Support Forums
Linux vs. Windows? - Printable Version

+- Support Forums (https://www.supportforums.net)
+-- Forum: Categories (https://www.supportforums.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=87)
+--- Forum: Webmaster Support (https://www.supportforums.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=36)
+---- Forum: Web Hosting (https://www.supportforums.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=40)
+---- Thread: Linux vs. Windows? (/showthread.php?tid=3274)

Pages: 1 2

Linux vs. Windows? - Elektrisk - 12-02-2009

Hi.
I'm going to buy website hosting soon, and am not certain whether I should just go with Linux, or what. I have limited experience with Linux, but I keep reading that Linux is a better choice overall as opposed to Windows. I don't plan to use ASP or Frontpage, so should I just go with Linux? I'm at a loss here. Thanks.

RE: Linux vs. Windows? - Grizzly - 12-02-2009

Just use Linux. Especially because you're only going to need shared hosting starting out, you don't need any knowledge about server management.

RE: Linux vs. Windows? - manipulate - 12-03-2009

If you're just going for shared hosting the OS shouldn't matter to you anyway, and as far as I see it Windows should only be used if you want to use some Windows-ish dynamic stuff (ASP.etc), and ASP is stupid anyway so just stick with Linux

RE: Linux vs. Windows? - Dutchcoffee - 12-06-2009

I tried Windows hosting once, and didn't really like it as there isn't much supported for it. I later switched to Linux hosting, and was happy of the change because I was able to use some more features.

RE: Linux vs. Windows? - Gone - 12-06-2009

Windows is the most confusing way to manage an server operating system. Not just because it has a gui (Which is confusing) Its all the options. You can create more groups (which makes more to fix for chmods) You can have apps deployed easily (Which has more issues...) etcetcetc. You can use linux for some of these (with things like OPSI) But people seem to love it. The only thing i haven't found that you can do on a windows server, would be the BES server. (Blackberry enterprise server). You can do most of the user managment from a SAMBA server. You can do firewalls easy with open/freebsd. Its all doable on linux. Not to mention linux is much cheaper. The only time i have had a fast booting windows server is my at my work, where it has 32gb of ram in it. Thats the only reason its useable really. Whereas the old system with samba had 3 gigs of ram. (Not to mention it also had a heavily used mail server running on it)

In short, windows is a better desktop, not server.
Also ASP/Asp.net can be done VIA mono.

RE: Linux vs. Windows? - Xon - 12-10-2009

Having actually used and run both... definitely go with linux. Even if you have to set up your own server, windows is a pain and confusing as all get out. I can have a linux server setup in and hour. Windows servers take me a day or two...

RE: Linux vs. Windows? - Solidus - 12-10-2009

Well, I actually prefer Windows but Linux is the choice for beginners, it's easier to get going.
Plus you wont be using ASP, so Linux is for you.

RE: Linux vs. Windows? - vividWire - 12-29-2009

If you know me well, this is a topic which really fires me up! Smile Unless you need to use a Windows Application Hosting platform above a Linux one for a specific reason (e.g. you know more ASP.NET than PHP, or your choice of apps require a Windows based environment, or you're more familiar with administering the Windows platform), then go straight for Linux.

I've recently had a few lengthily arguments over Messenger with regards to this - and in my opinion, as far as hosting goes, one platform should not be considered as "better" than the other. Windows has licensing costs attached to it (as does RedHat/premium distributions of Linux), whilst most Linux server distros (e.g. CentOS) don't - therefore, Linux is often cheaper to run. Yes, Linux may not run with Remote Desktop out of the box, but it is incredibly well documented, and you can administer it with ease through a control panel - despite the occasional need to go into shell. One platform isn't "faster" than the other - my motto is quite simply, go Windows if you need it. Otherwise, it simply isn't worth the money.

RE: Linux vs. Windows? - Zomaian - 12-29-2009

I would suggest you to use Linux do to the fact that it is faster for website hosting. But if you would like to host a private gaming server or a batch you will need Windows ;)

RE: Linux vs. Windows? - vividWire - 12-29-2009

(12-29-2009, 09:20 AM)Zomaian Wrote: I would suggest you to use Linux do to the fact that it is faster for website hosting. But if you would like to host a private gaming server or a batch you will need Windows ;)

As stated in my previous post, it depends on what you wish to achieve from your server. If you are comparing a Linux server running Nginx (web server) to a Windows server running Apache 2.2, and are performing tests with static content, then it's an apples to oranges comparison - Nginx will easily out perform the other. It's the same with PHP and ASP - if you want PHP, then it will be far more cost effective to go with a Linux environment, but the performance your server can achieve will depend on its specifications and configuration.

I'd also like to point out the wonders of Linux - it can happily host a game server. For example, cPanel Game Server supports many modern games and is there to be run on a Linux box. It's a simple case of if you don't need any Windows exclusive features, or if you are equally comfortable with a Linux environment and you can achieve the same or better results, then go for a Linux platform.