Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Should I take up VB?
It seems like a very childish language- the whole "drag and drop" concept does not appeal to me at all. I would like to learn it because you can create applications easily with it. Should I take it up? If I want to learn another programming language later on it will be very difficult for me though, as it will be totally different and not drag and drop; I'll have to start from 0.
No, take up C++.
(11-27-2010, 01:01 PM)Zeon Wrote: It seems like a very childish language- the whole "drag and drop" concept does not appeal to me at all. I would like to learn it because you can create applications easily with it. Should I take it up? If I want to learn another programming language later on it will be very difficult for me though, as it will be totally different and not drag and drop; I'll have to start from 0.
You won't have to start from 0. VB has great OOP abilities which are useful for other lannguages too. Vb is much more than drag n drop
My software company: Porosis Software
Games: Terrantula
Apps: Mathanasis, ColorGrabber
Yeah, When I started to code... I learnt HTML and then went onto VB Smile
(11-27-2010, 10:47 PM)Reality Wrote: No, take up C++.

It's too complicated, plus I have on one to teach me.
(11-28-2010, 10:31 AM)Zeon Wrote: It's too complicated, plus I have on one to teach me.

It not complicated at all.
I taught myself Smile
If you are determined to learn C++ you should check this out: http://newdata.box.sk/bx/c

It's a much better language than VB.
Even C++ is drag and drop in Visual Studio. It's up to you if you want to learn to program in VB or not. I find it a very easy language to get started in. A lot of people say Python is a great language for beginners as well. As thanasis said, VB is a good way to get a grasp on Object-Oriented Programming. If you want a language similar to VB but with a more 'programming' type syntax, look at C#..
In my opinion, you should definatly learn VB, whether it be VB.NET or VB6.

I have worked with VB.NET before on projects on HF.NET and have really enjoyed the experience.

GeissT
(11-28-2010, 10:26 PM)GeissT Wrote: In my opinion, you should definatly learn VB, whether it be VB.NET or VB6.

I have worked with VB.NET before on projects on HF.NET and have really enjoyed the experience.

GeissT
VB6 has become way too old. VB.NET is better.
My software company: Porosis Software
Games: Terrantula
Apps: Mathanasis, ColorGrabber