Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[TUT] Cinema 4D - Shattering Text [TUT]
So I've been planning on writing up this tutorial for a while now.

I will be going through a few basic features on Cinema 4D which will allow you to create an animated text effect as shown below.

[Image: Clip.gif]

First things first, you're going to need to add some text.

Under "Objects" > "Spline Primitive", select "Text".

You should now have something like this:

[Image: img1.png]

Now under your "Objects Manager", select your text layer. You should now see some properties in your "Attributes Manager".

The only property we will be changing, is the text, located under the Object tab.

Change your text, and choose your desired font.

Next, we need to make your text 3 dimensional. So, go to "Objects" > "NURBS" & select "Extrude NURBS".

Now drag your Text Layer into the Extrude NURBS layer in your Objects Manager.

[Image: img2.png]

Now we will add some colour to your text. In your "Materials Manager", select "File" > "New Material".

Double click on your new material, and you will now be faced with your "Material Editor".

We will only be using Colour, and Specular.

Make sure both of these options are ticked, and then have a little play around with the settings until you're happy.

Once you like the look of your material, simply drag it on top of your text layer.

[Image: img3.png]

Now before we can start adding effects, we need to make our text editable. So select your Extrude NURBS layer, and then go to "Functions" > "Make Editable".

For this tutorial, I will only be adding a shattering effect to my text, so go to "Objects" > "Deformation" > "Shatter".

Now you need to drag your shatter layer into your Extrude NURBS layer, and place it ABOVE Cap 1 & Cap 2.

[Image: img6.png]

Finally, we can start to animate the damn thing!

On your timeline, located above the Materials Manager, make sure your green marker is placed at the beginning (on 0F).

Now select your shatter effect, and you will see a bunch of properties in your Attributes Manager.

Select only the Object tab, and you will see 4 properties;

Strength, Angle Speed, End Size and Randomness.

Hold down CTRL and click the small circle located to the left of each property, so they are coloured red, like so:

[Image: img5.png]

This will add a key frame for each property at the start of your animation.

Now all you need to do is, drag your green marker along your timeline to 60F (or longer/shorter if you wish).

Have a play around with your shatter settings until you're happy with the end result of your "Explosion", and key frame each property again.

Now if you press play, you can see what your animation will look like!

Hope this is helpful to some!
I've never seen that effect before but now I think I'm going to have to try it out. Looks really cool. Great tutorial too, looks very well written. Bookmarked for later Smile.
Me either, its pretty cool even though some letters dont really "shatter" its good to hang on to, thanks for the easy to follow tut!
[Image: gviF7.gif]
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters
will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare.
Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." - Robert Wilensky
(01-16-2011, 01:12 PM)JohnRonder Wrote: Me either, its pretty cool even though some letters dont really "shatter" its good to hang on to, thanks for the easy to follow tut!

Actually, the faces of the letters don't shatter at all, but once you've followed this tutorial, you will become more familiar with using the shatter effect, and work out how to do that yourself.

Got to leave some things out for people to work out for themselves!

Smile
They don't really shatter, it's more of a "collapse" and "shrink", but it's still a cool effect. I've done some similar stuff with After Effects...
Really good tutorial though.
It only seems as if its collapsing & shrinking because I've slowed it down.

If you had an object passing through at the same time as the shatter effect takes place, it will look really good.

Also you can experiment with adding wind, and other various effects to make it more realistic.

This tutorial is only so that people understand the basics of how it is done.
(01-18-2011, 04:31 PM)Fragma Wrote: It only seems as if its collapsing & shrinking because I've slowed it down.

If you had an object passing through at the same time as the shatter effect takes place, it will look really good.

Also you can experiment with adding wind, and other various effects to make it more realistic.

This tutorial is only so that people understand the basics of how it is done.

Was also probably because my internet sucks, it is a GIF after all.
Nice.
I think you should make the text better though.
Looks boring to me.
★★★★★
Victoire
- Shock!
★★★★★
(01-18-2011, 04:42 PM)Shock Wrote: Nice.
I think you should make the text better though.
Looks boring to me.

Why lol it's just a tutorial. You're missing the whole point, I was teaching the shatter effect. The text I use in the tutorial is irrelevant.
(01-18-2011, 04:57 PM)Fragma Wrote: Why lol it's just a tutorial. You're missing the whole point, I was teaching the shatter effect. The text I use in the tutorial is irrelevant.

Haha, I lol'd... if he read the tut, he would notice that he can use any font he wants.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [TuT] How to Bitmine! [Please rate!] iPlay 23 7,172 02-24-2013, 06:38 AM
Last Post: illest
  Cinema 4D rendering problem The Coon. 8 3,323 11-23-2011, 09:24 AM
Last Post: Speedy
  Cinema 4D - Huge Advanced Character Rigging Tutorial Fragma 15 5,629 07-09-2011, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Inventor
  Cinema 4D - Car Smash Tutorial Fragma 29 6,469 06-27-2011, 06:10 AM
Last Post: devilpsn
  Cinema 4D - Morph Tags Demo Fragma 1 2,503 06-19-2011, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Morse Code