Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Some Installation Help
Hey SupportForums.

I have recently downloaded Ubuntu onto my RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol)

When I went to install it, it says "Cannot find directory", how is it going to find the directory if it hasn't installed it? If anyone can help me on TeamViewer with this, that would be great. I'v tried multiple things to try and get is working.

RDP Info:

Why are you installing onto a Remote desktop protocol?

Install on a virtual machine or a separate partition. That's my personal suggestion.
I don't have a VM, and I want to keep my Windows 7 on my laptop, thanks for replying though.
(07-30-2011, 01:07 PM)Believable Wrote: I don't have a VM, and I want to keep my Windows 7 on my laptop, thanks for replying though.

If you install on a separate partition you are keeping your laptop with windows 7
(07-30-2011, 03:40 PM)Ace Wrote: If you install on a separate partition you are keeping your laptop with windows 7

Yes I know, but won't it also fill up a lot of memory?
(07-30-2011, 04:01 PM)Believable Wrote: Yes I know, but won't it also fill up a lot of memory?

Memory? Memory isn't used for both the Windows OS and the Linux OS if you have them on separate partitions though, full memory will go allocated towards the partition with the OS you're running. If you have 20-50GB of hard drive space to spare you're good. Depending on how much you want to store on your Linux partition (data)
If you need additional help. send me PM.
(07-30-2011, 04:17 PM)Ace Wrote: Memory? Memory isn't used for both the Windows OS and the Linux OS if you have them on separate partitions though, full memory will go allocated towards the partition with the OS you're running. If you have 20-50GB of hard drive space to spare you're good. Depending on how much you want to store on your Linux partition (data)

Do you think this'll be good?: [Image: 76e349eef3de5d29f865c95be1d751c7.png]

That's just a screen shot of my HDD, if that's good, do you think you could help me setting it up through TeamViewer? Thanks for your support. Smile
Alright, so you have 180GB left. Do you have an external HD at all? What every computer user should be doing in my opinion... If they can. Is put all of their personal (portable) files like music, pictures, documents, videos, etc... All onto their external, which saves space on the main HD.

Here's my List of Hard drives. C:\ and D:\ are the same drive, just separate partitions. Then I have my external.
[Image: ijfzhC.png]

You can get away with allocating 20GB of hard drive space to Linux, and that's usually sufficient for most users. That would leave you with 160 GB space left on your main. At a later point i'd recommend getting an external, I hardly store anything on my main drive, except for programs and other things like that. All of my files are more safe on my external in case my computer needs a reformat on the main drive. Unless somehow my external becomes corrupted.

I'm sure it'll take you quite a while to fill up that 160GB anyway. You've got lots of space as far as i'm concerned. I have enough space that i've set aside 100GB for my Linux. A little over doing it, but i'd say 30-40GB is decent.
I was seriously considering an external HDD, but I have no clue on the prices / sizes of what you can get. It would indeed be very handy and would save so much space. I will maybe look into it more around Christmas time.