Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Tut] How to create a Guide.
This will help you make a guide to the best of your ability.

Things to remember:
  • Grammar - Grammar is one of the most important aspects of a guide. Poor grammar makes you look unintelligent and childish; resulting in others not taking you or your guide seriously.
  • Pictures - Pictures greatly help the quality of a guide. Guides that are only text are a pain to read and are often confusing. Include pictures for every step you do.
  • Detail - Be as descriptive as possible. You want people to understand what you are trying to tell them.

1. Your topic
Choose something to write about. Make sure it is something useful that not everyone knows about. Make sure you understand everything you will be explaining.

2. Writing your guide
The first thing you should have in your guide is information about your topic. Include the following:
  • What is your guide about?
  • What is it used for?

When writing your guide, follow the steps you are saying to be sure they are accurate. Take screenshots or pictures with every step.

How to take a screenshot:
There are two ways to do this.

To take a screenshot of the entire screen (windows):
  1. Press the Print Screen key on your keyboard (sometimes labeled SysRq).
  2. Open MS Paint. Open the Run... box (from Start Menu, or press Windows+R and type pbrush or mspaint).
  3. Paste your picture in to Paint (paste or ctrl+v)
  4. Save the picture.

To take a screenshot of only the window you are in (windows):
  1. Press the ALT and Print Screen key on your keyboard (sometimes labeled SysRq).
  2. Open MS Paint. Open the Run... box (from Start Menu, or press Windows+R and type pbrush or mspaint).
  3. Paste your picture in to Paint (paste or ctrl+v)
  4. Save the picture.

Uploading a screenshot:
  1. Go to http://imageshack.us.
  2. Click browse... and locate the picture you wish to upload.
  3. Click upload.

Once it is uploaded you will be directed to a page with the link to your picture on it. Copy the direct image link.

To put an image in your guide:
Place image tags around the link to your picture:
Code:
[IMG]http://i434.photobu.cket.com/albums/qq61/Ryo1234567890/Self%20made/peacockcopypng.png[/IMG]

3. Organizing your guide
Organization is important. It makes your guide easier to understand and read.

Tips:
  • Make important details bold, italicized, or underlined. This is done by wrapping them in text tags:
    PHP Code:
    TEXT TEXT TEXT 

• Make your step titles in easy to see colors. This helps by showing people where they are in the guide.
    Colors to use: White, Red, Yellow, Lime Green
    Colors not to use: Black, Blue, Purple, Dark Green

Guide Format Tips:
  • By following this information, you should be able to construct an organized guide, providing your information is correct, hoping to increase the overall intellectual level of the guides.
  • Categories, which are smaller individual sections of the specific guide.
  • Sub categories, which would just be smaller portions of information which pertain to the topic of the category.
  • Pictures, these are great visuals which make learning a much more fun and more simplistic experience.
  • Spacing, this will allow readers to accurately separate sections of the guide step-by-step.
  • Background information, this information will provide a little bit to th reader about how you knowledge is voluminous on the specific subject.
  • Outside information, this just gives the reader a bit more information to help them conceptualize the overall topic more accurately.
  • No spelling errors and grammatical errors, this will make the guide more legible and easier to comprehend which is an over plus.
  • Provide examples, this will give them an idea of how something is supposed to be done.
  • Introduction, a small portion of the guide which should tell readers what the guides main points are about and what you will discuss.

Example:
Quote:Introduction-(A little bit about how you gained this knowledge and the main points which you will put forth.)

Buying a Hummer Category #1) This is just the area where you will put the main topic which is above.
Where to Buy a Hummer-(Sub Category #1) This is where you can list where to buy the Hummers.

Pictures of the Hummer-(Pictures) Post pictures of the sticks you wrote of before.

Posted it on another forum, but I haven't been very active here so... I thought I'd contribute. :3
[Image: Zephie_Sig_by_GKmero.png]
I still use TinyPic, and photobucked has a limit in addition to not allowing you to upload anything until you register. TinyPic is just a habit now for me in uploading pictures Smile Otherwise I use MegaUpload.
(09-26-2010, 12:07 AM)Infinity Wrote: I still use TinyPic, and photobucked has a limit in addition to not allowing you to upload anything until you register. TinyPic is just a habit now for me in uploading pictures Smile Otherwise I use MegaUpload.

I have a Tinypic account as well. It just became tedious... I don't like Capchas. :p

http://tinypic.com/2mpjil3c

I use Imageshack for pictures I don't want to save and I have a few Photobucket accounts for various things.
Yeah, I hate those Captchas. It's a very nice tutorial btw. I find it nice how you write a tutorial on how to write a good tutorial haha Smile I'm going to assume that making organized lists in a guide is part of the "Organization" area? You have layed out this tutorial very nicely with the
bbcode, in addition to color for the main titles. 9/10. You should add the word List somewhere in the organization area. Then this is a really good guide. Nothing major, and you did really well Smile
(09-26-2010, 12:21 AM)Infinity Wrote: Yeah, I hate those Captchas. It's a very nice tutorial btw. I find it nice how you write a tutorial on how to write a good tutorial haha Smile I'm going to assume that making organized lists in a guide is part of the "Organization" area? You have layed out this tutorial very nicely with the
bbcode, in addition to color for the main titles. 9/10. You should add the word List somewhere in the organization area. Then this is a really good guide. Nothing major, and you did really well Smile

Thanks. :3 I didn't think anything about lists was necessary, I'll consider adding it later though. I'll post some more guides soon. I've got a few on basic computer security I might share.
Good guide. Colors/bolds/underlines also make the reading more comfortable, but don`t overdo it.
(09-26-2010, 02:02 AM)FibSaSk Wrote: Good guide. Colors/bolds/underlines also make the reading more comfortable, but don`t overdo it.

I use colors to emphasize key points. Maybe it does look a bit over done in some areas though. Might need to expand the text a little bit. ;)
Beautiful guide man, keep it up i think.
Did you make this??
Quite basic stuff!! But thanks!
Member Count:1,585
Thread Count:9,626
RF is an off-topic, general chat forum where anything goes.
Complete these requirements and be 1st VIP member {click me}

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  We have to create content. unusedunsued22 2 519 12-29-2017, 03:44 AM
Last Post: rasnajacob
  [TUT] How To Make A MineCraft Server [TUT] Psychotic Villain 3 1,025 07-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Last Post: EaGLeZ