Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How should I advertise a forum?
I feel like any method of advertising I use other than using a forum signature is either annoying to others or doesn't work at all. Any ways to get members to join a forum (I do have some money for advertising set aside)?

--
I know that because it is just a general forum, I'm already at a disadvantage, but I really think the current members make the forum different than most and the whole group wants to make the forum successful.
Want to discuss Google's new Nexus 7 tablet?
Want to try and win Google Play credits and Nexus 7 cases?

Nexus 7 Forums
Get friends to join up to help you kick start with posting and activity. Apart from that concentrate on adding new content, optimizing your site for search engines. Here are a few ideas to get a few members to start of with.
1. Post on sites which have subject similar to yours and keep a link to your forum/site in your signature, if you are posting well and helping people out they will notice and will follow the link to your site.
2. Join Yahoo and MSN groups and help out people there and along with that tell people about your site but dont spam.
3. Create new discussions on your forum so that it gives people an incentive to first register and then air their views. No one will join if you wait for them to register and start discussions.
[Image: siggp.png]
(01-16-2011, 08:06 PM)Quinlan Wrote: I feel like any method of advertising I use other than using a forum signature is either annoying to others or doesn't work at all. Any ways to get members to join a forum (I do have some money for advertising set aside)?

--
I know that because it is just a general forum, I'm already at a disadvantage, but I really think the current members make the forum different than most and the whole group wants to make the forum successful.

It's not all about advertising, if someone goes onto your site what is it that will appeal to them to make them register or come back?
It needs to look slick also try not to create sub forums which have no threads. You want to make your forum look as active as possible.
Also think about what the members will gain from going on.
Then start thinking about advertising.
[Image: burninglove4.png]
I can guarantee that posts aren't a problem - 600 posts (I'd guess 99% HQ), but spread out among 25 users in 4 days. I guess general discussion forums in general, unless with really popular users or a couple big Reddit dumps, don't get noticed much.

Nexus 7 Forums
I could use advice too...
Two things that work for me are advertising on forums similar to mine and posting interesting content.
You can advertised your forums in your signature on all other forums you have joined,social network site, tell friends and others and also trying some traffic exchange sites. I find that the most effective way is through friends and traffic site. Make sure you have an appealing forum with great interesting posts.
And since there are a ton of general forums out there, I guess it wouldn't be too hard to start advertising.

I haven't had much success with any traffic exchange sites, but I've never advertised a forum before, so I don't have much experience either way. And other than that, I've tried most everything.

Thanks!

Nexus 7 Forums
I would just use youtube make a cool vid with some deals in the marketplace you could get 100,000 views with blackhat seo and when the vid has lots of views it well just support itself.
[Image: bustedtees.07e3d5a3-8bf6-4c9a-8f85-5bccf2e28120.gif]