Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(chemistry question): simple answer please help
If my question seems stupid I am sorry; I am taking a chemistry class and we are using electrolysis and all that crap (quite fun actually). I had a science experiment where we had several vials of chemicals and we were detecting the PH factor for acids. Well everybody has atleast one dumbass ass friend he was over and he spilled my tube of Acetic acid.

We are currently on winter break and this happened on my last day of school (for winter break) in the morning. During the day I told my teacher that I would have all experiment(s) done by the time I am back at school (I agreed cause I need to get all my credits up or I am not passing.) in the most non suspicious way I started asked him if he had any extra acetic acid and he told me no; my heart sank but he said I can make some with vinegar?

He said I already have all the equipment necessary as I can do it with household items and he told me that I should wear safety goggles, be in a well ventilated area and to wear orange gloves (we have different colored gloves for different operations; orange gloves are the most protective.)

I tried searching on the internet and all it tells me is that vinegar is actually just diluted acetate acid. Which is honestly good news however how can I extract the pure acetate from it? Thanks for your answers; I will be glad to return the favor ;)
slowly getting better
(12-18-2010, 03:35 AM)Cybra Wrote: If my question seems stupid I am sorry; I am taking a chemistry class and we are using electrolysis and all that crap (quite fun actually). I had a science experiment where we had several vials of chemicals and we were detecting the PH factor for acids. Well everybody has atleast one dumbass ass friend he was over and he spilled my tube of Acetic acid.

We are currently on winter break and this happened on my last day of school (for winter break) in the morning. During the day I told my teacher that I would have all experiment(s) done by the time I am back at school (I agreed cause I need to get all my credits up or I am not passing.) in the most non suspicious way I started asked him if he had any extra acetic acid and he told me no; my heart sank but he said I can make some with vinegar?

He said I already have all the equipment necessary as I can do it with household items and he told me that I should wear safety goggles, be in a well ventilated area and to wear orange gloves (we have different colored gloves for different operations; orange gloves are the most protective.)

I tried searching on the internet and all it tells me is that vinegar is actually just diluted acetate acid. Which is honestly good news however how can I extract the pure acetate from it? Thanks for your answers; I will be glad to return the favor ;)

I think this is what you need.

http://www.steroidology.com/forum/chemic...ost2698210
I sit in this small hole and think

the voices aren't real

but they have the most beautiful ideas.
(12-18-2010, 04:35 AM)Xander Wrote: I think this is what you need.

http://www.steroidology.com/forum/chemic...ost2698210

Cool Thanks!
this is perfect
if anybody would like to share other methods it is fine with me as I will be performing the one listed above now; the more methods Ik the easier it is also (I like knowing multiple methods of achieving the same goal too)
slowly getting better

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chemistry Lab Help sparten1527 0 534 05-14-2013, 04:19 PM
Last Post: sparten1527
  Can someone help me with these two Pre-AP Chemistry problems? Amazing 1 688 06-23-2012, 02:58 AM
Last Post: iScience
  Chemistry- solved Aero 6 1,038 01-19-2012, 07:15 PM
Last Post: Aero
  CHEMISTRY SUCKS!!!! Liberated360 27 5,371 07-16-2011, 06:55 AM
Last Post: Mr. Beaux
  Studying For Chemistry blazendevil2 3 1,177 06-24-2011, 06:18 AM
Last Post: FaRLisLe