Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Python script pulling data from XML file for Eve-Online data
I'm in Ubuntu using Conky. I also play EVE-Online [and if you do, "No, I do not want to join your corp"]. I have this set of Python scripts that pull data from XML files that get my character status and other info. The problem is that the whole thing doesn't work; Nothing is outputted to my Conky. Seeing as I am unfamiliar with Python, I thought I'd ask you guys for some support.

I know that I'm getting the info OK because I can open the XML files and see perfectly clear that it contains a bunch of stuff about my character.

So let me just give you an example of what I'm dealing with; The following script gets my character name from the XML file:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/python
from xml.dom.minidom import parse
from xml import xpath
import os

doc = parse("/home/me/eve/character.xml")

print doc.getElementsByTagName("name")[0].childNodes[0].nodeValue,

And the following is a portion of the XML file:
Code:
<eveapi version="2">
  <currentTime>2009-11-10 00:53:09</currentTime>
  <result>
    <characterID>57371xxxx</characterID>
    <name>[My Name]</name>
    <race>Gallente</race>
    <bloodLine>Gallente</bloodLine>
    <gender>Male</gender>
. . . .etc, etc, etc. . . .

So the "print" command in that python script doesn't work; Why not?
Okay, further development: I tried running the Python script by itself in a terminal [works OK with my Gmail python script I use in Conky], but the following is the output:

Code:
xxx@xxx:~$ python /home/me/eve/eve-name.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/me/eve/eve-name.py", line 3, in <module>
    from xml import xpath
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/_xmlplus/xpath/__init__.py", line 105, in <module>
    import Context
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/_xmlplus/xpath/Context.py", line 15, in <module>
    import CoreFunctions
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/_xmlplus/xpath/CoreFunctions.py", line 20, in <module>
    from xml.xpath import Util, Conversions
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/_xmlplus/xpath/Conversions.py", line 22, in <module>
    from xml.utils import boolean
ImportError: cannot import name boolean

Can anybody interpret those compile errors? This is from running that script that I first posted above.

Messages In This Thread
Python script pulling data from XML file for Eve-Online data - by J4P4NM4N - 11-09-2009, 05:57 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Python Help Dεlluzion 3 1,793 09-30-2019, 12:59 AM
Last Post: samsmith001
  Fetch data from a web page hami1981 1 1,219 09-05-2014, 01:45 PM
Last Post: hami1981
  How to display variable serial data on Tkinter window. srinivas.rambha 0 947 06-17-2013, 05:54 AM
Last Post: srinivas.rambha
  Python to parse text file and get the count of items magicjack89 0 652 06-28-2012, 10:01 AM
Last Post: magicjack89
  How to Run a Python Script..? Need Help aloneak 4 1,547 05-03-2012, 06:55 AM
Last Post: Rhynorater