Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IP locator websites..?
They just have relations with ISP.
When they receive an IP address, they have a pre database containing all the ip address and matching information with them.
So when some one lookups for an ip, then search for their db and get you the result.
There DB is updated every time.
They ask you. The browser asks your computer what city are you in and it only knows how to reply. I believe it's all client side, no information is passed to these companys.
(09-03-2010, 11:28 AM)MarkW7 Wrote: They ask you. The browser asks your computer what city are you in and it only knows how to reply. I believe it's all client side, no information is passed to these companys.

That can't be right because I can search any IP address not just my own and get the same information.
(09-03-2010, 02:35 PM)Fragma Wrote: That can't be right because I can search any IP address not just my own and get the same information.
Location / hostname Can all be got from doing a whois on your IP. your browser is detected by it's useragent string.
(09-03-2010, 02:46 PM)Iarkey Wrote: Location / hostname Can all be got from doing a whois on your IP. your browser is detected by it's useragent string.

Lol. Have you read the rest of the thread? I don't really know how I can explain this any clearer.. What I want is to know how websites like http://www.whatismyipaddress.com/ can collect so much information on ANY IP address. I've said it like 5 times already Tongue.
(08-29-2010, 09:05 AM)Fragma Wrote: So I have been wondering, how do sites like http://whatismyipaddress.com/ gather so much information from an IP address? Where do they grab the information from?

If I was to create an IP locator, how would I go about doing it?

Thanks a lot,
- Jack

Hi,
If you want to display Ip address details of your visitor to them.It's very Simple.You can just add HTML code from the site Ip-Details.com .You can just copy and Paste this Code to your website coding.Then your visitor's Ip address will be displayed to them.....
Nearly every reply has been mistaken.

1.) Those websites aren't *only* using an IP address to get the displayed info. Your web browser sends the information in what are known as *server variables* which are then accessed programatically through some sort of scripting language.

2.) The information is most certainly not coming from any ISP - Why does my IP resolve to someplace more than 3,000 miles away from my actual location?

3.) Your desktop application would need an internet connection, so why not simply use utilities such as "jwhois" [Fedora] and others?

4.) To make your own desktop application, you would create a user interface that uses the existing services to get the information and then display it any way you wish.

[Image: palm-sig.jpg]
That's quite easy, there is basically use of Javascript or PHP or you can use both to print out all of the user's Info.
There are a lot of predefined functions in javascript and php that prints all of the info you can use these to make a custom IP locator script.

i can a lot of users posting the codes for that, grab it and have fun!

i would suggest you learn Javascript and PHP if you don't understand the codes.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  List of Top Websites to Learn How to Code tk-hassan 0 251 06-13-2021, 11:29 PM
Last Post: tk-hassan
  My Websites. Baked 6 1,548 03-26-2011, 08:14 PM
Last Post: Baked
  Welcome title for websites. Akshay* 0 729 10-14-2009, 02:54 AM
Last Post: Akshay*
  Introduction to javascript 1.3 for websites-part 1 Akshay* 5 1,023 10-11-2009, 08:10 AM
Last Post: Akshay*