Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re-Installing v Re-Formatting.
(10-11-2009, 06:43 PM)dark Wrote: My method is to reformat so in the way it wont bring any slightly problem occurs due to wipe out whole of datas as i wanted it to be. I also dont have problem with backing up data as i'd just transfer certain files onto my flash drive before ahead to proceed the reformat progress.

I'm beginning to feel a little odd here now, being the only one that does this.
(10-11-2009, 06:44 PM)Lord_Scorch Wrote: Hello;

This is a good little article, but I prefer the reformat as it clears the virsus, clutter, and programs that I no longer use. Whilst a reinstall just mainly fixes the corrupted features in Windows.

Also, here's a fine debate on the subject: http://forum.pcstats.com/showthread.php?p=325022

Thank you Lord_S!

I had a look at that page there and I'm almost convinced you know...;)

Ah, but when I say re-install, I have never done an in-place install/re-install, into the same Windows folder on any drive at all!

Maybe I shoiuldn't have said re-install, as people may think that means,
re-installing Windows, as an in-place install, overwriting an existing version. No sir, I didn't mean that, as I did say to install onto a new partiton,
or into a new Windows folder called Windows1, meaning yes, it would be a fresh install.

The OS would also be clean would it not, seeing as it's an OS in it's own space. There would be no corrupted files on that OS, as any corrupted files would be on the older OS.

I see what the problem could be though, leaving those files there, when they don't really need to be. But they can be deleted at any later time though.
[Image: SF1d.gif]

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance - Confucius
------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, I'm new to the forum and a beginner and that first thread sounded so confusing to me (no offense). Reason being (i think) is because I have an Acer Extenza 4620z that i bought reformatting CD's for. I guess i'm one of those people u were talking about that doesn't know there are other options out there. But can you tell me again how I would go about reinstalling as aposed to reformatting because these CD's is all i know. And let me tell you from what i am hearing, reformatting is suppose to wipe your system clean of everything. Yeah, it took my added programs away but but left everything else. Can you go into more detail about how to reinstall please? -- Thanks

GoldiLX
You should get rid of the colors. Tongue

Nonetheless, this gave me a basic understanding on the differences between the two. Thanks!
Great explanation to differentiate the difference between the two terms. I often hear them a lot.

This helps me to better understant the terms now. Thanks.
I would Re - Format as its almost like a new start.
In my opinion, i would just do a re-format as it gives you fresh start so you can do all the changes in the way you like.
nice information. I've heard someone saying that often formatting causes some problems in HDD is it true?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [EASY] Installing a virtual OS [VIDEO] Telhast 13 1,491 11-30-2011, 12:57 PM
Last Post: ISO