Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[tut] Installing MyBB on a cPanel Host
This tutorial should run you no more than an hour depending on your reading abilities and the speed of upload for your host. There are approximately 700-1000 files associated with MyBB that you will have to upload, please make sure your FTP client is configured so you do not get blocked by your hosts firewall. For more information about maximum connections, etc. please consult your host, as each host has individual limits.

So, you have found your host already, and are ready to install a MyBB forum on your new domain. Well, in order to do that, you are going to have to do a few things.

Before we get into it, if you do not have a host, please see a previous tutorial I have written, titled Finding the Right Host for You

Ok, so before we get into anything, make sure you have already:
1. Received your account information from your host. This can take up to 24 hours depending on if manual or automatic setup is enabled by them.
2. Updated your nameservers on your domain to point to the hosts nameservers they provided you.
3. Are logged into cPanel.

1. OK, step one of course is to log into cPanel. The welcome email your host sent you will contain your login information.

2. Once you have logged in, you need to click on SQL Databases. You can also use the search function in the upper left corner to find it.

3. After you have clicked on it, you will see a text box, the first on on the page, titled Create a Databse. Put the name of your database into there. The output will more than likely be your username for cPanel followed by whatever you put in there. We'll call it MyBB. So it will look like this:
cPanellogin_mybb.

4. Next, we must create a user. So click Go Back at the bottom of the page, it should bring you back to the SQL Databses wizard. If not, click on home in the upper right hand corner, and follow step 2 again.

Now we are back at the SQL Databses Wizard. Scroll to the bottom of the page. You should see something to the effect of:
SQL Users
Add New User.
Fill in your information there. It doesn't have to be complex, well, the password should be, as well as it should be different than your other passwords. Once you have filled out the little form, click create user. Than Go Back. If it doesn't bring you to the same page, follow step 4 again Big Grin
Your username should be something like this:
cPanellogin_username

5. Now, we need to add the user to the database. Scroll down to the bottom, just above your Current Users box. You will see 2 drop down menus under a bold heading: Add user to Database. You will see the drop down menus are titled User and Database. Can you guess which one is the User drop down menu and which one is the Database one? Big Grin Well, select your database and user, click the Add User button (or submit, whatever it says for you). It will bring you to a screen that talks about privileges. We need the user to have all privileges, so click the box titled All Privileges. Then go down to Make Changes, and click that. You should get a success page. If not, try again. If you still can't get it to work, contact your host, they may have something that didn't configure properly.

6. You now need to get a copy of MyBB. Proceed to MyBB Downloads. You should see a box that says download now. Click it, and save (remember where you save it to, you need to extract it next). Then extract the file to a location that you remember and is easy to access. I personally have a folder in Documents that is linked to from my RocketDock titled My Websites. I put everything to do with them in there. Including the MyBB installation file. You may want to do this on your desktop if you don't have RocketDock.

7. So, we have extracted the files to an easy to get to location. Next we need to log into our server account with an FTP client. I prefer Filezilla Client. Open: Your path > MyBB Folder > Upload. Highlight all that is there, then drag it into your FTP program into the public_html directory, keeping the file structure intact.

8. Now that we have uploaded all the files we must proceed to the following URL to install:
Code:
http://www.yourdomain.com/install
Click Next, then Agree (Read the license first). A check will be performed, make sure it says Writable in green for everything from PHP/XML Extension down. Click Next. You should be looking at a screen where you have to enter the Database information. Enter it. Remember, the database name is something like cpanellogin_database and the user is cpanellogin_user. Enter the password you chose for you user, and it's ok to leave everything else what it defaults as. Click Next. It should create some tables. Click Next to populate them and proceed with installation. Then you go to the population, click next. Next again for the default theme insertion. This brings you to the board configuration. Change the board name to whatever you want, the forum URL leave how it is, unless you installed it into a folder such as
Code:
http://www.yourdomain.com/forum
in which case make sure it says that. This needs to be the path to the index.php file. Change your website name as well. And the contact email. This brings you to your Administrator account information. REMEMBER WHAT YOU PUT HERE! It should be successful now Big Grin You now have a working copy of MyBB installed on your account. Click on either visit your forum or the Admin CP.

9. Go to your install directory. If you installed it to the root of public_html it will be at public_html/install. Delete it. Now, you have a more secure MyBB Installation Big Grin

Congratulations!!! If you have any problems doing this please don't hesitate to post here, PM me, or add me on MSN: oop.lonestar [at] hotmail.com.

Default MyBB is kind of lame, so add a Theme to your installation.
Want some plugins? Well, I'd recommend first hitting up the Mods Directory on the MyBB Website.

I also recommend checking out Omni/Labrocca's MyBB Plugins site. www.mybbcentral.com. You must be a Subscriber there to download plugins. I believe it costs $10 for the lifetime subscription, it's well worth it as he has developed some VERY HIGH QUALITY plugins.

Also, www.mybbcentral.com has some good plugins, especially for the MyPS.

As always, before installing any plugins or themes make sure you backup your database. Which you can do through your Admin CP.

To be added: Additional Security Measures to take to secure your MyBB Installation.
Do you know how to make games? Do you know 3d Modeling? If so then visit
[Image: logo.png]
Bump for justice.
Do you know how to make games? Do you know 3d Modeling? If so then visit
[Image: logo.png]
This is an amazing tutorial, Grizzly. Very good job! Smile
At the top will be the same place you hang from.
You have written very detail tut thanks.

Suggestion- some pics if possible.
[Image: 2zszdd5.png]
Damn where is grizzly these days anyway?
One of the "quality" members of SF.
As for the tutorial. Very well dont Grizzly. I expect nothing less from you mate.
The Rules!
FTW Forum <-- Home of the Damned! --> Join me On MM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Choosing a good host, The right host for you. 4EVERPROXY 6 3,143 05-09-2014, 09:47 AM
Last Post: NexSolutions
  [TUT] - Navigating cPanel - by Uzi. Uzi 4 1,371 06-11-2012, 02:41 PM
Last Post: Uzi
  [tut] Finding the Host for You Grizzly 25 5,119 07-03-2011, 09:41 PM
Last Post: Link