Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What should be done?
FirefoxWiz Wrote:Do you think I have too many rules, Papa?

Well, it's not for me to tell you how to run your forum. But since you asked I'll say this: yeah, I personally
feel that you could shorten them even a little bit more. I say this for two reasons. The first, I've already mentioned: if prospective new members see a lot of rules, they might feel like they're gonna have to walk on eggshells if they join. The second is this: as your membership grows, sooner or later you are going to get a member that just wants to make trouble.
They'll be just bad enough to be a pain in the butt but they won't QUITE be bad enough to kick out.
(Being a pain is their hobby and they are careful to know where the line is.) They'll argue with you on every rule and at every chance. If you have a lot of specific rules, you give them more room to argue with you. If you have just a few general rules, they don't have as much room to argue because, with general rules, more is left up to the judgment of the admin.
With specific rules, you'll find yourself having to make a lot of changes and adjustments as you go along and every time you have to change the rules, you hurt your credibility as an admin.

I want to be clear that I do not have ANY PROBLEM with the rules as they are. I just feel like you might be able to cover the same territory in fewer, more general rules.

But this is just my opinion which isn't any more valuable than your own.

Papa

Messages In This Thread
What should be done? - by FirefoxWiz - 03-24-2006, 06:57 AM