Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TuToRiAl] Text too small to read on desktop? Zoom In on this!
Hello, now i'm guessing that you clicked on this thread for answers on how to make the text bigger so that you can actually read it.
Well thanks to Microsoft, they have created a tool on every computer called Magnifier.

It will zoom in and follow your mouse, wherever it is on the desktop.
Heres a little tutorial with a visual on how to use it.

First go to Run> and type in "magnify.exe" or just "magnify" without quotes.

[Image: 293u42s.png]

Second, this window should pop up on your desktop.

[Image: 23lyxy8.png]

Next, it gives us settings. Now, as you know in a Mac OS, you can invert the colors of your desktop screen.
Now you too can invert the colors in Windows 7 (unsure of Vista). Below are steps to perform this action.

1) Hit Options (the screw on the Magnifier)

2) Check the checkbox "Turn on color inversion" and hit OK if you want it permanent . (I just learned this today lol).

[Image: 10dcy2g.png]

RESULTS:

[Image: 16ia834.png]

Cool, ain't it now?

================

Back on track. If you want to read something tiny, hit the plus sign and the whole computer display will follow you cursor,
zooming in on what you need to see/read. Hitting the plus zooms in, negative sign zooms out. Easy to understand.

[Image: nw0xnt.png]

Now you can change how it either follows your cursor, or something else. Below are your options to use as a substitute.

[Image: 69pevs.png]

================
Full screen is the default, I don't really have to explain that one, its pretty self explanatory.

Heres how each of these options look.

Lens
[Image: dyksva.png]

Decked (lol)
[Image: ofvzuv.png]

And last but not least, the most non-useful part of all software in the world, the Help Button.
(I wont post a picture because I hate it so much.)

Thats all guys and this was a tutorial on how to use and read small text with Magnifier.

Enjoy! Hope this helps in the future.
[Image: t5BWm.png]
This is a nice tutorial Smile Another thing to mention is that you can change all the visual effects from the personalization menu in the right click menu. You can change the font size for the text in your active title bars and your desktop icon size as well as the text size. If you need something viewed in a bigger size in a web browser you can go to view and zoom, or in IE theres the zoom at the bottom right which is default at 100%. Or you can hold down Ctrl and press "+" for zooming in and "-" for zooming out.
(10-03-2010, 06:21 PM)Infinity Wrote: you can hold down Ctrl and press "+" for zooming in and "-" for zooming out.

Yeah but the thing is thats only for a webbrowser.... ;) but nonetheless, of course. Also, thats only for windows applications... it wont change the font of software ;) thats where this comes in handy.
You can actually change the DPI text size, but over time i've found that it has screwed up the view in some of my coded applications. It's a good tutorial, I just like mentioning things that would be alternatives to give everyone all the information that they might want in the same area. All of the methods mentioned by you and me can alter that computer setting.

(even though I mentioned changing the DPI text size, that was only for education lol. It's not recommended by me though.)
(10-03-2010, 06:36 PM)Infinity Wrote: You can actually change the DPI text size, but over time i've found that it has screwed up the view in some of my coded applications. It's a good tutorial, I just like mentioning things that would be alternatives to give everyone all the information that they might want in the same area. All of the methods mentioned by you and me can alter that computer setting.

(even though I mentioned changing the DPI text size, that was only for education lol. It's not recommended by me though.)

Agreed always good to have options. Thumbsup (thanks in the emotional s. section)

Be honest did you know about the color inversion?>
(10-03-2010, 06:39 PM)L3g1tWa5te Wrote: Agreed always good to have options. Thumbsup (thanks in the emotional s. section)

Be honest did you know about the color inversion?>

Nope, I only know of the options that are available in newer OS. But I dont actually use them. I use all the older methods of doing things that i'm used to. It's a habbit i've dealt with moving from Windows 98, to Windows 2000 and Windows NT. I still have XP, and i've tried Vista, but upgraded to Windows 7 on one of my desktop computers.

I dont use the magnifier because it just takes time to open up and dock on your computer screen. Takes up viewing space too, and my eyes are good enough to see the font since I have a 52" monitor in my computer area.

I would consider using the zoom tool (Magnifier) for my laptop though, but it's not often that i've had to use it.
(10-03-2010, 06:47 PM)Infinity Wrote: Nope, I only know of the options that are available in newer OS. But I dont actually use them. I use all the older methods of doing things that i'm used to. It's a habbit i've dealt with moving from Windows 98, to Windows 2000 and Windows NT. I still have XP, and i've tried Vista, but upgraded to Windows 7 on one of my desktop computers.

I dont use the magnifier because it just takes time to open up and dock on your computer screen. Takes up viewing space too, and my eyes are good enough to see the font since I have a 52" monitor in my computer area.

I would consider using the zoom tool (Magnifier) for my laptop though, but it's not often that i've had to use it.

Dang your a bit older then I thought. I'm a high-school freshman... Big Grin lol
(10-03-2010, 06:48 PM)L3g1tWa5te Wrote: Dang your a bit older then I thought. I'm a high-school freshman... Big Grin lol

lol I'll take that as a compliment for my maturity haha

Everyone starts out somewhere with computer knowledge, you'll learn a few things here and there the more you deal with computers and see all the changes and marketing microsoft does. Good tutorials Smile
(10-03-2010, 06:51 PM)Infinity Wrote: lol I'll take that as a compliment for my maturity haha

Everyone starts out somewhere with computer knowledge, you'll learn a few things here and there the more you deal with computers and see all the changes and marketing microsoft does. Good tutorials Smile

Do you think I know a lot about cpus for my age?... Because when I ask people I know they're dumbstruck and bend down and kiss my feet because i'm too good for them, thats why I want an honest opinion please... lol off track but while I have your attention --
CPU = computer processing unit lol

but i'd say you know a fair bit about computers for your age. knowledge isn't given to someone, so even if you do the research to find things out. You're still learning, and your still gaining knowledge. Can't really test what you know, but you're off to a better start then most adults I know that need to ask me how to set up their wireless network encryption.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [EaZy TuToRiAl] How to Block 99.9% of Ads on Google Chrome [EaZy TuToRiAl] Resistance 7 1,128 11-07-2010, 05:48 PM
Last Post: Microsoft