Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just installed Ubuntu.
I downloaded the 10.04v. some time ago, never really got to installing it. However, today I felt like it was the time for a change. I quickly rushed to the hardware/computer store next to my house, grabbed a CD-R, burned the image, and installed it.

Nobody can say that doesn't have bugs, but, at first glance, it looks better than Windows, and that's good enough for me.

Anyone here new to Ubuntu?
I just restarted using Ubuntu about a month ago.

Before, I had Ubuntu on my Playstation 3, but Sony released an update deleting the Other OS and the ability to have one.

Ubuntu is beast, in my opinion.
I first used Ubuntu in 2006 and have used various distro's since, its an alright distro but it has its flaws, for example it uses the apt package manager. I'm not saying that apt is bad but compared to rpm based package managers or even arch's pacman is painfully slow. I think its good for newer users because of the massive community and the fact that most software for Linux comes with a .deb package whereas some software does not include a .pkg.tar.gz or .rpm, so it is rare to have to compile from source, which you don't really want to be doing. Anyway, good look with your Ubuntu install, I hope that you stick with it and don't end up going back to Windows like most users =]
I ran into a lot of problems with Ubuntu. It kept freezing a lot.

Right now, I'm sticking to Fedora, which is amazing.
Fedora is a great distro. you should look into different Desktop Environments before getting settled with GNOME. Fedora has some bugs, which can be fixed by restarting

I recommend trying fluxbox or Xfce.

KDE makes it look like Windows (the desktop style), so I don't like that.

X gives you a top panel with the Fedora Menu and everything, along with everything in a right click, meaning you have your browsers, office, etc in a right click.

Fluxbox gives you a panel with not much information on it, you have to run applets to get them on it, such as nm-applet. nm-applet gives you internet, alt + f2 allows you to run it. I guess you'd have to understand Fedora before switching to flux though
Ive been using ubuntu for about 4 months now. I have it duelboot with windows 7.
Ive never had any bug with it at all :S
[Image: blanktemplate.png]
if you have a computer with more then 1gb ram and 10 gb hdd then ubuntu is for you...
Ubuntu is beast...
update to maverick meerket. Its the best =)
slowly getting better
got a fairly old laptop which I used to run win xp on. installed Ubuntu about 2 mouths ago and been loving it!
I am new to Ubuntu and I think it's much more cooler and awesome than Windows. It especially pwns Mac. Its GUI is very sexy and the best of all is that you can do everything since its an open-source OS.
[Image: ?uh=6167676F75726173&u3=7823656]
i'm also new in Ubuntu.. with 10.10 , i burnt in my flash drive and installed.
With GUI, easier to manage my work.
But some kernel need to understand.
AmenSan
flickr®

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Get Ubuntu 11.04 >>Upgrade from Ubuntu 10.10 aminmusa 15 7,093 04-25-2011, 02:06 AM
Last Post: aminmusa
  [ubuntu v=9.10]Apache2 errors[/ubuntu] jfmherokiller 10 3,693 11-23-2010, 08:26 PM
Last Post: haphazard
  Tutorial: Installing Ubuntu/Basics of Ubuntu Canoris 16 9,234 05-31-2010, 05:31 PM
Last Post: Natha