Support Forums
Increased PM space? - Printable Version

+- Support Forums (https://www.supportforums.net)
+-- Forum: Support Forum Information (https://www.supportforums.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Site News and Feedback (https://www.supportforums.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Increased PM space? (/showthread.php?tid=16203)

Pages: 1 2

Increased PM space? - Sam - 02-16-2011

Can we have our PM size increased please? For me personally I've reached the limit five times and then I have to sort through all of them deleting un-needed messages one by one.

More of a personal request.

RE: Increased PM space? - AceInfinity - 02-16-2011

I've never had to delete any of my messages but i've never reached the limit, I think the limit is sufficient at the capacity that it's at right now. Increasing the space we can use would be like increasing the avatar upload file size. It's a waste on the database. I don't need to have more than 20 messages that I need to keep in my PM box anyway, so they should be deleted regularly when you need room for more. That's just my opinion, but you probably use the Private Messaging function more than I do.

I have a total of 139 messages, and i've never deleted any, I should start to clean it up a bit, but i'm sure no one needs more than 50 or 100. It says i'm only at 28% of the space used so I think it's already at a very high limit.

RE: Increased PM space? - Gaijin - 02-16-2011

I have total of 0 messages.
Every message I get, gets deleted as soon as it isn't needed anymore.
There is no point of keeping PM's, even if you have the need you can save the message to your PC. (imho)
Like Infinity said, a poissible waste of db space isn't worth of increasing the size of your Inbox.

Just clean your inbox everytime you get online, if you have messages you want to keep in afterlife, save them... (maybe somewhere in the cloud)

RE: Increased PM space? - Sam - 02-16-2011

It won't be that taxing on the server at our current activity level.

RE: Increased PM space? - Gaijin - 02-16-2011

But then it may be lowered in the future, because of that fact.
Anyway, PM should serve for people to exchange other contact information or something similiar.
You can talk to someone over, skype, msn, icq, irc, facebook, myspace, twitter and many other things.

RE: Increased PM space? - Sam - 02-16-2011

It's a forum, PM can be used for anything.

RE: Increased PM space? - Griffin - 02-16-2011

I've got no need for this, however it will still be handy for those whom private message quite a bit.

RE: Increased PM space? - Swat Runs Train - 02-16-2011

Archive your PMs then clear your inbox. Simple stuff.

RE: Increased PM space? - MarkW7 - 02-17-2011

You can export your PMs.

RE: Increased PM space? - Grizzly - 02-17-2011

There really is no need for an increases in PM space. If you really need to keep more, than export them or copy them to a txt file. You say it wouldn't really effect the DB at our current activity level, but think, if every active member used their complete PM storage space when it was increased, it would cause issues. The bigger a DB gets the longer it takes to query it to pull up information. Just about every link on the site would start slowing down needlessly.