Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Insall OS on brand new blank HDD problem
So I had this piece o' crap 200GB hard drive in which I was keeping everything on. Now it's just not enough space so I got me a shiny new Western Digital SATA3 1TB HDD from Newegg. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6822136533) So I connected it to my mobo blah blah blah - it's plugged in. I start my comp up (without my 200GB drive in) and try to install Windows 7 Ult 64bit via a bootable USB drive. Windows setup loads properly and all, I go to select a place to install it and see a Disk0 with 9350ish Gigs on it. It's not partitioned or anything, but when I try to install it I get a "Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition. See the setup log files for more information." I can go into advanced options and format and stuff but everything I try to do doesn't work. This problem is driving me crazy and am suppose to be giving away my old HDD to a friend, so I would like to get this fixed fast. (I am using the HDD now so I can diagnose this problem.)
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
[Image: Sig2.jpg]
Insert your new HDD, then format it while in windows (Using your 200gb with OS on it)

Then try to remove your 200gb and install OS on the 1tb disk. Good luck!
(09-23-2011, 03:06 PM)|Z3R0| Wrote: So I had this piece o' crap 200GB hard drive in which I was keeping everything on. Now it's just not enough space so I got me a shiny new Western Digital SATA3 1TB HDD from Newegg. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6822136533) So I connected it to my mobo blah blah blah - it's plugged in. I start my comp up (without my 200GB drive in) and try to install Windows 7 Ult 64bit via a bootable USB drive. Windows setup loads properly and all, I go to select a place to install it and see a Disk0 with 9350ish Gigs on it. It's not partitioned or anything, but when I try to install it I get a "Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition. See the setup log files for more information." I can go into advanced options and format and stuff but everything I try to do doesn't work. This problem is driving me crazy and am suppose to be giving away my old HDD to a friend, so I would like to get this fixed fast. (I am using the HDD now so I can diagnose this problem.)
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

From what I can see you didn't even format the new drive to NTFS. Go do that in your main OS with drive management and the setup shouldn't need to create a volume. Next issue would be your USB with the Windows 7 setup on it. I'm assuming this is pirated? If so we can't help you further here.
you have to format your new drive to NTFS. keep both HDDs in your comp while you do it.
Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah, I thought that formatting the drive while in the OS setup was the same as doing it from within an OS. SO I tried that and got it to NTFS, that actually didn't work. I did however get it to work. What I did was use EASEUS Partition Master and ended up copying my old OS to the blank HDD then installing the OS over that old one. Not sure why it wasn't working but that ended up fixing the problem. Again, thanks for the many fast and friendly replies.
[Image: Sig2.jpg]
(09-24-2011, 04:23 PM)|Z3R0| Wrote: Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah, I thought that formatting the drive while in the OS setup was the same as doing it from within an OS. SO I tried that and got it to NTFS, that actually didn't work. I did however get it to work. What I did was use EASEUS Partition Master and ended up copying my old OS to the blank HDD then installing the OS over that old one. Not sure why it wasn't working but that ended up fixing the problem. Again, thanks for the many fast and friendly replies.

good to hear you got it resolved bud

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with replacing hdd. Annuit Coeptis 6 1,205 07-20-2011, 11:28 AM
Last Post: Annuit Coeptis
  Windows 7 from Ext. HDD ProspectDotNet 19 4,026 10-09-2009, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Ovchik