Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[tut] Starting your Own Web Hosting Company
Great tutorial.

The biggest thing you'll need is commitment. I had a web hosting service at one point, I smartly opened up a post-to-host subsite, which let all the skiddies in. Big mistake, the server was hacked and wiped twice, I gave the clients and site to another post2host, and they tanked two weeks after. Sad.

A word of advice: Don't have rock-bottom prices for any online business. That allows you to weed out all the skiddies and lowlifes that will just end up screwing you over.
The basic way on starting a mini hosting company is just get either reseller, master reseller or alpha reseller. It is a great way to start a mini one. A huge hosting company is you will have to buy dedicated servers and so much more.
Do not tell people to get a master/alpha reseller. First of all the cPanel mod isn't stable. It bugs a lot. Second of all, how can you even think that's a good idea? Do you know the amount of domains that end up on those servers? And the ridiculous load? Please, if you're going to make asinine suggestions do it somewhere else. This is a serious thread.

timestandstill, you're correct. It does take a lot of commitment. I'm starting my company back up in about 6 months, but I already will have about 5k / month of revenue after bills and taxes because about 1/2 of my old clients are coming back. However, most people won't see profit for at least a year, maybe even 2+
Do you know how to make games? Do you know 3d Modeling? If so then visit
[Image: logo.png]
Wow, that was a great read. I had actually intended on starting a hosting company, but realized it had a lot more to it than meets the eye. But then again, I guess that's for any business in general. Lol.

So to start out, what if I were to buy a "Reseller Hosting" plan from, let's say, HostGator, would I really need to do that much more? Or could I simply just, purchase the plan, then move on to start business? What other things would I need to do first?

I appreciate your help. Smile
If you want to get a decent amount of customers skip the reseller plan. People know you're on a reseller if all you can offer is shared hosting, plus HostGator has a custom cPanel that will give it away.
(07-30-2010, 01:38 PM)Grizzly Wrote: If you want to get a decent amount of customers skip the reseller plan. People know you're on a reseller if all you can offer is shared hosting, plus HostGator has a custom cPanel that will give it away.

True, I completely forgot about their cPanel. What is this "shared" hosting? And how does it make that much of a difference from "normal" hosting? Sorry for the stupid question.
How big do you have to get to see any real results though?
Shared hosting, is standard hosting packages that you see on websites for an average of $5/month.

Swat Runs Train, that depends, on your package prices and your bills you have to pay. You won't start making real money for a while though. You probably won't break even until after the first year, counting all the money you invest at the beginning and all you pay throughout your time running.
(07-30-2010, 01:38 PM)Grizzly Wrote: People know you're on a reseller if all you can offer is shared hosting

Wrong - many shared hosts don't offer resellers, and many resellers offer more resellers ("master reseller").

It's usually pretty easy to tell just by site design and such.
good tut mate love the info you give thanks this will help aload of people out =)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Web Hosting for Asp with High Uptime? Tilsun 2 222 05-24-2024, 01:43 AM
Last Post: Adnorips
  Web Hosting Required Tilsun 6 587 11-27-2023, 02:34 AM
  best web hosting? Kdstack 6 424 11-03-2023, 01:47 AM
Last Post: Mirandas
  Cheap Web Hosting Required Mirandas 5 457 10-30-2023, 02:40 AM
  Need hosting for Huge traffic web site Adnorips 4 437 04-05-2023, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Tilsun