Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
guide to self harm [cutting]
(01-03-2011, 11:32 AM)Money Maker* Wrote: ^ Guest, People who cut themselves are actually not attention seekers, or weak people. Maybe mentally week, and have no idea what to do, but this is the state of mind they were put in by their surroundings. They haven't mentally learned how to handle the type of situation that put them in the state. But they definatly are NOT attention seekers.

If you were talking from experience, like me, i'd understand what you're saying. But other than that, go home. Don't come back.

Actually read my post, accredited psychologists source that as the reason and since it is their jobs to understand people with mental issues, whether permanent or temporary, I think I will believe them instead of a couple of kids who have no qualifications to be making these assumptions/statements.

I understand you may feel I am insulting you somehow by statting those facts but I assure you that isn't my goal. Your childish flaming at the end just shows how sad your attempt at an argument is.
^ @ Guest, Your clearly the one flaming it up over here. I was just explaining how i have personal experience, and you haven't provided a source. Get better proof, Please.
(01-03-2011, 11:39 AM)Money Maker* Wrote: ^ @ Guest, Your clearly the one flaming it up over here. I was just explaining how i have personal experience, and you haven't provided a source. Get better proof, Please.

Yet you somehow think you're experience and opinion mean something to me? You have no qualifications whatsoever and are obviously biased as you said yourself you cut or used to. Sheer arrogance. My apologies for believing qualified professionals over you, as you obviously know it all.

The stuff I mentioned is some of the most basic psychology material out there, it's literally everywhere. Consider informing yourself before spewing useless crap into the text box and hitting post.
(01-03-2011, 11:15 AM)Guest Wrote: Good guide but I am going to disagree with the part about cutters being weak people and attention seekers, I honestly think they are. Every person in this world has their own issues, doesn't mean you should cry and harm yourself. I personally wasn't taught any "coping skills", that's something that you develop on your own through experience, self harm is a suree sign of instability, mentally and often socially. So as such, they would be "weaker people" in that sense.

Also, it is clinically proven that self harm is a cry for help, so it is attention seeking by definition.

Other than that, a good tutorial.
thanks guest!
can understand the points are making.

with 'attention seeking' ,this might be just a difference in understanding of the word as did mean seeking attention,but not in the old/traditional way that people see us as-people who senselessly and deliberately look for bad or good attention,the childish attention seeking type.
as a ex cutter fighting the blade at the moment,can honestly see it as seeking attention in a lot cases,but its seeking attention for a very desperate and strong reason,not some silly attention whore type reason [ugh,wish coud think of better words to put it in].
-people who do it for attention whoring reasons,may not have a solid obvious reason on the surface but beneath their mask,they will have a reason to want that attention,so they do have issues to.
think the term is largely outdated,as its always stereotyping us all as 'attention whores' with no reasons behind SH.

it is an interesting point on SH always requiring mental instability in some form,what about people who have had poor family upbringings and havent been taught well enough to cope with issues or what they feel? or perhaps reaction to parents fighting?
is it the child self harming,then who is mentaly unstable,or is it directly the upbringing?

had used cutting as a way to communicate language as well as what was feeling,and also as a sensory seeking habit which has nothing to do with other people-till finaly being given PECS [picture exchange communication system] and taught further makaton,as well as given various sensory integration equipment which has helped cut down on that side of it,its definitely not always the common reasons [eg,feelings issues] that trigger it.
[Image: kittcrew.jpg]
(01-03-2011, 01:40 PM)Silent Scream Wrote: thanks guest!
can understand the points are making.

with 'attention seeking' ,this might be just a difference in understanding of the word as did mean seeking attention,but not in the old/traditional way that people see us as-people who senselessly and deliberately look for bad or good attention,the childish attention seeking type.
as a ex cutter fighting the blade at the moment,can honestly see it as seeking attention in a lot cases,but its seeking attention for a very desperate and strong reason,not some silly attention whore type reason [ugh,wish coud think of better words to put it in].
-people who do it for attention whoring reasons,may not have a solid obvious reason on the surface but beneath their mask,they will have a reason to want that attention,so they do have issues to.
think the term is largely outdated,as its always stereotyping us all as 'attention whores' with no reasons behind SH.

it is an interesting point on SH always requiring mental instability in some form,what about people who have had poor family upbringings and havent been taught well enough to cope with issues or what they feel? or perhaps reaction to parents fighting?
is it the child self harming,then who is mentaly unstable,or is it directly the upbringing?

had used cutting as a way to communicate language as well as what was feeling,and also as a sensory seeking habit which has nothing to do with other people-till finaly being given PECS [picture exchange communication system] and taught further makaton,as well as given various sensory integration equipment which has helped cut down on that side of it,its definitely not always the common reasons [eg,feelings issues] that trigger it.

Thank you for understanding what I am trying to say, I wasn't trying to call "cutters" the attention whore type, you got it spot on.

Plenty of people go through a rough time at home or just life in general and don't resort to cutting, so it really can't be blamed solely on that either, although it definitely is a big factor.

I also feel that coping mechanisms are something you learn on your own, your parents don't really teach you how to deal with that kind of stuff, they can't really be expected to, after all everyone is different.
i have many classmates that do this. they slit there arm with a blade.

i asked them why they do it, they said its cool.. i was like WTF?!
It seems good. It has the potentional to help alot of members who are in distress.
err.... i need help with the list of things im a good at?
That's freakin messed up. Wow. I do it, but not cuz I think it's cool. It makes me pissed when people think it's cool. This guy in my school does it just cause he thinks it's cool.
(01-03-2011, 09:06 PM)Dexdrex007 Wrote: i have many classmates that do this. they slit there arm with a blade.

i asked them why they do it, they said its cool.. i was like WTF?!

It's sad that people do this. Hopefully they can seek help before they hurt themselves.
This was a pretty well written guide. Good job.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Someone close to me is cutting themselves! illest 1 538 03-17-2013, 09:17 PM
Last Post: justagirl
  Cant stop cutting my hair! BlueEz 3 1,121 07-14-2012, 06:46 PM
Last Post: 'Snorlax
  I don't know how to stop cutting. Ihatemyself. 11 1,298 06-04-2012, 07:36 PM
Last Post: Crypto™
  i feel like cutting myself again... zeusthunder10 16 2,980 02-03-2012, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Guest
  Started cutting Kanade 21 2,663 01-30-2012, 09:58 AM
Last Post: NekoChan