Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Some Installation Help
(07-30-2011, 09:36 PM)Ace Wrote: I would recommend creating one though instead of going and just downloading it side by side

I created a tutorial here on how to shrink a hard drive volume. Then on install you can create the Linux partition for Mint and format it to ext4.

http://www.supportforums.net/showthread....#pid224609
(07-30-2011, 09:36 PM)Ace Wrote: I would recommend creating one though instead of going and just downloading it side by side

I created a tutorial here on how to shrink a hard drive volume. Then on install you can create the Linux partition for Mint and format it to ext4.

If he doesn't like Linux, he won't be able to merge the the amount of hard drive space he shrinked with the original partition unless he reformats everything. And from my experience many people don't stick to Linux.

That was why I suggested side by side installation as an option to try to see if linux is for him.
[Image: newsigcarbidenoborder.png]
(07-30-2011, 09:52 PM)Carbide Wrote: If he doesn't like Linux, he won't be able to merge the the amount of hard drive space he shrinked with the original partition unless he reformats everything. And from my experience many people don't stick to Linux.

That was why I suggested side by side installation as an option to try to see if linux is for him.

No, you can merge it back into your main partition again. You delete the data from the partition, it become unallocated, and you extend the original again.
(07-30-2011, 10:06 PM)Ace Wrote: No, you can merge it back into your main partition again. You delete the data from the partition, it become unallocated, and you extend the original again.

have you got AIM or MSN or Skype? Something where I can contact you not just through here?
I've got an IRC page, I don't really go on my MSN much.

http://www.techlifeforum.net/livechat/chat.html

Or through an IRC client if you want.

Code:
IRC Server Details:
server: zoidberg.centralchat.net
port: 6667
channel: #TechLifeForum
(07-30-2011, 10:06 PM)Ace Wrote: No, you can merge it back into your main partition again. You delete the data from the partition, it become unallocated, and you extend the original again.

That is news to me, I was told a long time ago it wasn't possible. Never tried for myself. Thanks.
[Image: newsigcarbidenoborder.png]
(07-30-2011, 10:46 PM)Carbide Wrote: That is news to me, I was told a long time ago it wasn't possible. Never tried for myself. Thanks.

I actually just did it right now lol. It's possible, I had 100GB unallocated from when I had my Linux partition but apparently I forgot to merge it back in.
It would be useful to me, if I wasn't only able to unallocate 12mb of data.
(07-31-2011, 12:01 AM)Believable Wrote: It would be useful to me, if I wasn't only able to unallocate 12mb of data.

I don't know what kind of limits there are with Drive management, but I know it won't let you shrink down until you have only 10kb left of your physical HD space. I think it factors in a formula for temporary files and data that ISN'T displayed as physical data on your computer through the "memory" left behind with deleted files and other things like that. It probably has lots of things factored in to prevent you from corrupting your system with the wrong settings.
(07-31-2011, 12:07 AM)Ace Wrote: I don't know what kind of limits there are with Drive management, but I know it won't let you shrink down until you have only 10kb left of your physical HD space. I think it factors in a formula for temporary files and data that ISN'T displayed as physical data on your computer through the "memory" left behind with deleted files and other things like that. It probably has lots of things factored in to prevent you from corrupting your system with the wrong settings.

Maybe, I'll just run it Side by Side when the other user Carbide replies to my PM.