Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A common misconception - OS X is UNIX.
So I've just decided to have a look around the Apple section and I'm seeing Mac vs. PC flame wars appearing everywhere - I know that there's always going to be Mac/PC flame-wars and there's no stopping that - as a Mac user myself I think OS X is the clear winner here- but that's beside the point.
There is a twist in the Mac VS. PC battle; I saw someone basically starting a 'Mac VS. PC VS. Linux' thread which I thought was stupid - here's why.

99% of people think that OS X was built from scratch and that ALL of the code was done internally by Apple; this is NOT the case - OS X is actually based on BSD UNIX; Linux being a UNIX clone..I think it's fair to say that OS X is 'basically' Linux, you can compile 99% of Linux/UNIX programs without any porting (if you have the right libraries) ; and there's the awesome 'macports' project for the programs that DO need porting- OS X even comes with X11 so you can run Linux/UNIX GUI applications.
I know this is a badly written post but I just thought I should get it out there; to all the Linux guys telling us OS X users to switch..we already have!
[Completely Honest. Seriously.]

Protip: Anonymous Reputation Points are for Pussies

Messages In This Thread
A common misconception - OS X is UNIX. - by manipulate - 10-20-2009, 06:05 PM