Support Forums
That One Forum (Running MyBB) - Printable Version

+- Support Forums (https://www.supportforums.net)
+-- Forum: Categories (https://www.supportforums.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=87)
+--- Forum: Life Support (https://www.supportforums.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+---- Forum: Omni's Secret Hidden Inside Tricks (https://www.supportforums.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+---- Thread: That One Forum (Running MyBB) (/showthread.php?tid=9556)

Pages: 1 2

That One Forum (Running MyBB) - blh765 - 03-09-2007

Well, I've created my last forum, and I hope it turns out. The name is That One Forum. Here you can talk about almost anything, from the PSP to your favorite music, to the Wii and more. We have staff positions open as well. Please consider joining this great forum!

www.thatoneforum.createmybb.com

Thanks!

RE: That One Forum (Running MyBB) - FirefoxWiz - 03-09-2007

Review.

Guests outlook:
Uncustomized forum, except for the orange and green that doesn't match (Tongue) Change some colors, such as the blue thead image, and the sub header.
Secondly there are thousands of general chat forums, however good luck with this one and you seem to have pretty active members.

Skin, Look & Feel:
What can I say? Skin is default, needs some color changing here. Make it unique!
You have alot of forums, some of which only have one or two threads. Consider merging these till you have need for them. And the advertisement and protmotion, I'd keep these hidden until you got enough members with enough posts to use it, else they are just going to spam until they get the required posts to post there.
And the spam forum. This is a very bad idea. Spam is unacceptable on forums and is greatly looked down on, so you make a section just for it? Nah... Confusedick:

Community Feel:
Member of the week seems to be a good thing to get members active and get their rewards. Rolleyes
You have a nice active community (it seems) with truly dedicated staff.

Summary of recommended changes:
1. Spice up the skin with some images and colors of your own, even if you have to request them (there's always MyBB Themes! Tongue)
2. Merge some forums
3. Hide/Delete the Advertising and Spam forums
4. Nothing else!

FW

RE: That One Forum (Running MyBB) - mike_mybb_import3284 - 03-09-2007

If you need Themes for MyBB, I'm your man right now. Free. I'm in sync with my inner themer right now, and I'm bored cause I've got nothing to do. If you want me to do it, just mail me with ya specs.

RE: That One Forum (Running MyBB) - FirefoxWiz - 03-09-2007

LOL! Maybe I'll get you to make me a custom skin to see how your skills are. Smile Tongue

RE: That One Forum (Running MyBB) - blh765 - 03-11-2007

Thanks guys. Updated the theme, ect. Removed the Spam forum and the Advertising forum. Thanks again for the help.

RE: That One Forum (Running MyBB) - FirefoxWiz - 03-11-2007

BL Wrote:Thanks guys. Updated the theme, ect. Removed the Spam forum and the Advertising forum. Thanks again for the help.
The skin looks the same to me?

RE: That One Forum (Running MyBB) - blh765 - 03-11-2007

It's not orange and green anymore...

RE: That One Forum (Running MyBB) - FirefoxWiz - 03-14-2007

Ok, pardon. I ment all the orange and yellow, but now it seems there's only orange. You need to customize the theme a bit, where the blue thead is and all. ;)

RE: That One Forum (Running MyBB) - MrMedic - 03-14-2007

blh765 Wrote:Well, I've created my last forum, and I hope it turns out. The name is That One Forum. Here you can talk about almost anything, from the PSP to your favorite music, to the Wii and more. We have staff positions open as well. Please consider joining this great forum!

www.thatoneforum.createmybb.com

Thanks!

Alright, I hate to say this, but there are some things you should probably be aware of, be prepared for some fairly harsh, but very constructive criticism:

There are waaaaaay too many forums out there that cover everything, I don't really see what would set yours apart from the rest as of now. Your forums need to stick out from the crowd! My reccomendation is that you come up with something you want your forums to revolve around. My forums revolve around school, this place obviously revolves around Fire Fox, I think you get my point.

Also, using the default theme sends the message to potential users that you haven't put in much work and it also deters them from joining because the default theme is so familiar, as Lacy said, make it unique!

In addition, having a whole section for moderator applications and even accepting any staff members this early in the game makes no sense. Getting too many staff members this early or just having too many in general can scare off members. Staff members should only be recruited when you can no longer handle the forums by yourself.

That's my $0.02. Good luck,

RE: That One Forum (Running MyBB) - Dr Small - 03-14-2007

I totally agree with MrMedic. There are so many different forums out there, all based on a general topic, that it makes it dull and boring and a spam palace. Your forum needs to be about a special thing, or what your favorite thing is that others find intrest in also ;)

Like mine, Internet Security Forums, aparently most people don't find intrest in that subjuct Tongue

MrMedic Wrote:That's my $0.02. Good luck,
Shouldn't that be like, "That's my 2¢ worth" ? Tongue

PS, I had to do a google search of how to find the cents symbol =P

Dr Small