Support Forums
Let's talk about SOPA - Printable Version

+- Support Forums (https://www.supportforums.net)
+-- Forum: Categories (https://www.supportforums.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=87)
+--- Forum: Life Support (https://www.supportforums.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+---- Forum: Omni's Secret Hidden Inside Tricks (https://www.supportforums.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+---- Thread: Let's talk about SOPA (/showthread.php?tid=24498)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Let's talk about SOPA - BlackChaos - 01-12-2012

I am against SOPA in a way only true internet users can be and shall do what we internet users are capable of doing. I'm going to blog about it.

But on a more serious note, I think its one of the worst things that could happen to the world since nuclear explosions.

RE: Let's talk about SOPA - BreShiE - 01-12-2012

This is my first time of hearing about this, but if it does get passed then there will definitely be a huge fight between the government and hackers. I myself am against this motion, it sounds quite bad and surely would invade our human rights?

RE: Let's talk about SOPA - Techie. - 01-12-2012

This has nothing to do with me as I'm living in another country.

But yeah. Most of the sites are from US.

RE: Let's talk about SOPA - Gaijin - 01-12-2012

(01-12-2012, 02:09 AM)Shattering - Wrote: It doesn't concern you? What about this website? If it has some copyrighted content on it (I'm sure you will find something, it can get blocked). HF will be blocked, a lot of other sites will be blocked. YouTube & Facebook can get blocked.. But I don't think that will happen because they are to big.

but SOPA sucks man. When I first saw the bill, I was like DAFUQ??? It's just freakin stupid.

You are right.... I still claim it doesn't concern me, for 2 simple reasons....
1: My Site will never fall into this category
2: I don't give a fudge if Facebook/Youtube/SF/HF/etc gets closed/taken down

However, it is a fact, this bill is going against everything what internet is and I'm against it...
What about PirateBay, the site is online for years now, this bill will only block users from accessing that site, I don't belive that after all this time TPB will simply fall, and this is same for every other site of this type... So SOPA becomes simply useless waste of paper...

Site that will/would be taken down are only those that don't have the resources to fight back, no my concern, BUT IT IS WRONG....

RE: Let's talk about SOPA - Omniscient - 01-12-2012

Quote:PS, OMG! I am going to jail for 5 years, because of my warez blog

No but they're going to be quick about seizing your domain and removing the content without any due process.

I believe SOPA already has been stalled btw. It's been taken out of comittee and is currently going nowhere. It's not being voted on. There is however a similar bill called PIPA being considered.

RE: Let's talk about SOPA - Peter L - 01-12-2012

(01-11-2012, 08:32 PM)Gaijin Wrote: I don't think it concerns me, as I'm not US citizen nor I have any US servers... ;)
However, last I checked this bill passed, correct me if I'm wrong...

I think, that the bill will stop piracy but ignite something far more "dangerous" and "destructive", well it already did.
Hackers, white and black will unite against this bill, and for every site that was taken down, there will be 2 GOV sites taken down, if not even rooted, we've seen what anon can do, and now imagine every single hacker joining the cause, every single script-kiddie using LOIC like apps...

This will bring the cyber-war to it's true state...

I don't think you have the right idea. Any sites you use on American servers can be taken down, so if you enjoy using any sites like that there is a chance you won't for long.

And if you think hackers will start a war, you're wrong for the most part. If any hacker does that, they are misinformed and ignorant. "Yeah..these old people in Congress are passing a bill to censor the internet because they don't know what it is and how much they are ruining. Let's scare them even more with the anonymity of the internet by hacking their websites." There is no logic in hacking .gov websites, and it won't help the cause one bit.

(01-12-2012, 12:07 AM).Legacy. Wrote: I highly doubt that it will pass. It violates the constitution and our rights.
Where have you been? The constitution has been violated time and time again since its creation.

(01-12-2012, 06:00 AM)BreShiE Wrote: This is my first time of hearing about this, but if it does get passed then there will definitely be a huge fight between the government and hackers. I myself am against this motion, it sounds quite bad and surely would invade our human rights?

Lol, same as I said before. You won't see much hackers fighting back or doing anything productive. The only "fights" you'll see is of big companies fighting back in legal battles (youtube, google, facebook) to keep their websites up. I doubt the big ones will fall, they have insane amounts of money to be spent in legal disputes.

Small businesses, blogs, and forums will take the biggest hit here. All this bill will do is make it harder for websites to move up, which is not the goal at all. The bill is insanely silly tbh.

(01-12-2012, 10:17 AM)Omniscient Wrote: No but they're going to be quick about seizing your domain and removing the content without any due process.

I believe SOPA already has been stalled btw. It's been taken out of comittee and is currently going nowhere. It's not being voted on. There is however a similar bill called PIPA being considered.

Yes I mentioned Protect IP in the OP, the two are pretty much identical.

RE: Let's talk about SOPA - Miku - 01-12-2012

(01-11-2012, 08:32 PM)Gaijin Wrote: I don't think it concerns me, as I'm not US citizen nor I have any US servers... ;)
However, last I checked this bill passed, correct me if I'm wrong...

I think, that the bill will stop piracy but ignite something far more "dangerous" and "destructive", well it already did.
Hackers, white and black will unite against this bill, and for every site that was taken down, there will be 2 GOV sites taken down, if not even rooted, we've seen what anon can do, and now imagine every single hacker joining the cause, every single script-kiddie using LOIC like apps...

This will bring the cyber-war to it's true state...

The most scariest thing is other country will follow US's footsteps and pass similar bill. At the end, the whole world is censored.

RE: Let's talk about SOPA - Meat - 01-14-2012

(01-12-2012, 02:31 PM)intel 4004 Wrote: The most scariest thing is other country will follow US's footsteps and pass similar bill. At the end, the whole world is censored.

Tbh, I personally just think that SOPA is an excuse for censorship.
They are using the excuse of stopping online piracy, but what they really want is the internet censorship which is pretty bull crap.

RE: Let's talk about SOPA - Gaijin - 01-14-2012

(01-12-2012, 01:31 PM)Laugh Wrote: I don't think you have the right idea. Any sites you use on American servers can be taken down, so if you enjoy using any sites like that there is a chance you won't for long.

And if you think hackers will start a war, you're wrong for the most part. If any hacker does that, they are misinformed and ignorant. "Yeah..these old people in Congress are passing a bill to censor the internet because they don't know what it is and how much they are ruining. Let's scare them even more with the anonymity of the internet by hacking their websites." There is no logic in hacking .gov websites, and it won't help the cause one bit.

(01-12-2012, 12:07 AM).Legacy. Wrote: I highly doubt that it will pass. It violates the constitution and our rights.
Where have you been? The constitution has been violated time and time again since its creation.

(01-12-2012, 06:00 AM)BreShiE Wrote: This is my first time of hearing about this, but if it does get passed then there will definitely be a huge fight between the government and hackers. I myself am against this motion, it sounds quite bad and surely would invade our human rights?

Lol, same as I said before. You won't see much hackers fighting back or doing anything productive. The only "fights" you'll see is of big companies fighting back in legal battles (youtube, google, facebook) to keep their websites up. I doubt the big ones will fall, they have insane amounts of money to be spent in legal disputes.

Small businesses, blogs, and forums will take the biggest hit here. All this bill will do is make it harder for websites to move up, which is not the goal at all. The bill is insanely silly tbh.

Yes I mentioned Protect IP in the OP, the two are pretty much identical.

I hate myself right now, I misused the term Hacker...
It has happend with Anonymous, Script Kiddies got the LOIC and were raping buttons as they usually do.
While I enjoy Youtube and all the videos I'm NOT ABLE to watch because of some stupid crap like GEMA or Sony, I don't really care nor give a crap if youtube is being seized, everything ends sometime, only thing I care about is keeping my own servers online and running...
The thing however is;
There will be someone who will take this way to serious and same as with Anon, inspire people to fight back, with people I don't mean Hackers as Hackers, but media type hackers a.k.a kiddies...

But let's forget that, Youtube and Google for example, will most likely last forever while Facebook will fall one day or another undepended of SOPA... I agree with you that SOPA will make it hard for People to run their Blogs or Websites, which would be sad for everyone who is trying to get into buisness...

IMO, SOPA will fail to stop the real Piracy, since it's a fact that TPB is been online for years now and fighting against the Law all the time, let me check... ohh what a wonder... IT'S ONLINE Big Grin

Seizing websites, taking them down, will only force Spreaders to find another way of uploading their cracked and ripped content, it will not stop piracy at all...

I agree that SOPA is silly, but hey... it's not the first Bill that's silly, inside or outside of US, fact...
Quote:A pillow can be considered a “passive” weapon.

Piracy will exist forever, there is no-way in stoping it... well there is one, Brain-Washing, making humans into real mind-less slaves... (everyone)

RE: Let's talk about SOPA - Thomas - 01-14-2012

This was a big topic about six months ago. Everybody was saying the same thing they are now, but I think this video does a good job explaining it. [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srPARTDSLko&feature=channel_video_title[/yt]