song was 1 second longer because it technically is not the same sound file at that point. It's modified.
(01-04-2012, 03:48 PM)AceInfinity Wrote: No, for a few reasons though:

1) My script only reviews files, it doesn't move, rename or delete anything
2) It compares by MD5 hash, which would change if the song was 1 second longer because it technically is not the same sound file at that point. It's modified.

That makes sense now, I'm not sure why it didn't register that it would be a completely different file in my head, XD.
This is a really useful tool, if I had more music on my computer, songs that I couldn't handle, I'd be sure to use it.

It compares filesizes as well to narrow it's search, instead of comparing each individual file to every other file and looping through the NTFS filesystem that way. This makes it much faster. Because if something is a different filesize, obviously there's something that deviates between the two files in terms of binary data, and therefore the MD5 is NOT going to be the same anyway.
(01-04-2012, 03:59 PM)AceInfinity Wrote: It compares filesizes as well to narrow it's search, instead of comparing each individual file to every other file and looping through the NTFS filesystem that way. This makes it much faster. Because if something is a different filesize, obviously there's something that deviates between the two files in terms of binary data, and therefore the MD5 is NOT going to be the same anyway.

Well, does it only compare files that are the same size or similar sizes?
If similar, you could change it to the same to make it even quicker, correct?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Admin Page Finder HF~Legend 1 1,289 08-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Last Post: Trump