Support Forums
[TUT] How to Manually Remove a Virus [TUT] - Printable Version

+- Support Forums (https://www.supportforums.net)
+-- Forum: Categories (https://www.supportforums.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=87)
+--- Forum: Virus Protection, Removals, and HJT Team (https://www.supportforums.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+---- Forum: Virus Removal, Hijack This Logs, and Support (https://www.supportforums.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=48)
+---- Thread: [TUT] How to Manually Remove a Virus [TUT] (/showthread.php?tid=16795)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

[TUT] How to Manually Remove a Virus [TUT] - Codad Law - 03-10-2011

Depending on what kind of virus you have you may have to do this in safe mode. You can get there when your computer starts up. There will usually be a loading screen that says "Click 'THIS' for startup menu" Then you proceed to "Start in Safe Mode"

Open the value of the registry key before you delete it, and run the path not the application, locate the application and delete the executable file.

I suggest that before you do any of this you go through and delete all cookies and temporary files. This will help speed up your computer too. If you aren't sure of something right it down so if you mess up you can always fix it later.

#1 Remove from Registry Edit (Regedit)

1. Go to Start > Run > Type "Regedit" and click "Enter

2. Follow the pictures below:

[Image: 3-10-20117-58-44PM.png]
[Image: 3-10-20117-59-43PM.png]
[Image: 3-10-20118-00-52PM.png]
[Image: 3-10-20118-02-06PM.png]
[Image: 3-10-20118-03-02PM.png]
[Image: 3-10-20118-03-49PM.png]
[Image: 3-10-20118-05-20PM.png]

If you are not sure if it is a virus or not go to www.Google.com and search it. This is the best way to determine if it is a virus and of what kind.

#2 System Restore

This one is fairly simple. This will restore you computer to a previous date. Automatic restore points are saved when you download updates for programs like Java. This will restore your computer to exactly how it was on a specific date.
The downside to this is you may lose important documents. Before doing this please backup all of your important files.

1. Open up your "Control Panel"

2. Click "System and Security"

3. Click "System"

4. On the left side of the window click "System Protection"

5. Click "System Restore"

This will take you through a few steps, and it will show you when the last automatic restore point was. If this was more than a few weeks ago I would not suggest this method.

I, Codad Law, wrote this myself. If you think it was helpful please say so. If you have constructive criticism I would love to hear that too.. Thank you. :thumbsup:

RE: [TUT] How to Manually Remove a Virus [TUT] - Brawl - 03-10-2011

Pretty in depth tutorial you have made,I just let McAfee remove any viruses I get though lol, I'm too lazy to remove any viruses manually.

RE: [TUT] How to Manually Remove a Virus [TUT] - Codad Law - 03-10-2011

(03-10-2011, 06:36 PM)мιкe Wrote: Pretty in depth tutorial you have made,I just let McAfee remove any viruses I get though lol, I'm too lazy to remove any viruses manually.

I have bypassed McAfee hundreds of times. Along with Norton, Avira, Avast, Etc... What do you think a crypter is for?

RE: [TUT] How to Manually Remove a Virus [TUT] - Brawl - 03-10-2011

(03-10-2011, 06:42 PM)Codad Law Wrote: I have bypassed McAfee hundreds of times. Along with Norton, Avira, Avast, Etc... What do you think a crypter is for?
True,Haven't really though about all the crypted viruses I May have,I will give this a go tomorrow when I have some more spare time Smile

RE: [TUT] How to Manually Remove a Virus [TUT] - cobija - 03-11-2011

For the most part your tutorial is helpful, but when you say "delete anything that looks suspicious", that should only go towards people that understand their computers and know what they are doing. It might be better to say that you should research each line (shouldnt be more than 10 startup items unless you have a lot of programs) and go from there.

RE: [TUT] How to Manually Remove a Virus [TUT] - GrammarPhreak - 03-11-2011

& most viruses are gonna end with .exe

Avast is good to have running on your PC too, sometimes removes the virus before it infects you.

RE: [TUT] How to Manually Remove a Virus [TUT] - Impurity - 03-11-2011

Good job on the tutorial. The pictures really help. Theres a few other places that virus' will add, but I don't know them offhand. I'll see if I can remember later on and let you know. Either way, good job and thanks!

RE: [TUT] How to Manually Remove a Virus [TUT] - AceInfinity - 03-11-2011

This won't work 100% of the time, but there's still some useful information in here. I would have cleared up how to export a registry backup before making any modifications in there though in your tutorial. It's always good practice, and you should be doing it anyway for any edits you make, regardless of how risky you think they are.

Nice cutout images by the way lol Smile

RE: [TUT] How to Manually Remove a Virus [TUT] - Codad Law - 03-11-2011

haha I will add appdata and stuff too. There is obviously plenty of places for a virus to hide.

RE: [TUT] How to Manually Remove a Virus [TUT] - GrammarPhreak - 03-12-2011

So if I delete the virus from the registry edit, the virus will be gone?