Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Career help.
Hello SF.

After a long mental debate, I've decided that I want to be an interpreter & translator of natural languages, as opposed to a web designer, which I had previously considered doing. Unfortunately, I cannot find much documentation online as to how I should go about doing this.

You see, I'm a fluent speaker of self-taught Swedish, which is rather irrelevant considering it's only spoken by about nine million people in a condensed region (Scandinavia). However, I think it's somewhat relevant in that learning a language has basic processes or "stages", no matter which language you are learning.

Obviously, the apparent languages to learn would be major ones, such as Russian, Arabic, Chinese, or Spanish. Right now, I am learning Dutch, but I plan on switching to German for practicality's sake.

The university which I plan to attend offers MANY languages, including ones as dead as Cherokee, Creek, Seminole, ect, and other not so popular ones, such as Finnish and Czech. It obviously offers major ones such as Mandarin, Japanese, Russian, German, ect.
  • Which language(s) should I take at university?
  • Are there any critical classes I need to take NOT related to languages?
  • Should I major in a language, or something else?
  • Should I minor in a language, or business?
  • Do you think that I could be successful in this field, or would it be too difficult to get a job in?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Learn everything you can about languages. Take every class that has remotely anything to do with a language.

Then become an archaeologist.
[Image: MreGSXsigcopy.png]

Just an idea but, you should study FRENCH xD, I think it may really help you.
I think it's a good language to learn because:
-it's a beautiful language
-France and Quebec talk it
-May be of use in different situations

That's why!, Hope I helped

Cheers
[Image: f_pgfbb4em_bde9974.png]
I'd like to see more responses on this. I can't decide whether to do web/graphics design, or interpretation :S
Quote:Just an idea but, you should study FRENCH xD, I think it may really help you.
Haha, Elektrisk, if you do that choice, i could be a real help for you Tongue

Quote:* Which language(s) should I take at university?
Mandarin. It will be surelly really very useful in the future.

Quote:Are there any critical classes I need to take NOT related to languages?
I don't know.

Quote:#
# Should I major in a language, or something else?
# Should I minor in a language, or business?
# Do you think that I could be successful in this field, or would it be too difficult to get a job in?
It's hard to answer ... I mean, it depends of the context, and what do you really want to do.
But, if you're successful in this field, i would say that it wouldn't be really difficult to get a job. Afterall, it depends in which sector you want to work.
Just do what ur heart tells you to do :]
Quote: Just do what ur heart tells you to do :]

This would be nice if it were that easy Sad I have to consider what will make me good dough and such.
What you should consider doing is enlisting in the Army or Air Force and being a linguist. Yeah you don't get much money at first, but, you WILL learn a language fluent in about 8 months. What's the catch? Well, to be a linguist you have to take the DLAB, which is a test made up of a fake made up language. It scores you, and the higher you score the more languages you can take. The training is average 8 months of total immersion into the language. But, the perks? You get language proficiency pay for each language you speak while in the military. You also get free college while your in, and when you get out you have $50k+ worth of free college to use towards higher education, certifications, foreign study, etc.

If you're worried about deploying there really is no need to worry, more than likely your language isn't needed in Iraq/Afghanistan ;).

Plus, that opens up all sorts of doors for you in the interpretation world (you could work at Department of State, the UN, a private corporation making some bank).

You take 5 years out of your life doing this (then you can do the remaining 3 years in the guard or reserve). You get out with an extra language, some decent money saved up, college all paid for (with more to come), and experience.
Do you know how to make games? Do you know 3d Modeling? If so then visit
[Image: logo.png]
Study hard at university and get as much practical work experience as possible. Try converting foreign documentaries and things like that.
Something tells me that this decision had something to do with the "Things that are wrong with the English language" thread. Regardless, I wish you your best in the field and I do believe that it can be quite a rewarding occupation.
Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out.
  • Which language(s) should I take at university?
    You should take: French, Italian, or German

• Are there any critical classes I need to take NOT related to languages?
    The classes will depend on what career you want to take such a an example:
    If I take medicine some of the needed classes are chemistry, physics etc.

• Should I major in a language, or something else?
    I think you will do good as long as you feel good about it

• Should I minor in a language, or business?
    IMHO I think you should take a minor language because that will give you an advantage if you want to be a translator or interpreter. Do what you feel like doing.

• Do you think that I could be successful in this field, or would it be too difficult to get a job in?
    I think you will because there are a lot of companies who want translator/interpreters/etc. You will do great Big Grin
[Image: mynewsig.jpg]

Want to know how to stop offline Phisher for good, well click here

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to choose a career? Chelloa 14 1,664 12-03-2011, 11:11 PM
Last Post: HostGap
  Whats your career? mike+holst 14 1,666 06-25-2010, 02:24 PM
Last Post: S1d3 D00r